Discussion Language

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Noche, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a random discussion. Your thoughts and experiences with langauges. Also what language do is your mother tongue? Here are mine:
    • Spanish (Mexican)- Useful for cussing and expressing myself
    • English (American) - Sounds nice and still struggling with pronounciations. Also useful since most books are in English.
    • German (Berlin?) - Sounds funny and useful for jokes (Schwarz Mann, scheiße, ficker, etc.)
    My mother tongue is Spanish and my other language is English. People sometimes tell me that I somehow switch personalities when speaking either langauge. I seem to be more aggressive when speaking in Spanish and docile when speaking in English.

2. Tsaimath

Tsaimath Otter Madness!

Reading List:
    Link
    English - probably the most useful language cause it's widespread as hell
    German - mother tongue, 'nuff said
    theoretically French- at least I learned it once upon a time...

Funny enough, by now I mostly use English to think and for most everyday use even though I live in Germany and German is my mother tongue.

3. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    English is my native language.
    I know some Japanese because I studied it before spending 15 days in Japan.

EDIT: I haven't used Japanese for over 3 years so I lost a lot of it and can't remember some hiragana and katakana either. I still know a few kanji.

4. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    English - pretty much everything that comes out of my mouth
    Spanish - technically in a college-level class but most of the time I just say "me gusta" or something equally simple
    I can't even speak my mother tongue lmao

5. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boku no Pico = Body Language

6. Crazyh3

Crazyh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English-Native language
    French-I spent my 3rd year of university in a french university.
    German/Russian-Did a GCSE in it

7. Satyryakfly

Satyryakfly Relic

Reading List:
    Link
    English is English (native speaker here) American English is a dialect, they don't even spell half our words correctly.:blobowoevil_horns:

8. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    English - Not my mother language but what comes out of my mouth the most
    Filipino - national language of my country required curriculum in school until the 1st year of my university
    Bisaya - local dialect from where i am . not to be confused with filipino though they some share some words
    weaboo - not actual japanese just weaboo words taken from animes
    edit:
    Experience
    In my day to day life i tend to speak my sentences with a combination of the top 3 languages which tends to make some people get confused
    i only speak weaboo to my anime buds where we just fool around

isekaishousetsu likes this.
  9. xilainia

xilainia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English - i can't watch a series who is not english now...
    Spanish - juste 4 words ( un dos tres tequila

And mother tongue is French XD Vive la France!

10. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    German - Sorry, Germans, for me, men would sound either gay or very angry. I love the language though. However, I've lost any proficiency because it was years ago when I studied it in high school.

Mandarin - I had a preconception that it would be language that would hurt my ears because of all the stereotype it had. When I began learning from the local Confucius Institute, I immediately fell in love. It sounded beautiful especially in songs. Plus the grammar is simple.

Japanese - Formal Japanese is making me crazy. Love the language. The vagueness is somewhat confusing but I guess that's just the culture.

Spanish - Already forgotten it. It's like Tagalog for me but in Latin grammar. Beautiful in songs.
    -----------

Mother tongue: English/Tagalog - I'm "native" in both but because I grew up in using both I have quirks in both languages.

For one, my word choice for English is not particularly stellar. I consider myself native in English because I can express myself more clearly in the language. However, since I grew up in what most of the world considers a "technically non-native English speaking country" I have somewhat a very different English than what most native speakers expect.

For Tagalog, I can speak fine but I know fewer words than the average speaker because I preferred English when I grew up. Sometimes I'm even told I sound like reading a textbook or like an old poet in Tagalog.

CyberCypher likes this.
  11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Where are you from? This is the first time I am hearing about Tagalog+english, so I am just curious.

12. isekaishousetsu

Reading List:
    Link
    The Philippines, former Chinese province (Lu-song), former Spanish Colony (Las Islas Felipinas), and former US Colony (Philippine Commonwealth).

Too many language combinations here.

MangoGuy and Seraphic like this.
  13. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, pinoy! Kamusta ang nanay mo? (And that's literally all the Tagalog I know....)

isekaishousetsu likes this.
  14. hungry_machiavellian

hungry_machiavellian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mother tongue is English and I'm mostly fluent in Spanish. I'm just starting to learn Chinese. I know what you mean about different personalities though it happens to me too when I switch to Spanish.

15. isekaishousetsu

Reading List:
    Link
    Mabuti naman. ((She's fine and good.))

That's fine. It's already surprising you know some. Haha. The Philippines is currently globally insignificant ((although that may only be my personal pessimism at my country)) so it's already a surprise if you know anything about us other than Manny Pacquiao and Trump of the East.

16. SerraStarr

SerraStarr Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English: Schooled in America
    Chinese: Raised by Chinese (learn most from Cultivation Martial Arts Chinese Movie/TV series that goes for many hours on end)
    Spanish: One of my Teachers won't speak anything but Spanish (although it kind of made sense since he was the Spanish Teacher)
    Korean: Best friend (mostly trash talk though)

Edit: I did go to Chinese school to learn, but was taken out of school because my brother and sister cut class to go to the playground instead of class. Still till this day I don't understand why I was taken out of School when I actually never went to the playground (cut class that is).

17. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I grew up in SEA (Thailand, specifically) so I had a couple of Filipino friends. They were mostly from Luzon, in any case.

18. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    English: I pronounce a lot of stuff wrong. It's because I read too many books when I was young, and never said/heard the words out loud, so I always ended up engraining the wrong pronunciations. People sometimes make fun of me because of that... :blobsweat::blobsweat::blobsweat:

French: Took it in high school because I can't roll my R's (spanish). I still struggle with R's in french (e.g. "trois" "quatre").

Chinese: Listen to it at home all the time with no problem. My speaking is terrible though. Reading is......... very slowly getting better. I don't understand the wuxia dramas that my mom watches, but the modern ones are perfectly fine.

19. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Indonesian (or something similar) as my daily conversational language.

English is the language for playing RPGs and other games, oh, and reading sciencefiction novels. Ah yeah, almost forgot, I also use this to read guidelines and medical journal. Almost forget.

Japanese is the language for playing JRPGs, reading doujins manga and novels(syosetu), anime, and other weaboo related activity. Still struggling with Kanji.

I can only understand spoken Korean, but only to the degree of what you can learn from watching drama and selfstudy. Can read hangul and spoke a bit, so I wont be lost if somehow I get transported to Korea (and in the unlikely chance North Korea conquer the world)

I had learnt several other languages, but not to the degree where I could spoke then well. At least I can speak: Where are Indonesian embassy is located?