Kenkyo Kenjitsu: Enjou POV [fanfiction]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Red Bean, Nov 2, 2017.

?

How do you want updates to happen?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2017.
  1. Shorter chapters but frequent updates (probs in a 2000 or less range)

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Long chapters but less frequent updates (probs 3500 word range)

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. SnowDax

SnowDax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *refresh x10000*
    No update today? Okay, I'll set up a camp here.

Red Bean, Lyndai, Levanta and 3 others like this.
  2. misaka shinobu

misaka shinobu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awn :3 <3 even though I don't want him to be with her in the original, he is so cute here ~~~

Red Bean likes this.
  3. ladyartemis

ladyartemis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I so love this fanfiction. I hope this continues. Haha *pressing the refresh button*

Red Bean, SnowDax and Lyndai like this.
  4. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 23

Masaya’s condition was utterly terrible. Even after recuperating at home for almost two weeks, his pallor still had not returned to its usual color, and the bags under his eyes had only lightened a few shades. Because of such a horrible appearance unbefitting of the heir to Kaburagi household refused to disappear, his parents kept him at home for even longer.

Their worries had only been escalating due to Masaya’s descent into sickness, so the amount of medical personel and servants to cater to his needs increased exponentially. Of course, to ensure that this wasn’t some ploy to kill himself, his windows were sealed shut, servants would be sent in to check on him every hour, and there were servants stationed outside his room, at the gate, and around the Kaburagi estate, ready to intercept Masaya should he go rogue.

Though with how heartbroken he is, I doubt he was faking it...

I left his room after having a brief conversation with him. I had snuck him some chocolates, but I clearly saw that the ones I left for him yesterday were sat, uneaten, on his bedside table.

I rested my head against the cool car window as I was brought to school. Masaya was sometimes easy to predict, and other times, he would fly completely out of my expectations. His heartbreak journey being the worst an example of that.

In order to ensure he would at least not do something stupid, I filled up Masaya’s schedule relentlessly. From having breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, to dragging him out of his room and walking around the estate, to even bringing him to the library and proding him to read a few books. My plan to slowly ease him back into his regular routines and find ways to cheer him up were futile. It did not help that his parents had him monitored and secluded from everything. This extreme seclusion and lack of privacy his parents were giving him was unhelpful at best, and downright destructive at worst.

Did they not want Masaya to return to society? I sighed as I thought that. If they kept secluding him like that, they might as well lock him up in an ivory tower in the middle of nowhere, and throw away the key.

He’s not getting any better... what do I do...

“Happy New Year, Kisshouin-san.”

I approached Reika as soon as she entered the salon. In my hand were some souvenirs I had gotten from all the suicide spots I visited last month.

“Happy New Year, Enjou-sama.” Reika’s soft voice returned the greeting and I smiled politely. I felt stares on my back so I quickly took her away to a more secluded area in the salon, then handed over the souvenirs. I looked at Reika solemnly as I considered my next action.

“Here, this is for you. Technically a souvenir from when I went here and there to fetch Masaya. Actually your hush money.”

I saw her face blanch for a brief moment before she hesitantly accepted my gift.

“…I... thank you for the consideration.”

I was pondering over how to breach the topic, but Reika ended up asking about him before I could say anything.

“You mentioned that Kaburagi-sama was down with a cold?”

“Yeah. He’s at home resting right now, actually. He went somewhere awfully cold, you see. But I guess it’s true what they say about sickness beginning with the heart. He was really weakened.”

So weak that he lost enough weight that I could haul him on my back and carry him back to the car...

“I see…”

Reika seemed to be deep in thought.

“But he’s not feverish so he’ll be fine in no time. Once Masaya’s back, I’ll leave things to you.”

“…Huh?”

I’m sorry, Reika-san, but I really am desperate.

I nodded solemnly, and Reika ended up laughing. I am not joking, Reika...

~~~~

A few days later, Masaya’s finally returned to school.

His skin was dull and pale, and his eyes had dark circles underneath and were like a dead fish. I sat beside him in the Kaburagi car, and tried to keep up a conversation despite the somber atmosphere.

In the end, I slowly drifted off and shut up. No matter what I did, he would not respond. At this rate, he might as well cut out his tongue and ears and give them to someone else, since he certainly wasn’t using them.

His extreme change was noticeable to everyone in school, even members of the faculty were giving questioning looks as they saw Masaya’s lifeless appearance. Nobody dared to go near Masaya, but not out of respect or intimidation like before, but out of confusion and perhaps trepidation. With Masaya like this, it was like Suiran had become a graveyard, devoid of life and deathly silent.

“Has something happened to the Emperor?”

There were still many people who asked me that, and despite my insistence about it being an illness, there were quite a few who believed Masaya was suffering from heartbreak.

Some rumors floated around over why he was like this. Some had the correct assumption that it was a case of being rejected, others believed he was truly sick and only barely recovered, and the few who had their heads far up in the clouds believed he had gotten into a fight with Reika and was now gloomy since she was avoiding him.

The last rumor actually made Masaya react. .

He responds if it’s Reika... perhaps...

I picked up my phone and dialed in Aira’s number. As soon as she answered, I said, “Could you convince Kisshouin-san to console Masaya?”

