Just me, or a toxic community?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Broosk, Aug 4, 2017.

?

Is the community somewhat toxic?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. A little bit

94 vote(s)
    32.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vartio

Vartio The original Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    The new Meow Mix commercial singer.

2. noob_senpai

noob_senpai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boycotting to read sg. somewhere doesn't necessarily mean that those readers will go to aggragetor sites. For example I have just completely dropped all of those novels and don't read them anywhere (I was reading only one on GT and my decision was not solely due to the QI+GT fuckery).

Now the paywall is another issue. As I (and many others) have said several times, GGP has no way to refuse the implementation of major decisions, as he gave up 90% (or at least the majority) of his shares. So if they decide to paywall, they paywall and that's it. Earlier there was GT, volarenovels and WW that were big enough to land some licences and continue with providing free translations, and with an ad-based way of financing their operations. So even if QI would have decided to paywall, at least there would have been other sites available.

Right now QI is doing whatever they can against WW, which weakens their position. GT joined the side where QI is, which is one step closer to a nearly monopolistic position (especially considering the size of the company behind them). There is nothing that could stop them from ad-walling every chapter or slam them all behind a paywall. This can happen regardless the amount of readers either site has - so even if there is a huge growth, they can just do it anyway. GGP's decision is what created this situation, pinning this solely on the readers is unfair. The readers that boycott either sites are minor players if you look at the whole picture. If the translators are unhappy about the readers' decision, they should be at least a tiny bit unhappy with GGP too - but so far all I have seen is the exact opposite, which I find a bit stupid. Even if he really thought that this was the best for the community, I am sure that in the long run it is not.

Also, just FYI, I'll quote something for you:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. Vartio

Reading List:
    Link
    Since noobsenpai mentioned it, I did some digging on the incident. It seems that it mixes real well with what's happening here. IN fact, we can probably expect GGP sued in no time.

http://publishingperspectives.com/2013/06/scandal-rocks-chinas-largest-online-literature-site/

"Unfortunately, given news reports, it seems likely that the new site might never make it off the ground. Shanda has argued that launching a new literature company violates a non-compete clause in Luo’s contract (which sources claim doesn’t exist) and has threatened legal action should the company move forward. Indeed, Caixin reports industry analysts as saying that Luo’s arrest is simply an attempt by Shanda to keep Luo and his team from joining a competitor’s online platform.

And as techinasia.com concludes, “If all the rumors are true, both Shanda and Tencent could be in some trouble, as other Shanda employees might also have been illegally selling copyrighted works, and given the rumored cooperation with Tencent after Luo’s resignation, it seems very possible that Tencent was the one buying them. But as of yet, we really don’t know all that much beyond that whatever else is true, Luo Li is definitely in trouble.”"

Edit: Underlined key parts, Bolded parts that should be worrying for WW and/or GGP.
    Edit 2: And Broosky since, really, they can claim (especially since he rocks the GT flag here) he is part of GT and him aiding any other site is 'joining a competitor'.

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ╮(╯▽╰)╭ well da scale just need to go to international~
    ╮(╯▽╰)╭ da blow will thousand more devastating

5. Nef-i

Nef-i Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you are right abaut new members:blobexpressionless: but there are people, relatively old member like me:sweating_profusely: only 3-4 message(pickup requests:aww: read, not write bad engrish) before this drama and start write a message mostly criticism, dissatisfaction and anger to QI spies because of drama and seems little more toxic.
    sory for bad engrish

6. Raizu

Raizu An Enthusiastic Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, there are many silent majority like you who rise-up in the current of chaos.

Nef-i likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ╮(╯▽╰)╭ it's big cake one one simple can't resist to taste it~

Pizz0011 likes this.
  8. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... Still...
    Normal NUF Thread is not usually like QI, WW, and GT war thread....
    There might be rant thread against rape, harem, beta MC, and the likes...... But it usually only stays in the thread, not spread like fungus.

Sh1r0r3n and Pizz0011 like this.
  9. xViper

xViper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this what qidian had planned all along

Pizz0011 likes this.
  10. pepeoo

pepeoo high lord of the seven seas

Reading List:
    Link
    just wondering but how many of us here are gamers that have been in a toxic community before?

