Kobato's defense

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by kobatochandaisuki, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if they didn't contact me? I didn't contact them either and what stops me from ranting and complaining in my group's discord? Maybe it wasn't a wisest thing to do but why should the fault be on me for something I didn't do?
    How would I know it would go to the korean forum? So is it my fault?
    I'm free to rant in my space about people I don't like although I didn't expect this to happen. You never have hatred against someone for something they did to you in the past?

2. kobatochandaisuki

Reading List:
    Link
    How can I prove something that happened while I was away with my family's guests the whole day?? And how to prove that the anonymous are not me??

3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course, I have. That's why I jumped on that comment so quick. It's in our laws that everyone has the right to a fair trial and they innocent until proven guilty. You make it sound like America is sooooo bad. Every country has a flawed system, nothing works perfectly. When our judicial system actual works, it's pretty decent.

4. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, that is precisely what you do. The judge will ask if you, as the accused, plead innocence of guilt. Then the prosecution, or simply opposing council in case of a civil suit, will be asked to provide PROOF that the accused is, in fact, guilty. Then the defence will attempt to poke holes into said arguments, then, if judged the prosecution provided proof beyond a reasonable doubt, the person is convicted. At no point will the accused be asked to provide proof of their innocence. At most, they will be asked to provide proof to specific statements. For example, if I'm being accused of robbing a liquor store and claim that I couldn't possibly have done because I was out of the country at that time, then I will be asked to provide proof that backs that statement. At no point will a Judge ever, under any circumstance, say " And now the defence will show proof of their client's innocence". I don't think you understand the concept of Burden of Proof. This is not just words that I put together, it's a literal and binding legal concept which is absolute. Otherwise, everything is just he said/she said. The burden of proof is always on the person who brings a claim in a dispute. It is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, a translation of which in this context is: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges."

5. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm almost certain, sites have a login and active cache, even if it's anonymous. If your profile/account that you've hopefully used for a while wasn't active, while those posts were going down, it's pretty easy to prove it wasn't you. I'll be frank with you, this whole situation is honestly a joke. If you can't get the site's admins to fetch the data, just calm down and take a week off if you're this emotionally wrecked over some comments. Go get advice from people that have experience with this kind of stuff, like RWX or hell, even Tony here on NUF.

I've been having a back and forth with people on this thread basically for my amusement. This isn't THAT big of an issue, and the reason why I called you childish was because of the reaction you had towards the end of the post. It was annoying. The other party I think are whiny pussies for jumping to threatening you over this.

kenar and kobatochandaisuki like this.
  6. kobatochandaisuki

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's possible to get datas due to data protection laws and not even sure if I can reach admins cuz it's the biggest community website in Korea (somewhat like reddit)...
    Seriously, I feel I don't want to dig deeper because I'm afraid and I still don't want tk go unspoken so I'm confused...
    But thank you for your kind advice...I think I will try to wait a bit and see...or just let things go because I don't know if I can still cope with all this more

7. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, boy. You do realize, that by arguing and attempting to "poke holes", they are defending the accused and trying to "prove their innocence" right? That's kinda what the whole argument is about in the first place... If the accused is, in fact, guilty.

I'm not talking about laws here. Just the simple fact that, if one is accused of something, they don't just say I'm innocent and it ends there IF they want to be cleared of suspicion and clear their name. Laws are annoying anyway, lol. Always some kind of loophole that screws someone over in the end. But, anyway, peace. I ain't no lawyer, derp a derp, obviously. Haha.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. OwnerBu

OwnerBu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tsk I dunno I always done things in a straight forward way even now, I always thought If I can't prove myself innocent whats the point of even defending myself? What's the point of pointing my finger at someone else and blaming them for framing me. And you obviously haven't met enough terrible people if you just assume everyone's pure and kind. I assume everyone is horrible because I've seen people thats horrible the moment I met them. Sure there's always good people out there but let me ask you, do you treat everyone on the street with the same open mind-ness as you treat your close friends? let them know about your opinions? You hardly do that, and sure it's not like me saying everyone is guilty the moment I met them. But you give everyone the doubt the first moment you meet them base on their looks, age, genders, and all that. So what's wrong with me giving this dude the doubt when I first read this opinion. Whats the point of saying they are innocent or guilty if you don't take a side first? Ignorant of society, hmm maybe I am but not everyone you met treats you with kindness. I assume they're guilty, assume they're innocent. Then I get proven wrong. We make a prejudice opinion and the point of being a part of the "jury" is to get proven right about your hunch or wrong about your hunch. In the end it's not us who's on trial. It's them.

