Recommendations Kingdom/Country/Dungeon Building Novels in 2020

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by venu101, Dec 12, 2020.

1. venu101

venu101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey so have any kingdom/country building novels that have caught your eye this year in 2020? Can be any language.

Yeah I haven't been active here for atleast a year because I got lost in Fanfiction.

Imperiestro likes this.
  2. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    You might have heard of these

Mediterranean Hegemon of Ancient Greece is a newly translated one at 150+chapters. I've heard that the writing is very deep, hence the translation might have some lost styles and meaning. It's pretty great though, both the story and translation.

The Mech Touch, while focused on mechs, designing, and a protagonist who is interesting but people have mixed feelings for, has a very fleshed out world and characters and built up for clan-building (think of a travelling independent country with military strength) a thousand chapters in. Despite flaws, the story is very mature because the author is very experienced with fanfictions and writing. I don't see myself dropping it anytime soon, I'm at 2000 chapters.

Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet With a Bad End. It isn't it's main focus, at least at the start. But if you're okay with going through harem that has a surprisingly refreshing execution, interesting story, and action, then around 100 chapters in where I'm at, there is kingdom/country building, and it is heavily implied there will be much of it alongside the storyline.

3. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    Kingdom building is something that's really hard to get right. All of the system/game elements ones do them very poorly since it feels more like someone playing a game than managing a real kingdom.

A lot of people would recommend novels like I am the Monarch and Realist Hero's Kingdom, but they have rather large flaws as kingdom building novels.

The ones i would recommend are: Tales of the Reincarnated Lord, Enlightened Empire (Scribblehub) and maybe Alderamin if you're looking for a more warfare oriented novel with kingdom building starting at later volumes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  4. llltiagolll

llltiagolll Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Holy Roman Empire, there is little properly translated, but the mtl is very good, it has more than 1000 chapters and is by far the best Kingdom building out there, even when comparing with those already mentioned.

5. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I gotta put this into my to-reads

6. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to mention Time Traveler's Guide to Feudal Japan

It's the warring states sengoku era, with shoguns and samurais. It's slow-paced, dark and serious, with strategies, action, and relaxing parts.

All that I mentioned I discovered these past few months

7. Cyanhart

Cyanhart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My german empire on webnovel

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that the best kingdom building novels I've read are historical and are sadly either undertranslated or not translated at all:

步步生莲
    This is the best book I've read in the last ten years. It has basically everything you'd want in a kingdom building novel and then some. This book is just so incredibly filled with historical detail, political intrigue, betrayals, long term and short term strategy, shenanigans, lots of war, and a fantastic cast of characters. I go back to this book and reread passages all the time because it's just that good.

大争之世
    Another book by the same writer. In this one, the protagonist starts off as the crown prince of Wu during the Warring States era right after his father gets deposed. Like the other book, it has a lot of historical detail and it features some pretty recognizable historical figures like Sun Tzu and Confucius. Just more rich writing.

For a Prosperous World
    This one is not strictly a kingdom building novel although it certainly has some elements of it. It's a much simpler book than the other two, but the writing is still very good; just a lot of meaning stuff into relatively few words. This book is a unique exploration of immorality and it's well worth reading for that alone.

I've heard some pretty good things about this book. I'll probably check it out after the writer finishes it. It does sound pretty cool.

While I haven't read this book, I have read 新海月1's previous book and he's just not a very good writer. What saves his books is that they have very interesting subject matters (why yes, I'd love to read a book about Franz Josef I!), but they're so self-serving that it gets pretty hard to read.

I'd say that "King of Mercenaries" and its sequel are books that do much the same thing but are more readable. But even these books are super self-serving and the writer is a putz!

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26010/dungeon-42 -(note: on temp hiatus due to medical issues) recent chapters has the dungeon expanding above ground and collecting refugees.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21700/dungeon-robotics -(note: most early chapters were taken down due to Kindle Unlimited requirements) dungeon has expanded above ground and assimilated the adjacent town, which in recent chapters is approaching city size, along with setting up colony towns with auxiliary cores, the dungeon is also actively fighting necromancers threat and their undead hoards

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    venu101 likes this.
  10. anton_noir

anton_noir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    does anyone have any info on the translated version of "The world civilization million lords" by flying de lazy cat.
    Read the MTL wanted to know if there is a translation.

11. 3xtBlade

3xtBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon Heart on RRL. It was a pretty old original which went on hiatus for like, the past three years, and finally began updating again two months back

venu101 likes this.
  12. Chayle

Chayle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link