~~~

“Have you seen where Masaya had gone off too?”

I asked his classmate as I looked around the entrance of the school. I told Masaya to wait for me here, but where was he...?

“Ah, a girl in the Yurinomiya uniform suddenly grabbed him and then departed with him.”

“Yurinomiya?” I turn my head to look at the departing car that was already quite far from school.

Maihama Ema! Its definitely her! Masaya doesn’t have any other fangirl as shameless as her!

“E...Enjou-sama, you— are you o...okay?” The person in front of me asked.

“Ah... yes...” I forced a smile as I held my phone in a death grip. “I’m fine... I must be going now. Good bye, Kishido-san.”

“Ye... yeah.” He nodded frantically then ran away.

I massaged my forehead and unlocked my phone, dialing Auntie’s phone number to tell her Masaya had been taken away by Maihama.

At the edges of the throng of people who witnessed Masaya’s kidnapping, a curly-haired cute girl snuck away. I watched her go to her car and then depart from the school as well.

“Oh, good afternoon, Shuusuke-kun. Since you’re calling so shortly after school ended, did something happen?“

“Ah, Auntie... Masaya was taken by Maihama-san. Could you make her return him, please?”

Although my tone was light, I noticed a few people who turned around to look at me turn pale. Oh, I wonder what they saw.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  5. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 24

I sat on an armchair in a stylish but quaint apartment, drinking a cup of jasmine tea while the person who sat opposite to me was despondently staring into her cup.

“Yurie, its not your fault.”

I spoke gently as I reminded her. Last time I saw her, it was before I went off to find Masaya, and she had a terribly tear-stained face as she begged me to find Masaya quickly.

————

“Please find him!”

Yurie sobbed as she held onto my sleeve. Her beautiful face was stained with tears and she looked tired.

“Of course I will.”

————

Yurie had always been a gentle and caring person, but also firm in her decisions. It was why when she told Masaya that she would never be able to return his feelings, she did not change her mind no matter what he did. The endless letters, bouquets of flowers, the calls, and visits to her home, none of them swayed her.

I closed my eyes, remembering when Masaya lashed out violently against the guy who housed Yurie and Aira at his home in America for a year.

He was so feral...

I recalled having to grab Masaya by the scruff of his collar and pulling him back before he could lunge at the guy. His words were cold and hurtful, and his attitude was completely like a mad dog escaped from his cage. He was just short of frothing at the mouth at the poor man.

————

“How dare you act like that, Masaya!”

Masaya snapped his head towards Yurie, eyes filled with betrayal and anger, but Yurie was angrier. Far, far angrier.

“Whoever I chose to date has nothing to do with you! I don’t want to see you anymore!”

I felt Masaya deflate in my grip at her words. What was once feral has turned cowardly, then I heard him crack.

“Y...Yurie...”

His voice was so weak, so scared. I knew that I looked at his face, I would probably see only a heartbroken boy.

“Don’t appear before me ever again!”

————

If I had to say, I don’t think Yurie was in the wrong, so I don’t want her to feel guilt. Her words were harsh, but Masaya was being a complete bastard.

“... is he getting any better?”

“No.” I sighed softly as I leaned back in my seat. I didn’t want to look her in the eye. I knew if I did, she’d be able to figure out his current state, and him being like that... I didn’t want Yurie to suffer anymore than she already has.

“I shouldn’t have yelled at him.” She muttered quietly as she slumped in her seat, cradling her head in her hands as she went silent.

“You weren’t in the wrong, though. Masaya was acting like an animal.” I grimaced as the memories came back. I would be lying if I said that Masaya deserved any pity, considering that the entire situation was completely his fault to begin with. I did care about him, but I wasn’t about to make excuses for his behavior, especially when he was like that... God, if he was like that when they weren’t dating, how bad would he be when he does get into a relationship with someone? When he’s jealous? I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d end up behind bars.

Yurie remained silent.

I looked at her, and said softly, “I asked Aira to convince Kisshouin-san into helping Masaya.”

