Kenkyo Kenjitsu: Enjou POV [fanfiction]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Red Bean, Nov 2, 2017.

?

How do you want updates to happen?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2017.
  1. Shorter chapters but frequent updates (probs in a 2000 or less range)

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Long chapters but less frequent updates (probs 3500 word range)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 37

Takamichi is acting weird.

I quietly observed her as class began. This morning, she bowed to me as she greeted “Good morning, Enjou-sama” then kept her head down as she promptly moved out of my way.

That’s... very odd.

I couldn’t help but be puzzled over the sudden development. Just a few days ago, she was treating me just like she did with any other of our classmates, but now she’s been treating me like a highly valued customer who’s entered her shop. She was even using the polite servant speech that I was accustomed to hearing from the servants I had back home. I almost ended up reflexively asking her to prepare my usual afternoon tea when I heard her speech.

Thank god I didn’t. We’d both just end up in a highly embarrassing situation, and I had a feeling that our classmates who held less than kind opinions of Takamichi would take it as an indication of me indirectly declaring that treating her as a servant would be perfectly fine.

I turned my attention back to the teacher when I realized that I had drifted away from the lecture. Good grief, I really should pay more attention to my surroundings...

The class ended and I packed my things away in my book bag. I bade everyone goodbye and then headed for the salon to wait for Masaya.

I didn’t suspect that when I got there, I would be accosted by a concerned Reika.

“Ummm, Enjou-sama, is it true that Yukino-kun is feeling ill…?”

“Hm?”

I glanced at her wordlessly as I wondered wear she got that information. We’ve only just admitted him a few days ago, and I keep family matters private, and the teachers know better than to gossip about the family life of a Pivoine member. Perhaps Yukino’s friends in the Petite? Now that I look at her closely, Reika looks somewhat winded. As if she had ran from the Petite to here to interrogate me for answers.

I nodded “You heard about that fast. Yeah, we had him admitted into hospital because of his asthma.”

She paled, “Eh!? Hospital!?”

Reika looked like she was about to work herself into a frenzy over the news. Ara? You’re more worried about his health than even Yukino is. She begun to grimace as she tapped her foot, seeming to be lost in thought as she fretted over my little brother.

... When were they so close? I couldn’t help but wonder as I brought her out of her reverie, “It’s not that big of a deal, okay? It happens every year around this time. We’re just having him stay in the hospital in case.”

It seems my attempt at reassurance only made Reika even more worried. Her glum expression still on, she said, “But if it warrants a hospital admittance then is that not quite bad already?”

“Well, not exactly?” I responded. Its not like its life-threatening, it was just a precaution. “It’s just quicker to have responders if he’s already in hospital. And I think he’s used to being admitted to hospital already.”

It was a matter of fact. Yukino had been in and out of the hospital a lot since he was an infant, so by now he’s become desensitized to hospital visits. I visit him everyday after school, and all he does is whine at me that he’s bored.

I say as much to Reika, but it seems to make her fret even more. Oh no, how do I fix this...?

As I pondered over my current dilemma, Reika suddenly shouted at me, “Enjou-sama! If that is the case then should you not be heading there right now instead of wasting time drinking tea? He must be so lonely!”

I answered absently as I shrugged off her concerns, “There’s no need to rush. He’s used to it already, so it’s fine.”

“How cold!”

I almost snorted at her response. How cute of her to get so worked up over my brother. Its kind of endearing, honestly.

“Right now Yukino-kun must be staring out of his rainy window, waiting silently for his oniisama to visit him. ‘Is Oniisama coming yet? It’s so lonely…‘

I fought down my laughter as I listened to her idealistic vision of Yukino. What kind of thoughts are those? It sounds like something straight out of a movie.

“I’m pretty sure he’s watching a DVD or playing a game right now.”

Reika immediately went silent as she looked up at me with an indignant yet pouty expression.

“Haha!” I broke into a short laugh as I looked at her. A grin took the place of my usual smile as I laughed. Reika’s displeased features stayed on her face and I forced myself to stop. With a grin, I said, “Sorry. Anyway, you really don’t have to worry so much. Today I’m going there with Masaya so we’ll be heading out the moment he’s here.”

“Goodness. Kaburagi-sama is going as well?” Her eyes went wide by a fraction as she looked at me in surprise. Masaya’s mentally Yukino’s age, so its like bringing a playmate over for him.

