Resolved KR novels

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by 4L3Y, Dec 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 4L3Y

4L3Y Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it me or KR novels lack world builing or theme building.

Their conversations are weird too, they don't set the mood, in others novels it's like:
    "..." with a slight frown, he said
    "..."sitting in a dark corner of the pub, the man responded

There are some context between the lines of differents caracters.

Is it always this way or it just translates this way?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there are some differences between JP, CN and KR, etc... novels that is for sure, it is what make some readers attracted to one style than another :blobsweat_2:

3. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not just KR novels. In Rebirth of the Godly Prodigal, the translator overuses the term "insipidly" to a ridiculous degree. He doesn't alternate with any synonyms, so it ends up like:

Basically, it's more the fault of the translator/PR/ED, for not editing the sentences to make it flow better.

4. Er xiao jie

Er xiao jie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I think it could be both. Some authors might be having that kind of writing style, and the tl just stick with how the raw was written. But if the tl cut some lines then... :blobunsure:

5. 4L3Y

4L3Y Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's even better than what i'm talking about. With your case it's just the caracters that zero to no depth, but at least you can follow the lines, and know you said what.
    Look at this conversation between 3 friends, i just took it from a KR novel:

“Pork belly? I can buy you steaks if you want.”

“Wow! I knew you’re rich!”

“Steaks are expensive. Pork belly is just fine. When you become even more successful, you can buy us steaks then.” Yoon Chanjong replied cautiously.

“Haha, I don’t mind buying you expensive dinner.”

His friends didn’t know about Woosung’s financial situation. They didn’t know how much he made last night.

“Well, let’s go.”

They ended up at a small pork belly eatery.

“Please get us five bottles of soju and two beers.”

Park Jonghyun ordered by the time they set foot on the store and asked Woosung.

“So your temper hasn’t changed, but your skills certainly have. You need to explain yourself.”

“Hmm…Where should I begin?”

“From the beginning.”

“Let’s drink first.”

Park Jonghyun filled everyone’s glasses. After a few sips of beer, Woosung started to explain. He described how hard he studied during the winter break. He learned fast, and he developed a plugin for Visual Studio for his work. He ended up making it available for free online, and Microsoft contacted him and asked him to speak at the conference. Woosung also briefly explained how he met Jang Gwangchul.

It was an unbelievable story, but the three had no choice but to believe it. Park Jonghyun finally asked.

“So you just did it? That’s it?”

“Haha, I guess that sums it up.”

“I can’t believe that you are actually a smart person.” Park Jonghyun murmured.

“Hahaha, at least smarter than you.”

“Hey, hey! My GPA was 3.5, while yours was 3.0.”

“But the joke’s on you. I have a job, and you don’t.”

“Dammit!”

Park Jonghyun finished his drink.

6. 4L3Y

4L3Y Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see your point. But its infuriating to see what the novel could have been in the hands of another author who sets the background, mood properly and you can almost feel the inner emotions of the characters, how they shift troughout the conversation

7. Er xiao jie

Er xiao jie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ughhh I feel that too :notlikeblob:
    But there's nothing we could do either... in my case I'll just read for the sake of the interesting plot :blobjoy:

8. 4L3Y

4L3Y Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heheh, lucky you. Not gonna lie, for 90% of the typical novels i read, i can see the plot ahead pretty easily, it's just the details that interest me. But if even that is removed it's the end.
    I get surprised sometimes but not as often as when i was new to novels and reed everything i could find. I even stopped cultivation novels months ago to push my memory of the plots i know, they're still some special novels but it's becoming harder to find...Urgh

9. Zaroz

Reading List:
    Link
    I know what you mean. About 80-90% of CN novels have recycled plot elements, with minimal originality. Although to be fair, the CN authors are selling by chapter/character count, so more subplots=more chapters=more money.
    Anyways, I also got tired the plot recycling in cultivation novels too. I've taken to reading the more satirical/parodic ones instead, like Cultivation Chat Group and The Strongest System.:blob_grin: Generally, they give some amusing twists on the cliched story lines.

10. Zaroz

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the characters don't exactly have zero depth, rather the TL is sh*tty when it comes to dialog adverbs.

In the example that you gave, I think that some of the dialog's details may have been lost in translation. For instance, in most Asian languages, certain phrases or term may be used to denote more subtle information, like respect/disrespect (i.e: -san, -sama, etc), but they may get omitted by the translator.

Also, for the example you gave, that sort of dialog is relatively normal. In most cases, it seems like when the author has to write a longer conversation, the text is more focused on what they are saying rather than the whole scene, since the surroundings are relatively unimportant at this time.

11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is from God of Money. XD

I think that some KR novels just don't treat their readers like they are stupid or something so they don't bother much in putting a lot of details... or maybe they just don't know what they are actually talking about so they distract the readers with another scene to overlay their ineptness, usually in the form of cooking or eating or both. Like a full chapter worth of fully detailed cooking and eating.