Discussion KR and JP Tropes poll

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Nov 16, 2017.

?

Which do you like better? (Choose one KR and one JP)

1. JP Isekai Hero Summoning with Hero v Demon Lord plot

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. JP Isekai Cheat with a Adventurer's Guild and Dungeon dive plot

22 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. KR VRMMO plot

35 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. KR Modern Earth with Dungeons plot

41 vote(s)
    51.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you do the second options for both, won't there be a significant overlap? I mean, sure, one is in a fantasy world and the other is modern day earth, but those are just the backdrops. If the core of the story is dungeon delving, they're the same flippin' thing!

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This plot is almost never played straight. It's always "They wanted me to fight the demons but I'm gonna enjoy a leisurely harem life in another world!"

3. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Do them all? jk lol
    Chose JP Isekai Cheat with a Adventurer's Guild and Dungeon dive plot & KR VRMMO plot

But if you did the hero v demon lord.. who would be the demon lord among everyone? >.<"

4. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Thinking in terms of resources needed for making a VN, art is almost always the most expensive (in terms of time and money).

KR modern world setting can limit the amount of hand-drawn backgrounds you need, as you can replace them with photos if necessary.

KR dungeon settings and JP dungeon diving can reuse similar backgrounds for the dungeons, so you could save on extra background art there if you pick that combo.

On the other hand, JP adventurer guild and KR VRMMO may be able to share similar background art as well, as long as the VRMMO is a fantasy/medieval one. (Countryside scenes, tavern scenes, etc.)

So therefore, JP adventurer guild + dungeons, and KR modern world + dungeons would be my suggestion. It does kind of provide a kind of similar gameplay for both paths, but you can distinguish the difference using the tone in writing (slice-of-life versus desperately-trying-to-save-world-from-apocalypse).

5. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the target audience are the NU community, I would still vote for JP 1, but Japanese web novels are almost anti-cliche of Japanese Games as well as Japanese Visual Novels so... That's just bringing the old Japanese style gaming system.

I'll change my vote and gonna have the same answer with Dizzcity

6. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
    i would chose a Isekai Hero Summoning with Hero v Demon Lord plot with a kr mc,i just can't stand more japaneses bitches...maybe someone charismatic like mr.lyle from Sevens or someone that act like a normal person like rudeus from Mushoku Tensei were you can see that the mc actually matures through the novel(though there is a harem in both of them), but good writers like that are hard to find nowadays :blobpensive: i would seriously love another novel like tate no yuusha too...but its seems that good japanese writers are all dead or no one wants to translate their shit, i find more enjoyable the korean mcs lately, like the dude from praise the orc...

7. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats a Slice of life with cheats.
    Inbuilt brainwashing cheat and infinite money hack.!

SilverFeather and elengee like this.
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    False Godmode!

SilverFeather likes this.
  9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... it will be harem too..
    All the 8YO lolis, all the teens, and all the housewives will easily be brought to the nuke house with just 1 word from the MC.
    They will all be fighting or his effection despite meeting for the first time. Lol

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do i sign up :blobthinkingsmirk:

11. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    ... The issue is that these choices aren't really interesting concepts for VN. That said, I'd probably suggest "real world suddenly has game mechanics" as the basic theme, and then you can choose between Japanese route (slice-of-life enjoying all the fantasy stuff without any tension), Korean route (grind to become rich and end up saving the world), or Chinese route (take advantage of the chaos to become the strongest and conquer the world).

12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer psychopath more than weakling.:blobowoevil_horns:

13. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    Ughhhhhhhhh....the choices made me remember those shitty novels...

14. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the idea was to make a parody of em tropes and make it that it is normal untill a certain choice leads the char to either type of world, small stuff like what made emiya summon Saber by accident in Fate because he had a certain item on him, or getting transported to another world due to the intervention of truck aniki when mc jumps to save a person who was gonna be ran over
    But right now the idea is kind of unstable and might change, no it probably already changed fully... well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.