Just got novel sites banned from school

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ascendancy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    The most wanted moment when my school blocked X site that frequently visit...

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Respectable.

On the other hand... I don't know about school where you attended, but mine was boring as fuck. Sleeping, reading and daydreaming my way through class, doing absolutely no homework (35 hours of school a week is already enough. Fuck homework), and excellent test scores got me through school up to and including parts of college.

I don't see the point in paying attention to an hour-long class on something that could have been covered in a few quick bullet points. Which most classes below college tend to be, for some reason. Reading is a much better use of your time in class.

Astaroth likes this.
  3. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Supreme Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    My classes is quite easy though (going Information and Communication Technology [high school vocational education]), and except lessons (norwegian, history blablabla) like where we actually have to do something.

4. Diamona

Diamona [Forever Alone Psychotherapist]

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, education is a privilege. It might suck, but having to work shifts at fast-food restaurants for rent money probably sucks more. "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
    35 hours? That's why education is IMPORTANT! It shouldn't take that long!

There is something known as good education. I had a good psychology course, where we watched videos with Philip Zimbardo. The reason intellectual fields expand is because those higher up find topics that fascinate them. Just present the topics to students in the same way that entertains curiosity and BAM! You've got people who care!

CDLevit likes this.
  5. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I remember when the Harry Potter book I was reading got taken away.

6. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    heishiken likes this.
  7. Occulus

Occulus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, easiest and quickest way of "proxying":

1. Get the general url of the site that you want (ex: wuxiaworld, copying the link from novelupdates, whatever)
    2. Open up google translate
    3. Set language conversion from any language to english (ex: Japanese -> English), the first language does not matter
    4. Paste in url click translate
    5. Browse whatever you feel like

What many people don't realize is google translate is actually a proxy. The only thing they did to prevent it for being used as a proxy is to prevent same language translations (ex: English -> English). So as long as your school doesn't block google (which they won't unless you're somewhere like China), you're fine.

CDLevit likes this.
  8. Kamal

Kamal uhmmm... hmmm... are you serious?

Reading List:
    Link
    im not allowed near pcs no more because i put malware on my usb and bring it in. they get chinese pop up ads on desktop

CDLevit likes this.
  9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with wanting a good education in school is that school education is a system. There are regulations. Things you're supposed to teach the kids. Tests you're supposed to give them. Tests they have to pass. There is very little innovation and very much an emphasis on ensuring that every student in a class can successfully pass the current standard testing. That means rote memorization and long hours spent going over and over the material that will be on those tests.

Classes are never tailored to an individual's learning speed. In fact, they're tailored to ensure that the, begging your pardon, "slower" kids keep up with the rest of the class. You cram a random assortment of at least 20~30 odd kids with different learning styles in a room and spend a year trying to slowly get them ready, as a class, to pass a standardized test on your subject.

Teachers are not given a lot of freedom. They have to teach students very specific things, in a very specific time period. They have SOME room to spend a couple days on topics they find interesting and engaging, but for the most part they have to cover the topics they're told they have to cover. They work on a schedule.

It's boring. It's retarded. It's school.

.. and it can't really be any different than that, because schools have to be a system. There are too many fucking kids everywhere. If people would cut down on the flippin' birthrate, maybe we wouldn't need a school every half a mile like they're some kind of McDonalds, and we wouldn't need teaching staff that probably just got fired from McDonalds.

Astaroth likes this.
  10. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't you use things like gomvpn or dotvpn? That's what I did.

11. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleep? That's a waste of time... You cultivated all those years for what? :rolleyes:

Llamia likes this.
  12. uselessno4

uselessno4 Not so useless human

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read it on your phone
    download opera mini, it has it's own proxy and a reliable one
    if you use your computer, download opera browser and activate the turbo, it then would use the opera proxy automatically.

CDLevit likes this.
  13. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am so not sorry, but I could not care less about political correctness. No matter what "ist" slurs you want to label me with, I will only laugh harder. Back when people had spines, there was a rather trite little saying that is still true. "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me." I know from personal experience that sticks and stones can breaks my bones. They've done is on several occasions, even though not all of them were hard enough to do it and broke on me instead. However, I have never been hurt by being called a name.

As far a paying attention in class goes, why would I bother when just hearing the noise of the class in background was enough to absorb what I had not already learned?

14. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link
    Back when was in school, many eons ago (I am 24) they blocked all the good sites, and if you tried a VPN they blocked your school acct. Yeah school was a bunch of dicks so I brought my own books and read them.

CDLevit likes this.
  15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>
    <.<
    No one say: go study? I'll be that serious kid then.
    School is a previlege. Actually study when you get to one. If you want to read novel, read it at recess, after shool, or computer classes.
    35 hours isn't that long. Who knows? Maybe you could get schoolarship to jpn/kor/chn one day.
    Edit: two people have pointed it out before. My mistake.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    School is not a privilege. Who started that garbage saying. I want to hit them.

School is a societal and national obligation. A responsibility. You are required to go to school, and for damn good reason. It has absolutely nothing to do with you, and everything to do with your country.

Because it has nothing to do with you, personally, it is also a terrible way to actually learn anything worth the effort. You go to school to learn to read, write, and think a little bit. You learn the basics of any given subject, and no more.

The chance to learn beyond school is a real privilege, and what people should encourage.

17. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, personaly i don't mind studing, but i don't like school at all, it's a waste of time

Astaroth likes this.
  18. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on whether or not Larry's political leanings offend you or not, you may find this entertaining:
    http://monsterhunternation.com/2011/01/12/correia-on-the-classics/

Westeller likes this.
  19. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Had never been a problem for me. I had community college courses scheduled during regular school time, and had the other required courses set as independent study so that I could get credit without attending the actual class. So I really only went to the high school half of the time and I only had to go to the community college class on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I just left the High School Campus early for my classes like normal , but because I had no Classes in High School or College scheduled I had a huge break during that time period. I honestly was only ever in High School for 3 Hours of a day. There is wifi on the college campus that is close to my old high school. The community college is right across the street.

20. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    You talk as though every child in the world goes to school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.