“I hope it goes well...”

I sighed, “I hope so too.”

———

Later that day, I called Aira and asked her how her talk with Reika went.

Although Reika was reluctant, she agreed to try and aid us in cheering Masaya up. I breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed.

If Reika’s helping, then maybe he’ll get somewhat better...

“What will you do if something happens between them?” Aira asked suddenly.

I smiled wryly, “You are of that opinion, aren’t you... but if something were to happen between them...”

I thought of Masaya’s state, he was a complete mess, and no matter how kind Reika may be, I doubt she’d fall for him knowing how he is towards the girls he falls for.

But if something did happen between them...

I closed my eyes, imagining Reika’s happy smile— except this time, it was directed at Masaya, and he was smiling back at her. Reika was an empathic girl with an ever gentle aura, but a coward. Masaya was headstrong and authoritative, but he always had troubles when it came to controlling his emotions.

I think their personalities would clash too much, but if Masaya straightened up then...

I remembered the widely agreed upon saying by almost every person who has seen them.

“They would suit each other so well.”

“If they’ll both be happy, then I’m ready to support them with everything I have.”

I could feel Aira’s pity for me through the phone, and I ignored the dark feelings that were bubbling up.

As long as they’ll be happy, I’m fine.

———

The next day, I anxiously waited for Reika to approach us. Also, considering Maihama’s stunt last time, I was carefully watching Masaya this time. If it weren’t for Kishido informing me where Masaya had disappeared to, I probably would’ve suffered a heart attack then and there.

I’m too young to be experiencing heart problems...

I was sitting next to Masaya in the salon when Reika finally appeared.

“Umm, Kaburagi-sama?”

She called out to Masaya as she approached. Unlike usual times where she was reluctant, she actually seemed slightly more confident in her approach. I smiled at her. Hopefully she thought of something good.

“Why not leave behind the troubles of the material world and join one of the strictly male convents in Europe? How about it? The World of Roses awaits you.”

Tonsure then throwing him into a monastery in Europe?! Reika, what kind of advice is that! Also, what even is “the World of Roses”? Are you suggesting to our son to become gay?!

I quickly stood up and grabbed Reika’s arm, “Kisshouin-san, could I have a word with you?” I felt a stiff smile on my face as I dragged Reika away from the unresponsive Masaya.

As soon as we were far enough, I released Reika and questioned her, “Why exactly does Masaya have to get a tonsure and join a convent? And in Europe too.”

“As a scion of the Kaburagi house, I believed it suitable for him to go to the true home of convents.”

“Vetoed.”
    I felt my smile cramping on my face. I did not drag him back just to have you ship him somewhere farther from home!

I saw her pout slightly, but I refused to bend. Hurry up and say something that is not dangerous! If he actually does that, I’ll blame you for it!

Reika walked back to Masaya, and I followed behind her.

“Kaburagi-sama, Japan has Mount Hiei and Mount Kouya. How about it? Throw away your worldly ties, shave your head, and enter the service of the Buddha. I think the shaved-look would suit you very well, Kaburagi-sama. You might even get a chance to meet Saigyou’s homunculus.”

“…”

What had Masaya done to you for you to want to get rid of him so much?!

Quickly, I grabbed her arm, “Kisshouin-san, could I have a word with you?”

I dragged her away yet again. “Do you think you could maybe step away from advice that involves running away from home? Kisshouin-san, you’re really just trying to seal something troublesome far away, aren’t you?”

“Goodness, no! I thought that it might be best if he had a change of pace. My intentions are entirely pure.”

“Liar.” It’s written all over your face, you want to seal him away somewhere where he can’t bother you.

Her face scrunched up a bit, her rosy cheeks puffing up in indignation as she looked at me.

“A tonsure… Monkhood…”

I heard my stupid son mutter. I flinched and turned to look at him. No!

“You see? Kaburagi-sama seems to be interested as well. Kaburagi-sama, I personally recommend the tonsure!”

“Kisshouin-san, that’s enough out of you.”

I shooed her away as quickly as I could after that.

Masaya, if you shave your head and join a convent, I am going to kill you!

————

Later that day, after I told Aira what happened, I told her to cancel Reika’s services as quickly as possible.

————

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. ladyartemis

ladyartemis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah i am overwhelmed! Two parts in a row. Thank you so much! :3

SherSher231, AzuraValle and Red Bean like this.
  7. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally the part I waited for! Reika suggesting tonsure is still gold as before.

8. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man. This part, no matter which POV it was, still had me in stitches. But Enjou, aren't you glad that Reika wouldn't raise some romance flag with Kaburagi? Also, at least Kaburagi showed some response to Reika! Which is more than what you get, lol. Thank you for the chapter!

9. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 25

It took me a whole afternoon to talk Masaya out of getting a tonsure and entering monkhood, but he was still so unresponsive to me. However, he did stop mentioning monkhood after my fifth attempt....

Just to be safe, lets tell his mom so that she can increase the security around him...

In order to keep him busy, I personally went through the Kaburagi library and found him a love poem book and gave that to him to read.

Don’t you dare fall into the path of roses!

I really underestimated Reika’s dislike for Masaya... I can’t believe I ever worried about these two getting together. With how Reika is, she’d probably chose a life of solitude over Masaya.

———

Weeks of attempting to cheer up Masaya resulted in a slight return to his normal appearance, but otherwise, he remained incredibly subdued.

Also, Yurie had apparently went and enlisted Maihama’s services in trying to cheer up Masaya, and that was why Maihama shamelessly went to Suiran and kidnapped him that one time. I had a talk with Yurie about it, and she agreed to tell Maihama to plan in advance and inform me if she was going to pick Masaya up.

However, I’m still irritated about the kidnapping, so I completely filled Masaya’s schedule for the past couple of weeks. Every attempt she had to book a time slot with Masaya, I quickly plowed over it saying Masaya either had school work to catch up on, needed rest, or I had already planned to do something with him in advance. Her frustration was rather evident, because every time we met afterwards, she had dark clouds surrounding her.

However, during my scheduled “keep-Masaya-busy” time, Maihama suddenly came up to me and loudly declared she would be spending Valentines day with Masaya.

“Did he even agree to it?”

“Obaasama said it was fine!”

I looked over to Auntie who simply had an “I’m-tired-already” expression on her face. I have to hand it to Maihama, she managed to wear down even Auntie...

“All right then. I expect you’ll be picking him up?”

“Of course!”

———

Valentines day in Suiran is really hectic.

It seems despite Masaya’s gloominess, he still raked in an abundance of chocolates from the girls. I merely watched as throngs of them, both upperclassmen and underclassmen, lined up to hand over their chocolates to Masaya. Also, because everyone has more or less come to the conclusion that Masaya had been rejected by Yurie, the girls were a lot more avid in trying to garner his attention. They failed horribly, though.

Although I was watching this amusedly, it was not like I wasn’t in a similar situation to him. I ended up receiving lots of chocolates again this year too.

I also happened to walk by Reika’s class during lunch. The girls eagerly came over and presented their chocolates to me, but when I looked around, Reika wasn’t even there.

While I received chocolates from the girls, one of them, a girl I distinctly remember as being a part of Reika’s inner circle, suddenly said to me, “Did Reika-sama give you anything, Enjou-sama?”

“Me? No, I’m afraid not.”

Why would she give me anything anyways? I’m pretty sure she dislikes me as much as she dislikes Masaya... Well that’s fine. No one ever receives chocolates from the Empress outside of her family.

It was actually a sort of legend around here that Reika’s baking is just so good that her father, the guy known as the Gourmet King, and her brother, the one who was known as Suiran’s Prince Charming before he graduated, selfishly decided that Reika wasn’t allowed to make homemade food for anyone. There were many guys who have dropped hints to her that they would like some, but after I talked with them, they completely changed their minds.

Don’t ask for her chocolates. I smiled kindly at them.

“Oh, thats... odd then.” Reika’s friend said after a moment, a puzzled expression on her face.

“What is?”

“I thought that if she wasn’t going to give the chocolates to Kaburagi-sama, then she was going to give it to you...”

My face cramped. “She is going to give chocolates to someone?”

Who is it?

Who dared to go behind my back to cozy up to Reika and receive chocolates from her?

“They weren’t handmade, but she did buy two. I think they were courtesy chocolates.”

“Oh.”

I felt the tension leave my body as I inwardly sighed. What the heck is wrong with me?

“Perhaps its the Handicrafts Club President?”

“Oh, Enjou-sama, you knew Reika-sama was accepted?” Her eyes widened in surprise and I nodded.

I don’t think anyone doesn’t know Reika joined. Whether they believe it is another matter though.

“Ahaha~ it is probably for them then!”

“I see... Well, I must get back. Thank you for the chocolates.” I smiled politely and quickly left.

“””Gokigen’yoh, Enjou-sama!”””

———

At the end of the day, I parted ways with Masaya and planned to head home. However, there was a commotion at the gates again.

“Masaya-sama, the Valentine’s chocolates I promised.”

