Justify your lootbox defense, ESA

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why gamers should support CD Projekt.

Varno and GrimVeilRule like this.
  2. Christian Leontsinis

Christian Leontsinis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no problem with ptw or loot boxes in FREE to Play

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't watch the video, but... I don't see any point in people complaining that it is "gambling" or anything of the sort.

Online transactions need a credit card, or at least access to an account with permission to make money transactions, this means kids can't buy it without parents' permission.

If a child or teenager wishes to use all of their allowance on lootboxes, it is their right to do so. I don't think it can be considered gambling even if it is very similar to it... Mainly because the people that would be troubled by it (children/teens) don't have any means of spending more money on it than they should (which is the actual problem with gambling).

4. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Not all children are responsible. And as a busy parents who neglect their children*Cough* i mean concerned parents who didn't want their kids getting addicted to gambling of course they want law to control it.

The lootboxes itself isn't that bad. It's basically a gacha. What content in it was making the gamer's rage. If it was simple skin, accessory or some new OP character all was fine. Buuuut, you need to use lootboxes to enjoy the game.

Basically what EA did was like this if i remember. The game was almost impossible to win (i'm talking about single player mode, not just pvp one) unless you have char in lootboxes. Buuuuut, the chance was something less than 1%. Basically making the game really really unfair.

Yes, i know there's lot worse p2w games somewhere in google playstore. But EA was AAA company with world's spotlight, They should have done better. Moreover EA's response in this case was really bad (as in current world record getting most negative karma points in reddit). And cue everybody outrage.

And this is EA we're talking about, they make QI look like a good boy.

If i remember, the law concerning this would state the the chance of finishing game also counting chance of lootboxes or so.

5. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why does'nt 2k get any of this coverage? For me, they are worse then EA.

6. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they got the most downvoted in reddit which caught on mainstream media. Really, if the mainstream not found out, i'm really sure EA could get away with it.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I totally agree that lootboxes that actually interfere on clear the game are pretty horrible, but this is this and that is that.

My point was mainly that arguing that it is gambling doesn't make much sense IMO, because... While it has all the necessary components to become a gambling addiction (just like any gatcha, really), a child/teen simply has no access to the method of payment (even if they have the money), so this can still be completely regulated by the parents.

In other words, the only people that can get addicted to gambling on lootboxes are adults (unless you are a really irresponsible parent and gave a credit card to your child without them first proving that they can spend money responsibly, but in this case it is your fault for being a bad parent), so there is no need to alter the rating just because of that.

The content of the lootboxes being stuff that is vital to the game (on another note, I haven't played any AAA stuff in ages, so I'm simply taking your words at face value) is absolutely horrible though, no denying that... Just saying it is no motive to limit the game's rating.