Question Just how good is google when Translating Japanese

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Hamster, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hamster

Hamster Bloodthirsty Hamstie

Reading List:
    Link

can google translate be suggested?

2. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are a few decent reads if you are interested in the cutting edge of the field
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.03688 Document Context Neural Machine Translation with Memory Networks
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.03754 Neural Skill Transfer from Supervised Language Tasks to Reading Comprehension
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.04087 Word Translation Without Parallel Data
    The site has some issues sometimes but if you just wait/refresh it should clear up... even though you might not read past the synopsis, I would recommend doing some light skimming if you are actually interested in the topic :D

3. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha...fam....are you okay? Asking something so useless. GT is cancerous, you know? It cant handle all the nuance that goes into truly translating languages, especially the harder languages where you have to use characters. Ah, bro, you're funny.

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    Nerd , if u are in here in our country ill be your friend seems to me your really interested in this topic

5. LuftRauser

LuftRauser [Count LuftCula] [try to get active II]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heakim - hotto doogu
    Try searching for it at YouTube. A nice example of Japanese Google translate sound master piece
    Ps, XD

6. Nydestroyer

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    Well a wise person will ask if he doesnt understand something xD if I don't ask who will for me this is a very interesting topic

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  8. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    As of now, its only good if you want spoilers or to end some cliffs.
    Its still in the process of progressive learning.
    Only thing about the future of google translate-sensei is a big MAYBE.

9. Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    Already watch that well the guy compose it is a genius .. when your out with money to hire some singer google is your friend and some techie stuff

LuftRauser likes this.
  10. Nydestroyer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well neural networks are something I have interest in, and language translation is a very large part of the field.

11. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    GT only good for vocab, not grammar

12. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    ppl needs to difference between a translation and a literal translation, machines do literal translation word by word, ppl do translation which includes adaptation and interpretation.

maybe in a future when AI became involved in the process it will become a translation, but at least in the near future that seems far-fetched

13. Dirav

Dirav Happy Commoner.. \(°•,°)/

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you seen a premium software for translation? I have seen one, it charge monthly, but the result are pretty impressive..

I also know a different software that can rewrite a story, also damn impressive.. It can automatically correct mistakes too, of course, sometimes you still need to edit some words but not many..

What i mean is, with some available tech combination, it is possible to do multi lang translation, with readable or even impressive result.

I am a coder, a bit interested in machine learning but not yet have a time to dive. What can we do with it is amazing.

14. nikomaru

nikomaru 「Will of the Newtype」「NullPointerException」

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, from pc, when you put your cursor in a word, in 1-2 second a pop up window will spawn

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    premium software for translation which is impressive is it japanese? and a software that can rewrite a story seems to it is unbelievable or are joking with with me maybe it is a software connected to a workforce whose translating in the background am i right? such a convenient tool

16. Dirav

Dirav Happy Commoner.. \(°•,°)/

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it is all AI, not connected to workforce like those captcha services. It may seems funny but i am not joking even about the rewrite things. Google it, maybe you will find some.

17. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Link please. Even after googling, I don't know which one you're talking about. Also, as I've said before, English-French or English-Spanish machine translations can be near perfect. But it's a mess once you try machine translating between a European language and an Asian one.

If the program really can translate so well between an Asian language and English, I wouldn't mind trying it myself for this nasty translation work that was dumped on me recently...

18. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Google barely know the right Lyrics to 'What Is Love -Haddaway'.

19. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're talking straight Google Translate the entire site, then here's a few things i've seen.

1. Numbers are better than for CN GT translations, but that's mostly because of their numerical system.
    2. The text layout of the syosetsu pages is distorted if you just use the 'translate this page' GT version, so it's jumbled together, but if you go via google translate and then go with the adress copypasted and then translating from there, the text remains as it was in JP, but translated.
    3. It's not perfect, but it gets the majority right if you mean on a word by word basis.

20. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    GT is good for single words and can deal with short phrases but when i wrote in the swedish version of this "google translate is the fucking worst, cant even translate swedish properly...no if you want that shit translated right you gotta learn the language, and the manga will be even worse because you cant just copy paste the text." becomes: google translate is the worst bad hell, can not even translate swedish properly ... nä want to translate shit properly you may learn and learn the language, then when it comes to manga it will be even worse when you can not copy paste the text .

while the basic message is pretty much the same its still different and this is with easy words without double meanings in short sentances.

AliceShiki likes this.