As soon as I nodded, she seemed to have decided something and she took a nearby seat as she waited. Hm? Was she trying to assure herself that we’d go visit Yukino? Reika, even if you didn’t stay to watch we’d still be heading over to visit him, you know?

“Kaburagi-sama is taking a while. I wonder what his class is doing.”

Her impatient tapping started once again, and I calmly drank my tea as I tried to put her worries to rest.

“Well, I think he should be here soon… See? Speak of the devil.”

Masaya entered through the salon doors with his book bag in hand. He quickly strode over to us but paused when he saw Kisshouin.

“Shuusuke- Huh. What are you frowning about?” He questioned her as he saw her impatient face.

I answered for her, “Kisshouin-san here has been getting annoyed at how slow you were. Right, Kisshouin-san?”

“Annoyed at me? Did she need something with me?” Masaya looked at her in confusion, no doubt wondering if she had finally decided to open up to him about her love troubles like he’s been hoping for her to do as a fellow member of the “Broken Hearts Club”, or if he had somehow done something to offend her again. That was his usual train of thought when it came to Reika.

Said girl responded sharply, “No, I did not. More importantly, I think you should hurry along. Visiting hours might be ending soon.”

“Huh?”

I got up from my seat as I took note of Reika’s worry. It seems, however, that the President and her lackeys had caught sight of Masaya.

“Kaburagi-samaaa! How about having some tea with us?”

Reika’s expression became dark as she just as quickly stood up and begun urging us to leave. I couldn’t help but smile at her concern as I dragged Masaya away, declining the President’s wishes as we left the salon.

Once a few feet away from the salon, Masaya slipped out of my hold and begun walking on his own. He turned to me, a single eyebrow already raised, as he questioned me, “What’s up with Kisshouin?”

“Nothing, nothing.” I smiled at him as we headed to the carpark, “She seems to be fretting over Yukino. We should go now before visiting hours end.”

Although somewhat disappointed by my bare response, Masaya nodded as he got into the car with me. He then proceeded to pull something out of his bag and show it to me with a proud expression on his face, “I got this for Yukino. I’m sure he’d like it!”

I raised an eyebrow as I took the item from his hands and checked the cover.

“Masaya, a zombie game, really?” I asked him bluntly as I checked the cover.

“What? Yukino’s not scared of zombies anyways.”

“He’s still only six...”

“Psh. Quit acting as if he’s scared of his own shadow. He’s not that much of a baby anymore.”

I sighed and handed back the DVD to Masaya, already wondering if I should really have brought him along.

Whatever, Yukino would probably be happy to see Masaya. Regardless if he’s bringing along a horror movie.

The next day, I was assaulted with the strange feeling that I was being watched. It was rather unnerving, and I deduced that whoever it was that was watching me couldn’t possibly be my classmate, since the time I felt the gaze on me happen only during early break and lunch.

It had begun raining earlier today, so I had taken my umbrella out of my locker and headed for my car, ready to go home and work on my assignments for the day.

I heard the pattering of feet on wet tiles and wondered if I should pick up my pace and head to my car. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with a late-day confession when I had more important matters to attend to.

“Enjou-sama!”

That voice...

“Kisshouin-san?” I quickly turned around and saw a slightly soaked Reika rush over to me while cradling something to her chest. I swiftly moved closer and covered her with my umbrella, forcing us to get closer than normal.

I forced my tone to remain even as I asked her calmly, “What’s up?”

“Could you please hand this to Yukino-kun?” She asked my politely as she held out a ribboned cloth parcel to me.

“What’s this?” I took the item as I felt the smooth wrapping paper under my fingertips. Its a bit heavy, but its also quite sturdy and thick. Is this a book?

As if confirming my unspoken question, Reika spoke, “A book. I thought it might help with his boredom.”

“Oh? Well then, thank you. May I ask what kind of book?” I quietly wondered what type of book Reika would give. She’s more sensible than Masaya, so I doubt that she’d give Yukino some sort of horror story, but I can’t really imagine what kind of book she’d be giving-

“Das Wirtshaus im Spessart. A fairy tale that I enjoyed as a child.”

That made me pause, “Fairytale?”

Her eyes gleamed as she nodded, “Yes.” Then, a worried expression took over as she unsurely asked, “Eh!? Could it be that Yukino-kun does not enjoy fairy tales?”

