Discussion Just why?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Professor Baka De DeluPerv, May 24, 2022.

1. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Professor Baka De DeluPerv Consumer of Plastic Toys

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does my sweet fluff romance have to suddenly have drama?! Rivals, Family Circumstances, "Tragic" Past, all of those pointlessness. Seriously do we really need that? (At least write it well if you're gonna add something like that -.-)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who loves drama, I can confidently say that I dislike it when fluffy stuff suddenly starts becoming swallowed up by drama.

I just don't get it... If I want a drama-filled manga, I'll read a drama-filled manga... If I want a cute and fluffy slice of life, then I'll read a cute and fluffy slice of life... Don't go and suddenly change the core aspect of your story like that! >.<

I don't mind drama in my fluffy slice of life though, but make sure it still feels like a fluffy slice of life first and foremost... The drama can be there, but don't give it so much attention, to the point it takes the fluffiness away from the story.

In summary, Otoburi is bad, and Whisper Me A Love Song is great~

3. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it odd that I have no clue what these are?

otaku31 likes this.
  4. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind drama in my fluffy slice of life as long as it is somewhat consistent. It is actually my favorite genre. Something similar to Gintama, where you have a bunch of comedy, slice of life material and then suddenly a heaping portion of drama out of nowhere. As long as I can expect the sweet stuff to return, I'm good.

The first is a lesser known villainess story while the second is a lesser known yuri romance story. Unless you are actively searching those genres out, I'm not surprised you don't know them.

5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Otoburi is one of the first Otome Game Villainess Reincarnation novels out there... Quite possibly the first one in all honesty. It was also one of the first ones to get on NU, and it was translated by one of the more popular translators back in the day (said translator is barely active these days though)... It was easy to know of it back then, but nowadays I guess most people don't know of it. Either way, it's this novel: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/an-otome-games-burikko-villainess-turned-into-a-magic-otaku/ . It's honestly a great novel and it's very easy to recommend it... If you ignore the latter volumes where a war starts and all the fluff kinda disappears that is. The first few volumes are fantastic, but expect the quality to drop later on.

Whisper Me A Love Song is a fluffy Yuri Manga that I love very much. It recently won a Japanese Popularity Poll involving Yuri Mangas, but it only got around 600-700 votes (I think the entire poll had less than 2000 votes or something), so it was not exactly a big popularity poll... If you want to check it, here it is: https://mangadex.org/title/0e8fac17-979e-4e37-8f45-2c334b25d6dd/whispering-you-a-love-song

6. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't Otome games just a dating sim...? Why is there always a war?

Otome and Yuri, 2 out of the 3 genres I stay away from. :blobsweat_2: (The 3rd is BL :blobnobully: )

Lemonlyn likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    More often than not, there isn't a war.

It's just that Otoburi made a mistake of deciding to turn the fluffy slice of life thingy into a war between nobles and commoners because of [plot reasons]... (there was no war in the Otome Game, for the record. The war happened only post-reincarnation due to [plot reasons])

There are other Otome Game novels that have wars in them, but those tend to be quite serious from the start and revolve more around political intrigue and whatnot... Otoburi was one of the pioneers in the genre and didn't know what they were doing, so the author messed up along the way and turned their sweet fluffy slice of life into a war-focused novel... Which didn't end up well.

In any case, Otome Game Reincarnation typically works with the idea that the Protagonist reincarnates as the villainess of the story and needs to do something to avoid her doom, so there has to be some kind of plot that leads to the villainess' death... It usually isn't a war in specific, but it usually tends to be something bad regardless.

... In normal Otome Games you usually don't even see villainess characters in the first place though (they do exist, they're just rare), so this kind of plot tends to be unnecessary... But well, you wouldn't get villainess reincarnations without villainesses, so it can't be helped that Otome Game Reincarnations tend to have some bad stuff happening.

8. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    I get staying alway from bl, most of that are written by women who use bad representation and tropes that fetishized gay relationships... but I think gl is usually sweet and fluffy? (well I've only read at most 3 so maybe I'm wrong) I like otome game artstyles but actually playing one is weird, I don't get the plot sometimes. also it's a bit illogical. might be a me problem

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    They usually are. GL tends to be fairly similar to shoujo in a way, but it often times has a back and forth switch of main character instead of a main character + male lead.

Even when it does have a single clear main character, it still tends to lean more on the sweet and fluffy side of things~

There are exceptions, of course. Sometimes the authors make some really shallow and somewhat ecchi GL stuff that is just annoying.

And well, R-18 GL stuff is almost entirely targeted towards horny men, so it has 0 fluff in it usually... It's nice when I find the rare R-18 GL stuff that actually has some fluff and lovely scenes in it though... But well, I rarely read R-18 these days, so this doesn't affect me much.

Lemonlyn likes this.
  10. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Reading List:
    Link
    *Is Interested*

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    From the top of my head, I only recall Asumi-chan. Look up its title on mangadex, it shouldn't be hard to find it.

It's still mostly lewd stuff, for the record, but it has more than just lewds and there is some fluff involved, which felt nice~

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like korean dramas.
    And I dont have the patient to watch it :barefoot:

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind a story having both fluff and drama, but at least try and interweave the two together from the start instead of one interrupting the other.

14. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be nice if all of them were done this way...

15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Even worse, my comedy novel turned to tragedy midway.