Bad Storm likes this.
  9. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, man. As I said, this isn't that big of an issue. The best thing you can do, for your public image, is prove you are innocent. But regardless, if you can't think properly, take some time off and get some actual, proper help. Cuz fuck it, I don't know and I'm sure most of us keyboard warriors hiting up this post don't know.

kenar likes this.
  10. Raistlin97

Raistlin97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is that even that report would mean nothing, as in all likelihood, were one to go through the trouble of using three different accounts to attack MeteorStrike, one would also likely use a different computer, and an email that is not associated with their own account and email. Thus, how do you accurately prove that you didn't use a public library computer to do it? If MeteorStrike were to have legitimately believed KCDS to have written the post, the way they have handled it has at the very least greatly reduced the odds of them succeeding with legal action. One cannot prove a negative, except by either proving an alternative that would contradict the original assertion. If I claim I was asleep, and someone else claims, for example, that I did something online using a dummy account, my innocence cannot be proven. Thus, the law has been set such that those who accuse another must offer proof of their assertions, not merely 'this feels like you did it' nonsense. Until MeteorStrike can actually prove that the posts were written by KCDS, and not just someone in some wise associated with him, then they are baseless assertions, and MeteorStrike comes off as very unprofessional.

Ghost_Spawn, kenar, Bad Storm and 2 others like this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    You've read enough stories of people being accused of something they didn't do, right? Other than deus ex machina, has there ever been a way for one of those characters to prove that they didn't do what they were said to do? The same case here. If someone says "You insulted my dudes using another account!" on the net and stating that you were online at that time and you hated them, how can you prove that you haven't insulted them? It's on the net, and anyone can just make a random account to do it. What defense would you have?

Admitting that you're mentally drained or depressed while is not an evidence of innocence is still a fair defense. You can even use that in the court of law, you know. The state of mind of the accused during the trial makes a difference in the outcome of the trial, even without a single supporting evidence in favour of the accused.

There is no winning a slander, not that I'm saying it's a slander. That's why when someone made an accusation, it is their responsibility to provide proper evidence, not "He said this here. So he must've said it there as well". All one needs to do, is pretty much CTRL+C and CTRL+V.

The only winning move before slander is to not play in the first place. Which means, if Kobato really didn't do this, whoever did this was trying to pressure Kobato into quitting the translation scene altogether. Have you thought who would benefit from Kobato quitting?

12. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    first i want to say that i'm not on kobato side, nor on MST side , i'm on the "let it die, it does not matter, even more since the ones judging is this community itself, and we know how we are, did not we?"

but i would still like to give my 2 cents about everything, now that we have both sides of the history.

Lol, people asking for proof of innocence here, this is a court ?
    one said she did, other said they did not.
    simple believe in anyone you want and this is only what matter but since people like to argue, let's do a rundown of the events!

1:MST brought his version as stating that someone with 3 anonymous account have send a msg to the author in the comment section of the novel in a public korean forum, a PUBLIC korean forum that is suppose to receive msg like that.
    2: the author contacted the sender and initiate a talk between them.
    3: the commenters stated know facts from the community where it have taken place.

if MTS wants to takes legal action is in right to do! but if i'm him i would not because where he seems very convincing in putting his pieces together and all the fingers seems to point to kobato, the only thing he have in his favor is the bad blood between both of them and a secret info about game translator, a translator of a game, sorry i'm not saying that the info is false but people really wants us to believe that the guy did the translation of a entire game and played it solo? it never got out, he himself never make it public for other to play? this is harder to shallow than everything else i have see since the start of this fight between them and this very fight in itself, people who believes in this alone should not be allowed to judge(as giving their opinion) any of the parties in this case since you are believing in something really ,really ,really unlike to have happen.(gonna talk more about this below)

so both of his "proof's" alone would not means anything in court nor to request the forum to break the anonymous posts IP and should not be enough to condene someone in this forum or ir any place since are we really talking here about a crime? the moral society of internet would come knocking in this post and say yes but is NOT is in his free speech to say so and is so in creating a "POST about a bad translation in his view about the novel" (again i'm not saying that is bad,i'm saying that this anonymous user intend!, something that is very normal for a novel community to see, we have posts every day about how certain groups are bad, how qidian is doing shit job an so on, so why this is wrong in the korean community? they are the same human as us and there is the same amount of haters there as well).
    going on on the final stance what the "anonymous guy" said to that author after creating his post by a moral standpoint is not something "nice" but again against the law? not even close, even more given the nature of the forum and the community they are visiting and where everything stated.