I quickly tucked the book under one of my arms and shifted the hold on my umbrella as I reassured her, “No, that’s not it. He loves books, so I’m sure he’ll appreciate it. Thank you for this,” I smiled at her as reassuringly as I could.

I saw a hint of doubt in her eyes so I quickly added, “Anyway, I’ll make sure he gets this.”

“Thank you. Ah, I apologise for holding you, Enjou-sama. I shall take my leave. Gokigen’yoh.” She smiled at me as she prepared to leave.

Oi, wait. If you run in the rain you might slip.

I bade her goodbye as I simultaneously tried to hand my umbrella over to her.

“No need. It is but a short run away. Goodbye!”

With such a prompt refusal and swift exit, she quickly ran back to the safety of the school as I was left standing in the rain with her present in my hand.

“Young master, please get in already!” I heard my driver call out to me. I snapped out of my daze and quickly headed to the car, being careful to keep the present dry and safe by clutching it to my chest. As soon as I entered, I placed the book on the seat beside me as I closed my umbrella.

“Change of plans. Take me to the hospital.” I ordered my driver as I pulled out my phone to tell Mother I would be visiting Yukino.

My driver looked at me nervously through the review mirror and asked, “But isn’t Uryuu-sama supposed to be visiting today?”

“I’ll cancel.” I responded calmly. “More important matters have come up. I’ll take the blame anyways, so just drive.”

“Yes, young master.”

The car soon pulled out of the car park, and I watched the scenery outside pass by as I ignored the ringing of my phone. I glanced at the caller ID and saw Yuiko’s name in front. Seeing that, I waited until call stopped and I picked up my phone. I swiped through my settings and blocked Yuiko’s number.

That should by me enough time until this afternoon.

When I got to Yukino’s hospital room, he was sitting down and playing on one of the game stations Mother had brought over for him. My sudden visit seemed to have surprised him, but he quickly recovered and smiled at me.

“Oniisama! I thought you said you wouldn’t be able to visit today?” He seemed happy, but then his eyes fell on the package in my hands. “Whats that?”

“A present from Reika.” I answered as I walked in, dropping my book bag on the nearby table as I strode over to Yukino and handed him the book.

“Wow! Really?!” He clambered from his sitting position as he took the book out of my hands and began to unwrap it. “Oh, Oniisama, isn’t this the book from that author you like?”

I nodded with a smile as I looked at Yukino. “He’s a talented author, I’m sure you’d enjoy reading his work.”

I thought back to the pile of work resting on my study desk at home... I guess I’ll just stay up a little later tonight to finish every thing.

“You’ve already read this to me before.” Yukino hummed as he opened up the book. A surprised “Wah!” escaped his lips as he suddenly shoved a piece of paper in my face. “Oniisama, look! Reika-oneesan wrote a letter for me!”

I glanced over the contents of the letter as I noted the pleased smile on Yukino’s face, “Oh.”

“So nice!” He squealed happily. “Hm, Oniisama, since this is your favorite story, could you please read it to me?”

I raised an eyebrow as I looked at the somewhat thick book. “Are you sure? It’d probably take us two days to finish it, and its not really a bedtime story.”

“Its fine, its fine.” Yukino smiled, “Plus, I distinctly remember that you had a date with Yuiko this evening. If you’re busy accompanying me, then even Yuiko would be unable to do anything about it.”

I ended up snorting as I agreed to his logic. For Mother and Father, the most important thing to them was their children, and they were especially soft-hearted with the sickly Yukino. Even if Yuiko was the one barging into the Enjou residence, she’d be completely defeated by my parents’s adoration of Yukino.

“When we’re done, why don’t you write a thank you letter to Reika for the book she gave you?”

“Ah, yeah! Oniisama, lets read now so I can start on the letter!”

Like that, I spent my next two visits reading fairytales to Yukino while helping him make a thank you letter for Reika.

——

She smiled brightly as she read the letter, and I couldn’t help but smile in return.

I think this is the first time I’ve met a girl my age who actually cares for Yukino purely for him, and not as an extension of him being my little brother.

