Kobato's defense

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by kobatochandaisuki, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beholder

Beholder New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I meant with "military clique" not being good was when you put it with the rest of title, as "World's best military clique" doesn't sound good, but this also comes to personal preference after I thought a bit about it.

And yeah. Context is important and I thought from my knowledge that "Militia" could be used to describe military unit made of commoners so that's why I was more for this than "Warlord".
    Seems like I need to refresh my knowledge bit more.

Thanks for the push to refresh some information and giving big informative answer to each of the 3 options.

2. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tho I first came with "Warlord" before "military clique" althought both are for me based on the context of the novel, the original meaning of the korean world and the equivalent in english + the etymology of the word, the best and more correct translation. (Warlord sounds better than "military clique/junta" but i only came with clique during the arguement against the attackers) And it's not like the original title in korean was hard to translate or complicated or looking ugly once translated in english.

Especially the context of the story was that he build a local force (not just a militia or any army) like a military junta within a country crumbling due to the appearance of monsters and surnatural powers. (like the Qing Empire crumbling down at the end of the 19th century and seeing military cliques and warlords taking power in provinces).
    I already said but that's even what the MC says IIRC in the very beginning of the novel.
    I don't know why I'm being personally attacked as if I was ignorant while I'm based on many sources + context of the novel. But funny when it's from people who couldn't even read the novel to attack me with arguments coming out of nowhere or dictated maybe by MSM (cuz no other source).

Even when I show screeshots of many sources saying the word 군벌 = warlord, they still throw in my face that it's wrong. So if I bring sources and evidences, it's wrong, but fine if they just base on nothing except their conviction??

Moreover, the MC starts with his companions from the mercenary company and then grow his power within the realm. His goal is actually not just forming an militia because an army or militia is just a mean as to have his own lands and power. And he clearly stated that. That he and his group will become the biggest power in the territory because the country became chaotic and powerless.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll agree that militia usually means 'untrained people forming together to defend their own people, homes etc.'

I'll also agree that a miltia never really strives to become the powerhouse in the region usually.

But...
    Let me try and make a list of 'necessary requirements' to be a warlord
    1. Have an armed force, be it well-trained , well-equipped, large or not, just have one
    2. Be within 'claimed' territory belonging to some nation , faction or organization, but not actually obey the people in charge of those, due to some reason or another
    3. Use mentioned troops to make sure noone would consider trying to retake your territory for the faction / organization etc. either because it's not worthwhile or because casualties would be too large
    Quite simple right ? As an example, there are currently african warlords right ? Men with what could be described as an army, within their own borders, ruling those areas, and only paying symbolic loyalty to the president ?

This could all be easily explained by instead of using warlord, you would use some noble rank. But that would need the actual MC to claim 'legitimacy' over the region and consider themself an aristocrat. So unless he does that, it's a no-go.

But I have a very simple question. Does the MC and his people 'claim' those lands they're in as theirs and therefore defend it, or do they simply defend them and people them sort of acknowledge those lands as theirs to just put a general region where not to interfere in , but they never 'demand' noone to interfere with those lands?

If it's the first, Warlord would suit, if it's the latter, Militia might suffice, although calling them a militia as they grow ever more experienced, likely more and better equipment and if I know novels correctly, defeating at some point in time some organized military forces is... pushing it.

Let's take other examples of citizens turned soldiers without being part of the army.
    American National Guard. They're part-time soldiers usually, but noone would consider them militia, because they're organized , trained and supplied the way they are. If things actually happen and USA is invaded, militia would form from the people not currently serving (other than maybe some instructors to train them being sent there on orders)
    Greek & Italian Citystate Citizen-Soldiers , essentially every able-bodied man had to serve to the best of their capacity during wartime if the need is there. Greeks were well-trained, but had no standing professional army, but could muster their men to service and expand the age limits if things go really bad. Italians were somewhat similar before Rome showed the way to do it, with a professional full-time army who served as long as they wanted or until a certain timelimit when they could retire with the rewards for their services, or the troops would be dismissed and the troops could later be recalled or formed into other legions. Noone would call the legions militia, but the citizens could be called to arms in any settlement they lived in if the need required it, and in some cases those groups would be of militia quality or size.

