Question kanji and kana clarification

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by JuuHachi, Jul 3, 2017.

1. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I came across this kanji 者 with a set of radicals before it that has this one short line followed by a long one then two short lines then a small box below. I can't find the first kanji in the online dictionaries but the results showed this kanji :者 means 'someone/person/individual' so I'm guessing that the radicals before 者 is just for emphasis?

And I just wanted to know if I am correct in translating the kana ハーフハーフ! into "half half!" or hafuhafu means something else entirely?
    For context this is the whole sentence : 撮影 続行? ハーフハーフ!?このあとチャンスありますよ!
    Which I translated into : Continue shooting? Half-half!? After this is a chance!

Thanks in advance (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄

2. eto

eto Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first kanji you were talking about sounds like 言, but that's a very common kanji so it should be in the dictionary?

Edit: Oh, I think I misunderstood. Is this it: 諸?
    I don't have enough posts to use links, but you can just pop that into Jisho and it'll pull it up for you.

Edit 2: ハーフハーフ might be "half and half" or "fifty-fifty", e.g. a fifty-fifty chance. Though I only did a cursory search, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    AHKoT likes this.
  3. Touma212

Touma212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Using Translation Agregator With jp parser:
    "Satsuei zokkou? Hafu hafu !? Konoato chansu arimasu yo!"
    Satsuei can mean photography (motion) and film/shooting (video) or recording
    zokkou mean continuation

4. Touma212

Reading List:
    Link
    And Using LEC to translate complete sentence
    "Is it the photography continuation? A half half! ? There is it in a chance after this!"

5. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think ハーフハーフ! here means a laugh, notice the exclamation mark. If you read the fu faintly then it would be Ha' Ha', like when the person is laughing out loud.

edit: so I think here another person asked him to continue the shooting, but he then laugh at him, then tells him there is actually still chances later.

6. Touma212

Reading List:
    Link
    JParser translate ハーフ/hafu as half, fyi

7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't add enough context for a definite answer about the ハーフハーフ. Similarly, if you are translating off of a physical book, maybe upload a photo of the kanji in question? I would be surprised if anyone could do more than speculate from your description.

8. LostBMe

LostBMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably something like: We gonna continue the (photo)shooting(session)? 50/50 (chance of doing so)!? You've got a chance (to go for it) after this!

Either that or the speaker is breathing real hard cuz s/he's excited:LOL:? Hard to tell, really.

9. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely not enough context here. And i believe it's 諸, as someone pointed out earlier. There's a handwriting function for google translate so if you can find the character then you can just shove it into a dictionary.

10. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes that's the word I'm looking for I tried using the drawing/handwritten option for online dictionaries but it didn't showed up thank you very much!