Discussion Just caught up with Reverend Insanity

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by erocommander, Dec 11, 2018.

1. erocommander

erocommander Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So after finished Warlock of the Magus World, many people recommended this novel. I picked it up and it was pretty boring and basic at first until Legend of Ren Zu came.

Goddamn that Tales of Ren Zu, i love it. Its so deep and entertaining, sometime even more interesting than the arc it self. I'm really looking forward to see the other 7 children of his and how they were born.

Now about the novel, it it self is pretty good but i really don't like the MC. And mainly because he is not as great as Leylin. The MC in this novel is just a slave, a slave to path of pursuing eternity while Leylin is the master of his life. Leylin enjoyed his life, he said it himself he didn't want to be an eternal if he couldn't enjoy what life can offer while Fang Yuan doesn't enjoy anything. And screw with his logic enjoying the process, that is not how you enjoy thing.

I know some people is going to say "hey he already experienced all of that on his 2nd life", yeah you can still pursuing eternity while also enjoying life and his past life was mainly suffering too. He could have done it several times but nooo...

Thats what irk me the most, he is just a slave. Still going to read it thou.

2. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    Fang Yuan is a masochist. He likes to torture his own life.
    "One must be cruel to himself."

3. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK cool

4. cRAZiE

cRAZiE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wished there was a book only about Legends of Ren Zhu. This stuff is brilliant, very metamophoric and deep ;)

5. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally! Someone who appreciates the greatness of leylin!

*throws confetti*:blobparty:

6. Imperiestro

Imperiestro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe that Fang Yuan would enjoy life if he had an AI Chip which analyzes all Gu's recipes. But unfortunately it did not come to this world with one, so his mind has been modified until his soul with what happened in the world.

Dragon-sama and Berenice96 like this.
  7. samjack

samjack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes he recall his past or ruining the lives of naive girls
    I enjoy them

8. SweetShireen

SweetShireen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have the completely opposite opinion.

I love both characters but Fang Yuan beats Leylin by a mile. Leylin was that guy who the author said "LOOK! LOOK HOW SMART HE IS! LOOK HOW EVIL!!" but often it felt like his actions were taken because they were evil rather than rational. He was ALWAYS obsessed with achieving more and breaking his bloodline shackles (his main obsession even more than FY's immortality which is why after Shadow World, the story really took a turn for the worse).

Fang Yaun however is so so interesting bc he TRULY only commits evil when it's the rational thing to his advantage. When he can win by helping old ladies cross the street, he will do so! And his path is full of trial and error, he is living to the fullest and trying every option he can get his hands on. He doesnt have an almighty AI chip to do all the silly thinking for him and besides the time gu which has its own downsides, he is LITERALLY against the world and fate itself. Excuse the guy for not taking his sweet fun time and murdering an island of indigenous ppl for "fun"

FY is the true rational evil protagonist we deserve even if plebeians preach otherwise. :whistle:

9. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    He enjoyed himself in the process of finding the truth and achieving immortality. The enjoyment of people is not always the same. It's like how I take joy in reading novels and someone else takes joy in watching TV.

His mindset is also very static and unchanging, not like Leylin who would go from "I'm not the saint but I won't stoop that low" to "Haha, let manipulate the fall of the entire race for my own benefits" like wut? aren't you suppose to be evil?

10. SweetShireen

Reading List:
    Link
    Right boi went from "well ill kill some ppl but its bc i HAVE to to LIVE!" to "hey look an entire dimension of life how can i destroy it?!" ...me thinks Leylin had a BIT too much to smoke near the end.

Also I am laughing at OP sayin FY was a "slave to his path" and didnt have fun when at least we know that FY DOES have emotions, he even fell in love before! (cue AWWs) Meanwhile Leylin has his own harem but the first wife literally used for connections and the second he knocked up to shut her up, the former he doesnt even interact with for DECADES bc he spends that time in the basement raving over magic science lmaoo. He literally saw his kids like 2 times in his life and then he went back to his basement. Hows that for a slave to the path?