It feels nice to know there’s another who genuinely cares for him.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg...Good job Shuusuke!!!! Block Yuiko forever!!!!!!!! And thank you @Red Bean for updating!!! More please!!!! Even though I know it's not easy making one hohoho~

maxbex and Red Bean like this.
  3. Vamodd

Vamodd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    really love this keep it up

4. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    @aceclover95 i dont know why but i geniunely thought i’d get to post three to four more chapters before you found out there was an update.

laexdream and aceclover95 like this.
  5. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    lol fortunately, the notification works fine this time~

Red Bean likes this.
  6. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    If Yukino-kun was just a couple of years (hmm...a decade? lol) older, you wouldn't be smiling, Enjou-kun~

Thank you for the update!! <33333333333

7. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna ask this cause it was legitimately bothering me, but what do you guys mean when you say Enjou is Yandere? I don’t recall writing him that way but you guys call him that a lot. (I’m not mad or anything! Just really curious since I saw it being said a few times!)

8. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm its been a while since I've read the parts that show his possessiveness but I think its probably:
    • his classmates keep track of Reika and report about her activities to him (or was it a rumor?)
    • Enjou calls her the mother to his child Masaya in his head
    • he pays attention to the males that Reika is close with (like class rep, is he close with Iwamuro? I forgot)
    Ah also, you know since this is the POV of Enjou about Reika = Enjou paying attention to Reika in general like a stalke- //slapped
    But I personally think he seems more black belly than yandere soo my conclusions might be wrong

...are yanderes considered over extreme black bellies?

laexdream, Leilacus and Red Bean like this.
  9. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... I guess I should fix that huh... thanks for the feedback!

Well if you think about it, almost anyone who gets a crush on someone kinda becomes like a stalker. But if he seems more black belly than yandere, then I have fulfilled my role in character writing!

I... actually I think so??? Yandere’s share a lot of similarities with Black bellies, so I think that them being over extreme black bellies is a correct assumption.

Leilacus, Irie and iampsyx like this.
  10. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think Enjou's a yandere at all!

But black belly? No brainer lol

Silverwind and Red Bean like this.
  11. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Aha I was just joking on the stalker part :blobamused: But yes, I do agree they kinda turn stalker-ish, just not past the line. Like the difference between black belly and yandere I guess

But wait, fix what? I don't think there's anything wrong with your writing imo. Enjou's black bellyness doesn't seem over extreme

laexdream and Leilacus like this.
  12. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhm... I’m not very confident with characterization so whenever I think that a character’s acting too OOC, I try to get feedback so I know what elements to pull back on or to add more too. Its how I learned how to fix my characterization of Masaya... Etto... There are parts wherein I end up thinking “Enjou sounds delusional”, so it always makes me wonder about his characterization... especially since he’s the one I’m writing the most...

13. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh I see. But I find the way you portray Enjou and his reactions to Reika really cute. So far I haven't thought him to seem OOC :blobsalute:
    My conclusions were... how do I say this, just what I thought would seem like it could encourage the imaginations of fans about Enjou being yandere. Does that make sense? Like how my fujoshi friends who would get all excited when they see two handsome males interacting in any kind of intimate gestures, no matter how insignificant it may seem to the general public

14. Vamodd

Vamodd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes i think that enjou's bein a little to emotional when reika's involved or his feelings for her are shown but its not like i hate it either since i want him to be ike that with her

15. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... I thought it was bad... so its fine then? I’m glad~ and oh. I guess I understand now. I was worried that he seemed OOC

iampsyx and Irie like this.
  16. Irie

Irie Internet Bystander

Reading List:
    Link
    Its just my opinion, but yep :blobok:

Red Bean likes this.
  17. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmn... The way you write Enjou's perspective is very much in line with what I have in mind. He isn't yandere or something. Just black-bellied. Hohoho! *pats @Red Bean * You are doing pretty well.

Lyndai and Red Bean like this.
  18. ShenMiao98

ShenMiao98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish that the author or even someone else would finish the story. I would love to read about what what might happen when Enjou and Reika actually begin to date. He would be forever manipulating her and having fun at her expense.
    I ship them sooo much.

19. ShenMiao98

ShenMiao98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for another wonderful chapter

maxbex likes this.
  20. laexdream

laexdream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the way you write Enjou is perfect! I don't think he's out of character or anything, nor do I think he's too emotional. We are in his POV after all, and to be honest, Reika is pretty absorbed in her own world - as we can see from the author's own writing of everyone else's point of view. So Enjou acting like he is currently fits perfectly specially since Reika doesn't notice him much. In fact, she goes out of his way to avoid him most of the time, so kudos to you for writing each chapter so well and in character. Really, every chapter you upload makes my day~

Silverwind, Red Bean and maxbex like this.