Discussion Lack of Depth

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by evaldai, Jun 24, 2018.

1. evaldai

evaldai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been reading a lot of light novels for the past years and although I like most of them and enjoyed the face slapping, overcoming obstacles, and rising to power it doesnt make up that most of them lack serious depth.
    Most LN have hundreds of chapters which in theory could have more than enough time to flesh out the world, the characters, and the plot but most of the plot are recycled trash. It is good if you just stumble into this world of LN but as you go on you start to crave some serious plot that keeps you engage.

But one thing Im most hoping for the authors of these LN to include is the consequences of actions and real stakes involve. So far, I never had the feeling that the MC will lose or face the consequences of his actions. Not a single LN made me feel strong emotions like genuine suprise, anger, happiness etc because you can see the plot from a mile away.

ace2002 likes this.
  2. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that's why they call them "light" novels?

3. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want character growth and plot depth, try the following: (note that only 4 are chinese, and none are xianxia)

Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
    Master of the Stars
    Bakemonogatari Series
    Mother of Learning (OEN)
    Otoko Nara Ikkokuichijou no Aruji o Mezasa Nakya ne (sort of)
    The Human Emperor (maybe?)
    Throne of Magical Arcana
    Virtual World Peerless White Emperor (sorta?)
    Worlds of Fel - Subjugation (OEN)

4. evaldai

evaldai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    light doesnt mean shit over recycled plot and tropes

5. Vudoodude

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but if one were to ask, "what does the 'light' in light novel mean? Does it mean depth and emotion-invoking complexity, or recycled plot and tropes" what do you think most people would answer?

Bad Storm, TheNewGuy, JSS and 3 others like this.
  6. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the Japanese novels that are actually published have at least some attempt at depth. Depth is what you get when editors and publishers edit out all the fluff.

Most of the webnovels, on the other hand, thrive on fluff because that is how they make their money.

7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're confusing Light Novels with Web Novels.

One is written to appeal to those that read books.

The other is a quick fix that you open up a browser everyday to read. This version needs you to continually refresh the reader's memory, especially when it gets into the hundreds of chapters and you only release like 5 pages a day of text. Not only that, these writers need to pump them out daily instead of spending time to plan them out.

8. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of these novels are pure wish fulfilment and cater towards their main target group and as the authors need to dump ... pump out chapters upon chapters to make a living (or at least earn some money) they cannot invest too much time onto the depth of their stories and everything involved - most of the authors are doing it as a hobby/second job ...

9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can hear the voice of Baby Nakiri Erina again..

10. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that the issue lies in target demographics. If the story you are reading is meant for 12 year olds, then yeah, it's not going to have depth. I am not knocking 12 year olds, when I was 12 I read dune for the first time, but this is abnormal, most just want violence, good face slapping, getting ALL the girls, etc. if what you are reading is intended for late teens it might have depth. lets face it, very few of these are intended for adults so you are not likely to find really compelling stuff. Sometimes I am surprised by a story dropping a nugget of wisdom on me, but it is so rare in this genre. as someone said, that's why they are called "light"

11. Arashi

Arashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapters/Word Count = More Money
    Money makes world go round
    if you see a quarter on the street kowtow and show your graces

12. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhu xian
    Reverend insanity
    Works of mao ni

Justcallmejust likes this.
  13. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Dude, I think you're overthinking your brain, cool it for a bit really. The "light" in light novel is literally what it means, light, easy to carry, so on and so forth. Did you even see what an actual light novel(the physical book) looks like?

Eventhough we already entered the digital age(e-book, etc.), the word light novel is kept for familiarity sakes.

Don't be confused to webnovels as lightnovels, uncultured weeb :LOL:(don't take offence).

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd separate light novels from web novels as the former tend to be much higher quality than the latter. Web novels tend to be written by strict amateurs so they're not going to have much experience writing creative fiction; particularly when it comes to longer works. As such they're probably not going to have that much in the way of the planning that you'd want for these kinds of works. I imagine that most of these books aren't planned out much beyond the initial story concept so it's not a surprise if they start fizzling out before they get too far.

15. linweiyong

linweiyong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading some physical book novel made by well known author (targeted for mature audience if possible, or classic), you may find some depth there.
    Personally I read light novel and web novel to fill my spare time as it is easy to read.

16. Vudoodude

Reading List:
    Link
    ???
    Is there some sort of miscommunication here? Or are you not understanding the point that I was making? Either way, yes I have seen a physical copy of a light novel, and yes I also know that light novels are meant to be easy to carry and so on.

17. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure you mean webnovels because you said hundreds of chapters. Try reading some actual light novels, a lot of them have a lot more depth because they've not just meant to entertain for a few minutes. They've also been proofread and edited before actually being published so they're also usually more well thought out.

18. Justcallmejust

Justcallmejust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few definitions of depth. Some might say deeper meaning u can get in the story, some will say deep emotions the novel will give, some will say the different things that make the novel unique, some will also say the realistic things that happened such as failure and consequences of some actions.

I've also been searching for some novels like that although reading could be agravating or might be tiring thus makes me want to run away to wish fullfillment, or face slapping novel.

Some that might have what u searching for are:
    Tales of the Reincarnated Lord at first it shows the realism and some deep emotions but then it will be many chapters of face slapping until finally we will see some consequences of the MC too busy faceslapping ignoring his familial relationship.

Ze Tian Ji Even the wording shows the depth of language. Filled with rage inducing feel every start of the arc and melancholic happy feeling at the end of the arc although it will soon followed by realism that some of tgat resolutions doesn't end the problem thus more and more problem come and go. I've gotta say the prologue are boring if u haven't read it yet. I would recommend skipping through until the paragraphs introducing two boys studying under the daoist.

Reincarnated as a dragon's egg Cute at first then showing more and more failure and consequences. The bad things i gotta admit are the battles that goes for some chapters full of him writhing and complaining in a first person view. I would recommend keeping through until ch 90-ish. Because that's the first conclusions to the story and what defines this story.

Gomen ne, onii-sama filled of feel triggering emotions and failure and tragedy. If some of the choice she makes seems weird. Remember she really is a little girl.

Akuyaku Reijo ni Koi wo Shite, might seems your usual at the start. Has some tragedy that actually makes me stopped reading it.

The Lazy King, seems your usual comedic fantasy at the start. End of arc will makes u thinks about things.

I think I've finished reading some feel inducing modern life JP novels that dwells in daily problem, like relationships and death of ppl. I seems to forget the names though and forgot to bookmarked it because it's finished even before i started reading it.

I'm reading History's number 1 Founder lately, from the comments seems like Renegade Immortal have many tragedies.

Well that's what summaries it I guess. Search for tragedies tag. Or just read some real novel targeted for mature audiences. Psychological tag are mostly deep.

I agree with Linweiyong suggestions. Many of the non light novel for mature audiences are downright amazing though pricy. I remember reading some psychological novel about multiple personalities, they're based from the real life if I remember right. Well, real life sometimes more interesting than novels. It's just hard to hear the story if we didn't try to ask.

kenar likes this.
  19. JSS

JSS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading some dark themed novels or manga . You will not like level of their seriousness and terrible consequences hero faces .
    Really , i tried and regretted as they are too heavy for my taste . I have to spend days to wipe them off my memory .

20. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    animal farm
    it's deep