11. erocommander

Reading List:
    Link
    That is also the different between them, Leylin is a bonafide sociopath even when he was on earth as we already knew when he trapped in dreamscape while Fang Yuan is a product of environment.

This is basically what Paarthunax said but the opposite. But i still like Leylin much more because he enjoyed living and we see it while we read, fang yuan only some reminiscence and the goddamn thing was only stated with 2 lines in 600+ novels.

I enjoyed leylin making a family and amassing power of his clan while evolving his own children, he himself said he was becoming more humane after the child born.

Tl;dr i don't really like fang yuan, nothing can change my mind unless the future chapters gave me something to like. And no, im not laughing at your opinion.

12. SweetShireen

Reading List:
    Link
    allright bro no ones forcin u to change ur opinion but come on...

"he himself said he was becoming more humane after the child born."

Leylin? HUMANE?

[​IMG]

13. golfapichai

golfapichai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, I always confused Leylin and Linley.

14. addarash

addarash Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having read both novels up to their current raw (complete TL in WMW's case, of course), I can say that Fang Yuan beats Leylin by miles. That's not to say that Leylin is bad, but there really is no comparison between them in terms of depth of character, the work they put in and the scale of epicness they pull off. Segments of FY's past life get revealed gradually and the personality which he has formed from such experiences is explored well (it's also combined with events of the story, Ren Zu, etc). The most notable is probably in the 1200s but they are interspersed many times in the story. Such as v2 and v3 ending of the current translations as well.

Leylin is relatively more shallow; the premise is clearly "amoral scientist with an AI chip cheat", and though he certainly isn't dumb and generally makes correct decisions, they are nowhere near as thrilling. You get what you are looking for if you like the premise and a good read, but not especially more than that. Fang Yuan on the other hand manages to constantly find moments to stun the reader, both in terms of surprising cruelty for benefits and the actual victories he manages to earn. And especially the key point is earn. Fang Yuan does not have a single advantage other than his future knowledge and experiences and they gradually become much less relatively useful. He also pulls off a host of truly stunning victories (every single volume ending including several times in v5, for a start) whereas the only one comparable to these in Leylin's case was probably beating the bloodline curse and Snake Dowager/Beelzebub. It probably helps that RI has a true plotline and overarching story (becoming more evident in v4/v5 than at this point in the translations) to set up and pull these off.

The AI chip also is highly integral to Leylin's advancement in general and he never really has to step out of his comfort zone to get past his limits (the closest was probably the bloodline thing but it was still the AI chip doing the bulk of the work). Certainly he can't be begrudged for making use of his cheat but he is never genuinely at a dead end because of it and for the most part steadily advances. Fang Yuan does not have any such advantage compared to "normal" people of the world and several times he runs into true obstacles that he has to rack his brains to get around. He also has to do all his calculating and research on his own rather than letting millions of simulations be run by the AI chip. The problems and enemies he faces are all extremely formidable relative to him alone as well (he actually faces real losses multiple times) and yet in the end he is able to come out on top.

I don't really think this is much of a question for anyone who has read up to 1.5k or more chapters in RI, personally. At this stage of the translation it might be less evident but by later on in the story it is obvious how much more development and work is put into Fang Yuan's character and actions.

Edit: I should mention that the Twilight Zone arc ending was quite good as well. Though not a "challenge" as such but certainly stunning and engaging to read.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  15. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

- Warlock Magus novel is Shit, overhyped, full of plot holes with poor writing skills.

- I even had headaches when I forced myself to read Warlock due to boredom.

- Leylin, the mc, thinks like a 12-year-old kid at most who is also raised in an evil environment. I always found better options and decisions in the name of MC, whereas the author only makes 12 years old decisions or doesn't give any reason for the decisions at all. Such a pitiful writing that is as I don't even wanna mention some of the bad fighting scene writings.

