LCD Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by TUSF, Oct 22, 2015.

1. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I know the LN actuallh has her be an arachne for much longer and clash with Potimas while still in that form.

Which is good because one of the biggest let downs in the web novel was being teased with her arachne form for so long only for her to evolve again into a god with a 100% humanoid form only a couple chapters later. We spent so much time with her in her other forms and yet that one is so short it might as well have not even been there.

Plus the story lacked tension after that as the only person on that entire planet able to touch her was the black dragon god. So it seems the author realized this problem as well and rewrote a fair part of the story with her as an arachne instead of a goddess. Like I think she takes in vampire girl while still an arachne.

2. Anonymousbb

Anonymousbb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree about how the lengthened time as an arachne is interesting (more so than instantly becoming a god, albeit she can assume an arachne form as a god - she just doesn't do it often).

I do wonder how they'll tackle the ascension and her rebuilding her powers after becoming a god, considering she fought Gyuri shortly after taking down Potimas. In the WN she had like...15 years or so to figure out how to use magic as a god and rebuild her powers and prepare. I wonder if she won't have to start from scratch after ascending in the LN?

3. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That might be more detailed as well,
    She ascendes in either vol 7 or 8 the character page has an ascended image attributed to vol 7, Vol 8 she is definitely ascended, and the images on the wiki show a clearly still a child Sophia. The war is not supposed to start till somewhere in vol 10.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  4. metazoxan

Reading List:
    Link
    It was such a shame really. For the entire story up to that point it was all about her growing stronger and surviving and gaining stronger titles and skills. But almost immediately after reaching her peak form she abandons the system entirely and becomes a god. A lot of the story will be more interesting with her still as an arachne rather than a god since it won't be just her being a puppet master while everyone else actually does stuff.

And yeah she could take arachne form as a god but only randomly and it never got attention besides freaking Baby Sophia out once.

As for the god thing the author might shorten the training time down but then explain in more detail how she trains. In the web novel yeah she had 15+ years to practice but the details of said training are just "I let my clones work on stuff... and learned some new tricks". I have a few ideas on how the author might justify shorter training time while still letting her able to take on a certain useless black dragon eventually.

1. Put more emphasis on her super computer network of clones. The author could put more detail into how using a million copies of her own mind lets her get thousands of years of practice done in just a few years.
    2. Have the "god book" that she gets from the system/D after attaining godhood be more detailed. No rule says she has to start from scratch as a god. Maybe D could even offer a little training for her "kin".
    3. Have her be even more outmatched by Gyuri but rely more on all her experience fighting stronger opponents to compensate.
    Either way it's not going to be that hard for the author to have Shiro become competent as a god even with less time since there was no real reason she had to have 15+ years anyway.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  5. chaos500

chaos500 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought Shiro was stronger than Gyuri;

I thought she was overestimating him thinking he was stronger than her.

6. metazoxan

Reading List:
    Link
    No he's still stronger. He's a greater god while she's still lesser. But in their fight her preparations paid off and she has more advantage than she thinks. So she is over estimating how much of an advantage he has but she's not wrong that he's stronger than her. The other problem is he's never fought anyone stronger than him so she is more experienced at fighting than he is who is used to bring unrivaled.

It's to the degree he has to go all out to try to finish the fight quickly because if he lets the fight drag out she'll eat away at him until she wins. But eroding away at him is her only way to win she can't face him in a head on fight. So if they have her become a god later than in the WN either she'll have to gain the same amount of power faster or she'll have to be even more inferior to Gyuri and have to compensate somehow.

Dr_H_16 and chaos500 like this.
  7. Temperans

Temperans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I always saw it was that Gyurie is stronger but careless and inexperienced, bruteforcing his way through problems. While Shiro is weaker but extremely careful and experienced, planning her way around problems.

She and Shiroe (Log Horizon) would be a scary pair if they were to team up. Imagine all the plans and contingencies.:blobowoevil_horns:

8. crazedreader

crazedreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That duo sounds scary. A pity our Shiraori doesn't wear glasses.:blobowoevil:

9. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    She has a ton of eyes, hidden in what appear to be human eye balls, could you imagine the Eldritch horror of glasses with the requisite number of identifiable lenses, being adjusted at once?

Edit: this question has been haunting me, the best my imagination can up with for an answer, is that it would look like diamonds with a ton of facets, and then on the glasses smirk (villain in glasses face) all those facets go flat reflective.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Dr_H_16 likes this.
  10. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd definitely recommend buying the English versions of the LNs (or whatever local language you prefer). There's a lot of new content and it helps support the author too. Volume 6 came out in English recently. That being said, it's mostly from volume 4 and onwards that the differences become large - some volumes are 100% original (though with some echoes of the WN). It's basically the same overall story - same setup and heading in exactly the same direction but sometimes the route is different, both in small ways and large ways.

Overall I'd say everything is better: characterisation, plot, development, world-building and the writing in general. It's a shame certain scenes were cut or toned down but we get a lot of great new scenes instead. For example, Shiro and Ariel's relationship is developed MUCH better. There are some bits that I wasn't entirely happy about but overall it's very good and a significant step up from the WN.

One difference that has been noted above is that Shiro spends much more time as an Arachne (which I was very happy about). Like about 3 years in-world (volumes 5-7). And when she does ascend to godhood, initially she can't use magic/magecraft at all. She's actually weaker than a normal human! Her basic physical body is actually quite weak and being an albino she's weak to sunlight and easily gets ill from travelling. It's interesting seeing Shiro dealing with being weak and not having any obvious way to gain strength (since she's separated from the System). It's quite some time before she can use magecraft at all and even longer before she can use it proficiently... but once she can use it freely she starts progressing very quickly.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  11. Ebonitacocat

Ebonitacocat Waffles

Reading List:
    Link
    I also recommend getting the light novel, though i do kinda miss the way turbo translations originally translated the initial part cause even though the English grammar and sentence structure was sometimes wonky she got all the feelings Shiro felt across 100% of the time.

12. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    The official translations can sometimes be a bit stiff and their translations for some of the skill names leaves something to be desired. That being said, I think things have gotten better.

13. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the manga, is she gonna transform to human for like rimuru from reincarnated as slim?
    If so what vol of LN?
    I kinda get turned off reading her monologs and when she talking to her other self's. It's just boring. But I think the story is good-ish.
    Thankx

14. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the previous posts then you'd have the answer to the question you just asked.

15. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    When she leaves the dungeon, she becomes an Arachne (human top spider bottom). Eventually she becomes human but that’s not for a while

16. chaos500

chaos500 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    man this is blasphemy she has become a goddess.:):):)

17. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Blasphemy! She’s always been a goddess!

chaos500 likes this.
  18. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm, there's quite a bit between her leaving the labyrinth and the Arachne evolution - there's still the Zana Horowa evolution for example.

The manga is following the LNs (mostly) and we're almost at the volume 3 epilogue (leaving the labyrinth). Zana Horowa evolution is in the 4th volume and Arachne in the 5th volume. Manga readers who have read the WN but not the LN are probably going to be shocked at what happens at the start of the 4th volume! (Looking forward to seeing it visualised... should be awesome)

Official art as Arachne (edited a bit):
    [​IMG]

Well, humanoid in form. Definitely not human though. Official art (edited a bit):
    [​IMG]

19. crazedreader

crazedreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know she got a scythe in LN....?

20. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn’t know this either. She usually just turned her hands into scythes