going on to analyze the evidence now:

first mst:
    PEOPLE; facts brought to public attention in the community that they work and live in(NUF for example) by their previous fight can not be used as proof of anything in this scenery that happened in another public forum by a anonymous account, since is a TOPIC THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO ENOUGH ATTENTION to give reasonable doubt that anyone who frequent this community and is active enough would know about it, so in front of the law we would all be as good suspect as kobato is.
    going on even more i went and checked kobato's discord and there close to 2k people, a little more than 1900, so we could run down the "pool" of suspect to everyone in that discord and have seen "kobato's rant as he stated " and in the end could have still be kobato himself/herself anyway BUT with 1900 people unless MST can bring proof to bring down this number anymore , anything he say is is moot in the end he did not proof anything that we already did not know and the only real evidence outside of it was suppose to be the game translation aspect , i'm not korean expert but outside of what i stated before about how is very unlikely that the guy keep the secret to "only" the kobato's group and the MST groups since this by itself is proof that he is not keen in keeping it secret anyway, since once he joined kobato's he told them and now that he joined MST he told them as well and this alone is at least evidence that he is not really keen in keeping it a secret and why would he? translation of a game is a awesome job and gudos for him, even if we know that the korean community would haggle with you i do not think that you or anyone should be ashamed because of it, even more IF it was this that allowed you to go legal and not only help the community but the author as well but kobato stated that the msg talks about chinese people and not himself-herself.

on the other hand MST coming here with the community with their official business statement saying NAMES like he said is enough to reverse the entire situation all together(law wise), with his case we have reasonable doubt and guesses, he could have hit the mark without doubt and was in fact kobato who did it but from the info he gave us it should not be enough for anyone to believed that, is everything too generic and assumption above assumptions , it does not mean anything and it should not mean anything for anyone!,
    on the other hand by licensing his novels we could say that they are joining the "adult" world of novels now and where i do understand the personal reason for his statement he should be above this all as "adult" and do not go back to the parking to argue with the children even more when the ammunition he have is the ones he listed about a isolate case that happened so far one time in the korean community, is not professional of them to do so.

now about kobato:
    kobato have thrown at us the emotional answer, is wrong to do so? is not, even if they still ask for money for extra chapters of his works he is still on the fan side of things and should be perfectly normal for someone in this stage to use this type of response, even if i'm myself do not agree with it since as i said i'm looking at the evidences so by using the emotional stance on his side it clearly mean to "evokes" on us sympathy for him and this is standard procedure in this type of cases about pointing fingers at each other and is used more and more by people who is guilty , so i would feel better that if kobato really did not answered like that and gave a more normal statement about everything since to fight there is always two people or more.
    of course i'm not saying that he is lying and he is really in this state it should be better for him to leave NUF and focus on his website,his novels and his discord, yes criticize is a good thing for anyone but we know that our community is not a super friendly one and it have been made multiples studies that positive feedback is a lot more helpfully for a person, so focusing in what makes him good would be better for him and the community since we would not loose another translation.

conclusion:
    with the info i had so far i would like to say that where my statement here more or less seems to imply that i'm kobato's side, i would like to say again my first statement that i'm on : "let it die, it does not matter, even more since the ones judging is this community itself, and we always know how we are, did not we?"
    i'm more inclined to say that even if MST is right , he failed in his approach it was a simple isolate case and the previous bad blood between them have brought a "exaggerate response" that brought down new problems for everyone since nothing is "really" happening or plaguing his works with "only" this one case, even more if he really missed the bullet.
    to kobato, i have read your responses and where i said again that emotional response implies guilty i would like to say that i'm not saying you are! overall as i said before it was a isolated case and there is not enough proof, so i would recommend for you to join my side of "let it die" and focus on your work, i read a lot on your novels before but i put almost all of them on hold because of release rate, so keep the good work and try to rest more.
    ( tried to deflate the post seriousness by bringing up the release rate, do not take it as personal attack in anyway and form. )

AliceShiki and kenar like this.
  13. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Completely off-topic, but I would also like to see more chapters of Royal Roader on My Own.
    Only issue is that Kobato doesn't translate anything himself and barely pays the translators to incentive them into translating faster.
    I honestly wished he would just drop the novel all together and let another group work on it.
    I'm sick of seeing chapters split into multiple pages or having to go through his site on mobile.