So it's not only context of the situation, it's the purpose of the troop organization and how other groups recognize them as well.

So basically, there's no single term to use for all types of situations which would sit well with all types of that kind of situations.

4. kobatochandaisuki

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, it's exactly like the chinese warlord era. The country is kind of still there but shattered due to the monsters and the MC begins with his mercenaries companions to act like a separate country. And they are 1st class mercs, extremely well trained. Moreover, the MC power gives ability to supply and equip like a regular army (Tanks, APC, navy, jet fighters or helicopters like the US Army, etc). So while the size starts small, the army is being trained like special forces and gets the best equipments the MC can provide. A complete foot infantry equipment (Helmet, bulletproof vests, etc etc) like an US army infantry + infantry support weapons is not what of a mere militia.
    Then they grow bigger their sphere of influence and expands. So it's no part-time soldiers, they are well-organized, fully trained, well (even overly) supplied and equipped (gets even more OP with more weapons as the story goes obviously).

5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    So they're effectively a regular army in everything other than leadership , because they follow the MC who has no official authority or position within the nation?

6. kobatochandaisuki

Reading List:
    Link
    MC was just a mere merc (tho top class one) and just happened to be in Korea with his companions. Then he got the power to "summon" modern weapons when the monsters suddenly appeared.
    MC saw a kind of opportunity in the chaos because the country was literally shattered (all gov. services dispersed, handicaped or decimated, everybody struggling on their own for the survival, etc) and he decided to create his own regional power like a warlord or a military clique.
    The army is a mean and a way to expand although it is the main aspect of the story because a story is obviously more interesting (and easier to make contents) with combats. Well, actually, you could say combat (+ unlocking better weapons and getting more OP) is what really matters when you read but still, the title comes from the decision he made in becoming a warlord/military clique.
    It's not about "i have to defend the people, arm them so that we can protect ourselves so i'll raise a militia" kind of altruist mind at all. He thinks obviously in an egoistic way to become a power, and work for his own interest. Tho that's what the general trend is in the korean novels.

(Btw, as a side note, this novel is kind of extremely "inspired" from another novel that came a tiny bit earlier and has many similar points (abilitity to summon weapon, building a military clique/becoming a warlord, anti-patriotic (even to the point to divide & conquer the old korea), etc etc etc)

7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lmao

1. TS saying the novel sucks = his opinion
    2. TS saying your cover sucks = his opinion

also if you want to determine if the discord accounts are of the same person, turn on dev options and look at the snowflake id.

this is childish and just high school bullying over someone having a different opinion

people have said harsher things about novels on NUF, why not threaten to sue them all too?

oh and also please take legal action against all those who vote 1* on the novel at NU

kenar, kobatochandaisuki and GDLiZy like this.
  8. kobatochandaisuki

Reading List:
    Link
    Just asking but where do i get that dev option on discord, please? never saw that.

I personally think the MSM did threaten me and made public statements (or should I say, public defamation against me) for 2 reasons I think:
    1. viral marketing (cuz they are a nobody)
    2. make themselves a good image

Before they messed with me for the first time, I had never heard of them although I've been in the translation for much longer than maybe the majority we can currently see on NU.
    But then looking at how they have this many "partisans" to attack me each time, I think they've been just preparing for such opportunities to make themselves a name. Also, they especially try to make themselves look good while they slander me and lie to everybody (but then they claim that I'm actually the one who slander them and lie. same repertory each time as well)
    I have many suspicions about them now from the informations i get but that's another story.

The thing that makes me facepalm hard is when they promote their PROFESSIONALISM, boasting about it when they act in a very sly way and just prove nothing but the fact that they are doing immature things (while I may do solve or react to things in an immature way too but at least I don't brag about PROFESSIONALISM, maturity or anything they like to come with as to show how they are so much superior than anybody else).

Works me up every time I think about this incident now.
    Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you.

9. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    What's a forum muted, ai-chan? It's the first time I hear about it :blob_tilt:

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's when someone is being so offensive or harassing, that the moderator decides they're not allowed to post on a thread or the whole forum. Normally used on trolls whose only reason for existence is to make people angry or distressed instead of contributing to the discussion in a fair manner. They're not banned from the forum, they're just not allowed to make a post.

kenar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.