Wujigege and Pizz0011 like this.
  11. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I played DOTA, LoL, CS:GO, Overwatch and some other games that are like a bomb, just waiting to explode for the tiniest of reasons.
    So being here is more like a summer breeze rather than a toxic environment....
    Btw i am from Europa so every game i want to play, without having mega lag, is toxic whatever i do....

12. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Were we anything before QI showed up? We're we anything clearly defined? Or were we just a clump of collective and non-uniform wills on the Internet.

Last I checked, NUF was the latter before this QI shit. We were very clearly polarized on this matter.

Kiki0246 likes this.
  13. pepeoo

pepeoo high lord of the seven seas

Reading List:
    Link
    ayyy i played csgo and league b4 so im wondering y ppl thuink this is toxic lol

14. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But that's from the view point of a hobbiest where only a few people who like the same thing come together. Eventually, things get traction and people start to join in numbers and a potential market is born. That's what capitalism is all about and there is nothing wrong with that. It's the way it's handled that is the issue. I can't say that your thinking is wrong as it's people like you that introduced this media into a new audience that has never seen it but happy times never last forever. It probably the cynical adult in me talking but wherever there is a potential marker you will always find those that are trying to make a profit (not always a bad thing).

15. zg44

zg44 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Given Qidian's experience in the past, I would very much guess that there is a non-compete clause in GGP's contract so that he can't just take the translators and start a new site.

That means it wouldn't be easy for a separate rebuild if this GT-QI situation goes bad.

16. Johnnycabra

Reading List:
    Link
    and then tencent purchased Qidian, that's like some crazy stuff there that only hollywood can come up with. I don't even know what ethics and hypocrisy are anymore. So is tencent evil or Qidian evil.

Summary of article: Founder of Qidian had a business model that gave 70% of profit from VIP views to authors and everything was fine. Then Shanda (it parent company at the time) was like "that's not enough. make them sign over their novel rights." The founder and a couple others do not like this and leave to join Tencent to start a new publishing company. The problem is Qidian says founder can't do that as he has contract with them and have caught him in an illegal move. Don't know what happens to founder as he is not mention again. But the end story is Tencent bought Qidian, so it's like WHAT??? What just happened?

17. Vartio

Reading List:
    Link
    Tencent already owned Qidian by this point of the article's publishing.

18. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as i said in my post earlier almost all the gamer forums for a lot of games are more toxic by far then NU, and as @Yukkuri Oniisan has said this more off a qi/ gt / ggp problem but it doesn't help that people are start up just loads of moronic threads when if they looked or even used the scroll button their mouse some of the same comments and questions has already been asked or posted on so it lok 50% worse than it would normally do

StuffedDuck likes this.
  19. Johnnycabra

Reading List:
    Link
    But what i'm trying to say is what happened to the guy that went to work for Tencent who was in hot waters with his previous employer. did tencent stop the suit once they bought Qidian or were they like "who cares" as they were the ones that got him into trouble. He seemed like a guy who wanted to run a good business model that cared about its authors.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. revenantone

revenantone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok you know what i wasnt going to put a post but i feel i have to... Im one of the ones you call toxic, im one of the ones who were lied to by ggp and honestly before all this respected him as much as i respect ren HOWEVER this did happen and he did lie repeatedly... even then at the point of anger i did speak out agianst it and i did bash ggp repeatedly which he rightfully diserved at that moment in time, as did the GT members who came out acting like they were better then others, honestly i dont care what happens to gt anymore unfortunately this includes those within its walls as heartless as that sounds... but what do you expect when you slap the face of the community i myself along with so many others love so passionately, if your still in GT after that fiasco what comes your way you diserve.

im not a bundle of hate or acted out in spite i did it for legit reasons, and im honest about that maybe ggp and voltaire should learn a thing or two about that lol. However despite the anger i showed and the things i said, i still accepted messages from ggp and spoke rationally with him as my final form of respect twords him, theres no fixing what happened just get over it and move on or keep making threads like this and refueling the fire.

Vartio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.