Question just found out my work has been reposted on a site

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by urlocalenfer, May 14, 2021.

1. urlocalenfer

urlocalenfer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is there anything I can do about this? I mentioned in my site that if my work is shared anywhere else on the net, I will stop translating it ;c but it is only been less than a day since I posted.

Isabelle likes this.
  2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    if it is an aggregator site, you can't do anything about it.

3. urlocalenfer

urlocalenfer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    alright, thank you for your help :( I am still new to this haha

4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    you can upload the chapter as images, if you don't mind readers complaining. That will stop them from reuploading your chapters

5. AvgMan

AvgMan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to use plugins that protect ur post from being copied.

6. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    Please dooooon't, many people (me as one of them) use Google translate to read into their original language, into images it becames almost impossible QAQ

UnGrave likes this.
  7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry to say this mate, but there is no practical way to beat aggregator sites... You can try various anti click thingies and all but parsing through webpages to steal the content on them is pretty easy.

8. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most aggregators are run by bots that can't see your announcements, so you could either make good on your promise to stop translating, or you could continue. They'll probably keep on copy-pasting stuff from your website though.

You could try to install anti-bot measures, but honestly those detract from reading experience and have to be pretty convoluted to fool bots.

Your typical right-click and Ctrl-C blocker, like the ones on Webnovel, actually isn't effective enough, for example (there are chrome extensions like the one I use to block scripts and enable it. Bots use it too, or read the source code or something), so a lot of sites just upload images. I don't like to read those because I can't zoom to scale text size, or change the color or font of an image. Some people also dislike it since they use an extension to read the chapters out loud or something like that.

Oh, some people upload dummy chapters a day before the real one so the aggregators only get the dummy. Since they're run by bots, they won't go back and edit their old chapters. This isn't completely foolproof, though, since new aggregators pop up that will gather old chapters. Umm, I've also seen people add text that leads to their site in the same color as the backgrounds, so it'll show up on aggregator sites who have copied it. You can't use a direct link though since the bots will find and delete it.

The only translation site I've read from that blocks bots without using dummy chapters while still allowing readers to scale text size by zooming in is Active Translations. I'm not sure how they do it, but it works.

rayraybites and Isabelle like this.
  9. Alpha-apodis

Alpha-apodis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A work-around I have found
    is to have the chapter as a separate page and link it to the post
    - hopefully, you get what I am trying to say here. Stories where I have done this have had maybe one or two smarter aggregate sites copying them, but for the most part the results are promising. Hopefully they arent reading this. But honestly, it's not the aggegate sites that piss me off, its the actual people who go around copying other people's novels and putting it up on their personal blogs or wattpad or other novel sites and claiming it as their own. The flambouyant audacity of these people just baffle me!

10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, all the recent aggregators I've run into have been just copying my translation note before the chapters.

11. Deleted member 174749

Deleted member 174749 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try filing a DMCA report on the website. Although it sounds a bit shameless when you don't have the license to translate, but I read somewhere that you don't need to have a registered copyright in order to file a DMCA takedown... so yeah, you can give it a try.

How to file a dmca report:

1. Find the website's hosting company. Use this tool to check: https://www.whoishostingthis.com/
    2. On the hosting company's website, find their DMCA page and just follow the instructions. If they don't have one, find their contact page. Most hosting sites would have contact forms where you can report abusive activity. Now just tell them about your case, or maybe even send them a DMCA takedown request you wrote yourself
    3. If the hosting company result returned by whoishostingthis is Cloudflare (which is actually not a hosting company), then just go to Cloudflare's abuse form. Once you fill it up, Cloudflare will send a dmca takedown request on your behalf to the website's hosting company

More info on DMCA notices here: https://kinsta.com/blog/dmca-takedown-notice/
    -------
    Edit coz I forgot: I actually did try this, and the aggregator site took down all the stolen pages after 1-2 days... And yes, I am shameless, but at least not as shameless as scrapers

12. DarkGodRising

DarkGodRising Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is... Aggregators could just appeal the DMCA takedown (as 1. you are not the legal owner and have no rights to the work) and get the DMCA removed. + Never under estimate the spite of Aggregators... they could always just tell the real pub or author about your work in spite/

13. rayraybites

rayraybites Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So a page instead of a post, in Wordpress terms?

I can imagine how messy the site dashboard is going to look after I implement that though rip, but thankfully no one is stealing chapters from our smoll little page yet :>

14. Deleted member 174749

Deleted member 174749 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Telling the authors? That would be like a double-edged move. The pot calling the kettle black haha. But I think that's unlikely. If aggregators knew the original language enough to be able to report to the authors, why even bother scraping when they could have translated on their own... Of course you could say that theyre just lazy, but i still think that's unlikely

And from what I understood of dmca appeals, they need to first prove that the content they scraped was actually their own or that they had the right to use it. I don't think they can turn down the dmca by saying "this person stole it too!"

Also, ironically, aggregators usually put a source on where they stole the content (asianovel does this), so on that point, you already have an advantage. Even the aggregator has admitted to the "crime."

But anyways, I'm just putting in the dmca option as a suggestion. You don't have to do it

Another way to avoid content getting scraped is to use the Passster wordpress plugin to add a math captcha on all your posts. Readers would have to solve the math problem before they can read. Aggregators use bots to scrape, and with a captcha in place, they won't be able to steal it

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
    rayraybites likes this.
  15. Alpha-apodis

Alpha-apodis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. But that is my solution on my Blogger. My freebie Wordpress isn't public so I don't know how it would work on there. I definitely wouldn't call my site popular, but every few weeks I do a google search for the novels I have done and all those aggregate sites and robbers are usually the top returns for "post" chapters. Remain vigilant, although there is not much one can do. :blobcry:

rayraybites likes this.