“…”

Maihama sure came fast... Wait, aren’t those the chocolates Reika brought to the party last time? I watched from a distance as Masaya lifelessly accepted the chocolates. Maihama was smirking proudly as she around looked at the girls who glared daggers at her.

“My, Reika-san.”

I immediately moved forward and started to pay more attention as Maihama began to smirk at Reika.

“Gokigen’yoh, Maihama-san.” Reika responded calmly as she gave her signature “You’re-a-bother” smile. I had been on the receiving end of that a few times, so I know for sure what it was.

“Masaya-sama and I are going home to eat my Valentine’s chocolates together.”

“I see.”

“His Okaasama invited me, after all. Are you going to his house too, Reika-san?”

“No.” Reika looked almost annoyed at her questioning, as if she couldn’t be bothered to play along with her.

Maihama seemed to have taken it was her being irritated at not being invited, however. “Oh my ! Were you not invited, Reika-sama? Oh my, I’m so sorry. Were you expecting something?”

I pulled my phone out of my bag then sent Masaya a quick text, “You should head home already. I’ll come after Maihama leaves.”

I looked up and watched as Masaya looked down at his phone, then walk off to his car, climb in, then leave. Meanwhile, Maihama was busily trying to infuriate an apathetic Reika.

It was only when Masaya had already left did Maihama notice he was gone. Hurriedly, she ran back to her car and chased after him. You look pretty pathetic, Maihama-san.

Thats when I started hearing snarls.

What the heck?

“How dare that woman speak to you like that!?” growled one of Reika’s friends, who held onto one of Reika’s arms.

“Unforgiveable…! Reika-sama! Punish that upstart!” snarled another.

... Reika has really scary friends...

“She will never amount to much,” Reika said with a tone of finality. Her expression was cold, but I noticed she was smiling slightly.

... Reika, a smile that doesn’t reach the eyes is absolutely scary, you know?

In the end, her words had a calming effect and her friends calmed down.

I turned around and entered my car, and went home.

Ding!

... Who is it now? I opened my phone and checked my notifications.

“I’ll be over at your house after school. I also made you some chocolate, Shuu! They’re the best ones I’ve made yet, please try some! - Yuiko”

... Ahh... its a good thing I already made plans today.

“Take me to the Kaburagi estate.”

“Yes, young master.”

10. aceclover95

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, at this time she would also choose a life of solitude over you.

Ah, it would be funnier if he said 'my Reika' heheh

You should take a look in the mirror, Enjou. Your black smile probably a lot scarier than hers.

Lol he really doesn't want to spend time with Yuiko.

Thank you for the chapter!

11. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be funnier... ah~ Enjou acting as a cuckolded husband is my favorite thing ever.

Of course his is scarier. Reika learned from the master of terrifying smiles.

Well, when someone clingy tries to stick to you and you can evade them... would you really not evade them? Enjou is a smart child. Just rush over to the Kaburagis and ignore her!

Irie, Silverwind, LoveHime and 2 others like this.
  12. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Imma post the next ones on tuesday or wednesday, depending on when my schedule clears up. The next ones are funny so I hope you guys will enjoy Enjou’s suffering!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  13. SnowDax

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for updating! I love it so much~
    Now setting up a new camp.

Silverwind likes this.
  14. cursebreaker

cursebreaker Outer disciple of Danmei Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Waah... this is sooo good. Just started this morning but I breezed through all the chapters! I ship Reika with Enjou too~ Looking forward to the next updates ♥

15. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, I have something to say about the chapters that were due two days ago; because of an incredibly full schedule and several upcoming works, I won’t be able to post the promised chapters.

To make up for it, as soon as I can get back on top of my work, I’ll release four chapters next time I release.

Sorry for getting your hopes up...

16. SnowDax

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay. It's okay. I already set the camp here, I guess we will have bbq later while waiting.

mw_mw_chan, AzuraValle and Silverwind like this.
  17. aceclover95

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll join the camp. I will bring the marshmallows, hot chocolate, and the cards!

Silverwind and SnowDax like this.
  18. KazenoTsuyoi

KazenoTsuyoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The source of the curse!!!

19. Red Bean

Red Bean Tired Bun Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG I WAITED FOR SOMEONE TO NOTICE THAT.

THANK YOU.

20. KazenoTsuyoi

KazenoTsuyoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    YOUR WELCOME
    Every chapters feels like it's the real work and not fanfic, so it makes me enthusiastic for the next one.

I can't wait for the bestowal of curse book, Yukino&Reika dance, the pylori conversation and the most anticipated phone conversation about fireworks fest.