14. M4rcosR3is

Reading List:
    Link
    did you read my ps?
    it was a joke, i even stated in it.
    upload_2019-9-15_0-13-28.png

it took sometime for me as not english main language , to write and forward all my thoughts in a way that would make sense for eveyrone else reading , even more in a complex subject like this one, so in the end i felt tired so i tried to end up with a joke.

while i share some sympathy for your pleas about the novel it does not matter his intend or how he does it, at least he is doing it! this is a fact, there is a lot of people who does not, so we can not complain about it and ask more of him for it.

kenar likes this.
  15. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry about that, I missed that spoiler tag.
    But it still doesn't change the fact that he's holding some series as hostage from other groups.
    I think it would do the readers a more justice if he allowed another group to take over some of the series, lowering the burden on his team to work on multiple series and fail all of them.

16. AccidentallyStranger

AccidentallyStranger New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that i am on Kobato side. Why did MSM start that drama at all? They need talk to author first and ask him about title name, nickname and illegal past their group. Just ask author and make public his answer. They may start voting about cover. Other bullshit like mobile game not intresting anyone exept author and MSM because it may affect theit relationship but maybe not. Is this just rumors without proofs, right?
    For me as a reader, MSM behavior looks disgusting and i don't want read their translation regardless guilty sides. If Kobato really do it, MSM choose worst tactic i think.
    P.S. I am study English, don't blame me please.

17. M4rcosR3is

Reading List:
    Link
    about it, this is "the only" thing that i never agreed with the community, i may have seen as oddball but where i'm all for anyone who translates and give them the right to do what they want with their work, ask for money, release when they want and everything else you may think of , all this "hostage scenery" of novels that you stated is the biggest ******** i ever saw this community bringing to life.
    the work should speak by themselves, more than 15 years ago when i started in this culture, that started with manga i remember that there was sometimes 3-4 or more groups working in one piece, naruto and the most popular titles, and everyone did their best, and of course we the fans was the biggest winner, each one would read from the ones they like and that's it.
    So if a group wanted to translate a novel that is already being done, let them do it, let they fight the old fight and the strongest win, simple as that, if they are really doing it for themselves and not seeking anything outside of what they should have right to have, there should never be a complain about a group translating something that another group is already doing.

kenar likes this.
  18. Szefowo

Szefowo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe study more english my friend. No mention of mobile game in the post, just video game in general.

MSM have contract with author, so novel title, cover, nickname, and other informations should already be agreed upon, or else contract would not have been signed.

I read through MSM post and see how suspicious Kobatochan similarity are to forum posts. I also remember Kobato has many other dramas with other groups, because he has lied and cheated them before.

19. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Note: I am not a lawyer or a detective. You (Kobato) can choose to use these options or find your own.

The time frame is between 12:30 to 2:00 A.M. (PST) according to the second quoted post above. So, option 1 for OP (Kobato) is to send a screenshot of your history browser to MSM (or to fuel up the drama). If it does or does not contain the Korean site at the time (I am assuming it requires a browser), then there is 'proof'. Do note that it is possible to delete history depending on the browser. But, since the OP stated he was with family, friends, or guests then there should be a blank time period or very few websites that were accessed.
    Option 2: Is to get witnesses (that are not close to you) to prove your statement. If you went outside somewhere, then remember the people or pictures that you've taken. However, if you were inside, then option 1 is more favored (or you can think up something specific to 'prove' that you were not online at 2 a.m., but it may backfire against you). Another thing to note is your standard time because it seems like an odd time for guests (midnight - 2 a.m.) so you may not be in PST.
    Option 3: Is to consider you may get involved in a lawsuit and being depressed is not going to delay it since the other party seem serious. Therefore, you will need to write down and remember what had happened to see if there is anything that can stop it from happening. Though, I hope you don't resort to Option 3 as this will make your condition deteriorate even more. (time, money, emotions, etc.)

20. dezzter

dezzter The one who knows

Reading List:
    Link
    Another brand new account taking kobato's side, so either someone is working very hard to frame you or you guilty because it's looking even more suspicious.

Can you really blame people for being suspicious of you after past drama though? I know there is blame on both sides in some of the past things but all the things you have been involved in don't paint a great picture of you and the amount of novels your group takes vs release rate of each makes people think even lesser of you, A Wandering Panda makes a fair point on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.