Art Just got back into pencil drawing any artistic forumers got any human drawing tips (e.g clothes)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by ApprenticeOfGames, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames That sneaky lil sucker who pickpocketed you

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't drawn in a while until now. I just got round to buying a new pencil and all that. Now I will lead in by saying I was not very good at drawing people when I did drawing regularly.

My first quick rough drawing:

[​IMG]

I was more into sorta weird fantasy art (I will upload an example of I can find one. Like a title page with the letters being depicted as animals or other such interactable objects. However I wanted to submit something to the VPnA drawing contest so I decided to see how I can draw from my head without much planning today.

I am finding I have trouble drawing realistic looking clothes , it's not like I will shade or colour even as my skill in that was low previously so it is probably awful right now. The neck also look weird and the face doesn't sit well with me and I can't even get started on the bottom half..

Any decent people drawers got any tips, though I think I will get better overtime fashion is not my thing and we realistic drawing is a skill I would love to have. When I was younger I wasted to draw mythical creatures but the details evaded me then just like now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can't see the picture

3. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    ill wait for u to upload an image of your art before i tell u what u can improve on

Until then nice post ;)

4. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kek, the image is missing~

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta link it properly

6. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    ohhhhh, they are all uniform!!!
    but the middle is not aligned properly? or is that the style??

thosr [ IMG ] ARE GOOD . . .

7. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames That sneaky lil sucker who pickpocketed you

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I swear my method worked on my laptop, Just why are. Phone photo files so big I of wondered w hole figgur ing out tinypic

To reply to replay I think my mind combined my coat and my hoodie I regularly wear. It is a women but yea... It is without references though so that's my excuse. The misalignment is because I messed up the real life image with my pov of the clothes I was copying.
    [​IMG]

A&hhhhh I gov up my phones touch screen sucks and forum thread editing sucks with t.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Practice shapes, all great pieces of art start with simple shapes~

9. Chinese MC

Chinese MC I won't stab you~

Reading List:
    Link
    So once I get really good at circles I can move onto squares?

10. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try practice by tracing pictures. Meh, I don't know. Been years since I pick up a pencil and sketch.

11. Casul Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, work on your triangles first. Then squares, progressively get more sides and points as you master your shapes

Chinese MC likes this.
  12. Skilvh

Skilvh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Complicated way:
    Start with simple shapes, then try western cartoon clothes, after that try the complicated japanese clothes drawing then chinese clothes drawing. Copy paste it using your pencil. The more your drawing looks like the original template means you're getting the hang of the shapes.
    After that start with the "REAL" simple clothes photos without any complicated style/design. Then shading them.

Easy way:
    Use a tracing paper. Start with tracing a photo/picture. Then slowly try to draw by just looking at the picture without the tracing paper. Shading and everything else is the last step.

When your drawing looks good enough only then can you start with the shading it properly.

Hope that helps.

13. Ishmael

Ishmael 『Night Owl』『Butler』『Traveller』

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't drawn anything in a while :3

14. Crystalraven

Crystalraven † Strawberry † Knight †

Reading List:
    Link
    Circles are seriously hard. For the life of me, I can't draw them without something to help me, like a coin or a nice round butt (...of a bottle. What's wrong with you?!) But yeah, being able to draw basic shapes perfectly is really useful.

15. just-lacey-ok

just-lacey-ok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well depending on if you want realistic or comic style figures typically for realistic you use a 7/2 height/width ratio with the head using a space then 3 spaces each for torso and legs when in doubt get a full length mirror and use yourself as a reference. For comic style artwork anything goes as long as you are happy with the overall effect.

Raneday likes this.
  16. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to draw something realistic, then draw from a photograph or on the spot.
    Honestly as an artist there isn't really any tips other than practice and practice. If you simply want to Improve your realism, drawing from photographs or in real life is a good start.
    I must say that drawing from multiple angles or naked bodies ( doesnt have to be utterly naked....) helps your perception and image of the body. It helps the artist to imagine the shape of the body much more accurately.

Especially for people, normally people's perception of the body is like a stick man, which I found to be detrimental for realistic drawers. Since the body is made up of many organs and muscles, especially strands of muscle than seem to weave together like braids. This influences the appearance on th outside. The more realistic you draw the body the more you realise the human body is normal animals like horses and alike.

Obviously you don't have to do anything complicated like old art and science books, but observing the slight shapes that you usually ignore on the body, as well as familiarising yourself with a 3D shape can drastically improve your skill, such skills can be brought over to 2d drawings like animation, especially since animation and illustration depends largely on imagination, improving the accuracy of imagining real life objects wil help train your mind to draw accurately in proportion.

-from an art student

17. Blique

Blique Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here you go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source

These are the 7 types of folds. This is stuff I learned in art school, so it's legit. You can google each fold to see examples of them. An exercise you can try is looking at people's clothes and trying to identify which folds are where. This helps you commit to memory what fabric looks like in certain areas of the clothes.

If you wanna learn how to draw realism quickly and you just can't get your drawings to look right, follow these steps: (1) take a photo of yourself or someone else. (2) Try and draw it as best you can. (3) Once you're done, put a new paper over the photo and trace over it, paying attention to where the folds in the fabric are. (4) When you're done, compare your drawn picture to your traced picture. Study the differences; where you missed something, and what you got right. (5) Draw it again without tracing, and see how well you've improved.

If you want to improve in a certain area - like clothing - you can look online for fashion models/templates meant for drawing, and simply draw clothes on top of them. That way, you can focus on clothes while at the same time passively absorbing details on proportions and anatomy that the model/template provides.

[​IMG]
    This source has a lot of good models.

As a general rule, if you're drawing realistic art, you need to use a reference. Drawing from your head rarely turns out well. Even famous realism painters had photo references that they closely followed, or had a model sit in front of them for hours.

[​IMG]

The key to realism (and all art that isn't abstract) is drawing from life. Ideally, drawing what you physically see in front of you rather than from a photo, because you can get a better sense of depth in real life. In particular, these areas are a must when drawing humans: anatomy, proportions, and gesture.

Value (basically, how to shade) is also important if you're going past just lineart. Remember this: your darkest dark should be black, and your lightest light should be white. Color theory is good to study once you decide to step into that area. And then of course there's perspective (1-point, 2-point, 3-point, etc), which is easy to understand but tedious to practice.

It's all fun stuff to learn though, so it's not as tiring as it sounds. Good luck in your art!

kaoruiseul likes this.