- As for the slavery aspect, I'm not saying it's good or bad, but if we're looking for that aspect, Leylin is also a slave of his bodily desires. His so-called "fun" is just a need for the body and DNA structure such as having sex (for the DNA; keeping the production), eating a meal (for the Body; to survive). "Fun" is just a hormone of dopamine.
    Thus, this slavery subject means nothing, but only shows your ignorance in philosophy and biology.

Imperiestro likes this.
  16. erocommander

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that is what basically fun is, you can't deny that. And no, there is not a single 12-year-old kid can do what Leylin did with that hype arc of Purgatory World or Twilight Zone. Give credit where its due mate.

17. Roxxman

Roxxman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as addarash said, once you reach the 1500ish chapters for DG/RI you realize the difference, not to mention there is hardly any opposition vs Leylin while Fang Yuan knows he has the "Good" guys breathing down his neck since day 1 of his rebirth and creating a genuine pressure.. There is never 1 point in DG/RI where you sit back and think "Oh finally we get a few chapters of quiet" whereas Leylins case is mostly / if not always the opposite.

Imperiestro likes this.
  18. Hopeless

Hopeless Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's funny, I actually 100% agree. But the exact same thing also applies to RI.

I really don't get why all of you get so triggered by this. I've read RI up to around 1550. Reverend Insanity is a novel that pretended to fix the most annoying shit in wuxia... for about 100-200 chapters. Then it started going downhill, just like every other chinese novel, and became just as bad as every other chinese novel.

Plot holes by the dozen, non-existant writing, the entire setting changing from what was established into the standard bullshit: MC acting like a retard half the time and everyone else forgetting they ever had a brain, unless you're the current antagonist, in which case although you still won't have a brain, you now get to contribute some plot armor to try and patch them plot holes.

Also... Wtf? How? Fang Yuan literally has no enemies, he went back to being a teen with literally no background, and nobody has any idea he exists. Whatever enemies he has at any point, they are the enemies he sought. The only thing that actually created some pressure was the Spring Autumn Cicada, and even then that only happens towards the end of the first arc, which is around the point where the entire story begins to slowly get retarded.

I'd like to mention that by ch1500, RI is literally no better than pretty much any other cultivation novel. I guess you could say that at best, it is at the top of rock-bottom tier.

19. Randomnames

Randomnames New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People probably get mad at you because you seem to only make claims. Everything you've written so far has had 1 example, and looks more like bait than an actual argument.
    Fang Yaun did indeed start with no enemies, but as the chapters continued the number increases rapidly. He starts with arguably none, then become enemies with his brother, aunt and uncle. After a few more chapters the list grows to his entire class, and a elder or two. This isn't even bringing up the inspectors that are paid to investigate a murder he committed. Your claim that he has no enemies is even contradicted by yourself in the next sentence.
    As for your claim that he sought out his enemies it is correct in a way. Fang Yaun Commits actions throughout the story that have side effects. The murder of the merchant early on is a perfect example. Fang Yaun brings a merchant to the wine monks inheritance cave to try and sell a recording of the fight with his clans old leader. When they get there the video stops and tells them there's more to the inheritance. Fang Yaun then choose to kill the merchant to keep this a secret. This has the effect of his brother investigating. This chain of events isn't Fang Yaun seeking out enemies, this is him trying to make the best out of the situation. He even tries to hide as many traces as possible. The actions he takes does cause him to gain enemies throughout the story, but this is different from trying to make enemies.

20. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also don't quite like RI, but I think you misunderstand.
    First, "enjoying life" should be "spend life to do whatever you like". And that's EXACTLY what FY does: he likes pursuing the eternity.
    Second, FY is in no position to be lazy, even for a moment. He's always under pressure. He does feel joy, it's just that he needs to suppress them to maintain the ration thinking.

aml.1908 and GDLiZy like this.