Question Language? This is my questions.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Dark Wing, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Dark Wing

Dark Wing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is anyone learning a language? I want to learn a language but are confused about what to learn English first or go straight to Korean?

And approximately how much time will it take to learn a language fluently?

Are you learn self-taught or not?

Translated by Google Translate

2. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    It would take a long time to learn English . English is one of the hardest languages to learn .

Dark Wing and KurouDaijuji like this.
  3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English grammar is hardest, as it's more complex with rules and exceptions to those rules.

To be fluent in a language can take anywhere from at least 1 year of intense study, to 5+ years of moderate study. Learning a language is a lot of work and requires constant practice. I know people who after living in another country for a long time begin to forget their first language. So without practice you will forget the language.

4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    What is your native language?

5. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Took me 1 1/2 years or so to be fluent in English and I find Korean confusing...
    So I recommend English since more areas covers it.
    And I was home schooled in English so technically 1/2 Self-Taught and 1/2 teached.
    My native language was Chinese if that's relevant.

Riri8888 and Dark Wing like this.
  6. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d recommend English purely because it is most popular language of the Internet. You can get access to a lot of new things and communicate with more people, whereas Korean is fairly niche.

Chinese is probably pretty good for a similar reason

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  7. Dark Wing

Dark Wing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Indonesian

8. chillidude

chillidude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    english

9. SpeedyJay

SpeedyJay Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any language is hard to learn, it takes a long time, probably at least a year to get the basics down. It also depends on the effort you give and the best way to learn is to of course read and write, but also use what you learn as much as possible. Also, it depends on what you want to pursue, a translator or an editor. If your English is on a decent level, then maybe you could try learning a language and have it to a level where you won't have trouble translating a novel. Also, I'm not self-taught, I learned Chinese during elementary school for a long time and then forgot most of it because reading and writing Chinese isn't something I do daily in my life.

10. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    any language except Korean is a challenge to learn

11. NightmareSeller

NightmareSeller Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About choosing which language to learn:
    The first choice is absolutely English [Currently international language] but that's for the situation in which you don't have any particular reason that makes any other languages more approachable or useful
    Ask yourself, whether learning Korean is worth letting go of an international language or not?
    Although English is more useful, it is also the choice of most people so maybe learning Korean makes you more unique and valuable for a job in which 9 out of 10 of its employees know English
    Advice: Don't limit your choices and think carefully. For example, if you're one of the 87.2% of Muslims of your country and know basic Arabic, then you better know that it's a great choice to learn Arabic. As its both a practical language for today's world as well as its stance as the previous International language

If you are trying to estimate how long it takes to learn a new language:
    First: A Map Showing How Much Time It Takes to Learn Foreign Languages: From Easiest to Hardest
    Although FSI had made this map and it is based on native English speakers, but it's not bad to take a look at it.
    Second: Check the language tree and study different languages connections to your native language

About being self-taught
    No matter which language you're trying to learn or the age that you start learning it, you better try to reach the A2 or B1 level as a self-taught and then go for the classes to improve your language
    This may seem crazy but its benefits will show later on as you learn three times faster than other learners at your level and get the skill of increasing your vocabulary range and language skills without even trying
    First, learn the basic conversations, then throw yourself into that languages community and learn more
    Well, the above was my personal advice, and based on which type of learner you are the best method for you may be different

12. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like learning languages. Right now I'm not taking classes but I have always started learning a language by taking classes first. I usually take all available classes and then continue on my own. It's definitely harder to learn on your own but it helps if you have someone you can talk with that language.

I also recommend starting with English. Best of luck!

13. 1Sami

1Sami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently learning German as my second language and I'm fairly fluent in it. I can read most things and understand speech if I concentrate hard enough though I still talk fairly slowly.
    I recommend learning English first mainly because it's so common and there're so many languages based off it/it's based on. I think it will be easier to recognize words if you start with it first, grammar might be hard though...
    I'm learning in school as one of my required classes (we have to choose a foreign language to study for at least 2 years to graduate) but I did study on my own for a while before I started. I would use the DuoLingo app to get started, it's easy to use and the premium app doesn't cost much if you do want to upgrade- I haven't and I find it useful anyway but I know a friend who likes it better.

14. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend English, it's a lot closer to Bahasa due to the written form of Bahasa being a phonic copy of the English written system than Korean. Oriental languages has a totally different sentence structure and is a tonal system rather than the visual/verbal straight system of Bahasa or English so you get a lot more misunderstandings and you need to learn a totally different grammar.

15. Drachmarius

Drachmarius Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English is widely used in a lot of places so unless you live in it near Korea I would learn english first

16. jiang ying yue

jiang ying yue 神様!

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely english. I guess you could start Korean after english, though Korean is very different from english. I find Korean grammar way harder, english pales in comparison. But I do recommend starting english first as it is a useful language to learn.