Resolved Laptop Buying Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Wujigege, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What about a refurbished laptop with dedicated graphics?
    Since my budget has increased I am considering.
    I will use notebookcheck to pick the better processor and card

2. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Lenovos... are very fragile im a person who drops the laptop daily, its so not for me

otherwise im lazy if it goes bad i wipe out the memory, and as you saw lenovo's are well, bad at internet when they are wiped out (like very very very bad, almost msi bad but at least you can download msi one from internet)

i dont like refurbished, overheating can happen with amateur laptop makers, which = sucky
    i suggest getting a good new laptop, and not refurbished unless you know everything listed, at least companies dont lie about putting AMD instead of Nvidia to their laptops lol

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    any pre-4th gen intel core processors, if the laptop came with a dedicated (be it removable or not) graphics, the graphics will be superior to the processor's built-in ones (intel HD to intel HD4000).
    plus, dedicated graphics will comes with its own dedicated ram, so your system ram will remain at full capacity.

only starting with 4th gen did intel started introducing Iris graphic into some model of their processors, iirc. but, only Iris/Iris Pro are worthy of note. if its just HD 4600 or HD 5000, then the accompanying dedicated graphic is a definite winner.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need dedicated graphics for FM or web browsing. It can speed up photoshop but it doesn't sound like you're doing anything too heavy on that front.

One plus of dedicated graphics is that it doesn't reserve some of the system memory for graphics (so 4 GB becomes 3 with 1 GB RAM used by integrated GPU for graphics only). But it's cheaper to just buy an 8GB SO-DIMM for $30 and upgrade RAM yourself to a level where you'll never realistically run out.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a bunch.
    I prefer to buy two laptops to honest
    I will try a i5 that isn't too old and then buy a recent i3 during black Friday.
    Thanks again everyone

6. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    not sure what kind of 'refurbished' are you being offered, or find, but all of the refurbished laptop i've bought so far were of the regular big names like Dell, HP, Lenovo, NEC, Toshiba, Acer. These are the brands that usually produce business-class laptops that later were 'scrapped' when reaching 3 years or older and gets sends out of japan as refurbished laptops.

it probably just my local scene, but i don't remember seeing MSI or Asus being sold as refurbished at all. they were sold as 'used' or '2nd hand' instead.

btw, if you dropped your laptop on daily basis then i would recommend either Dell Rugged series, or Panasonic Toughbook series.
    or just put hoshi's pictures all over it. i'm sure your instinct would go overdrive and will save the laptop from falling in every way possible

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Pyoo, lighterxx and Wujigege like this.
  7. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    i got myself a surface 6, its surprisingly sturdy lol

the other laptop of mine is msi, i dont even dare to move it yet alone carry it around lol

personal experience tho apple macbook airs were amazingly sturdy bcs they were fully metal especially 2014 lineup (i might remember wrongly tbh)

I never saw msi refurbished as well, i was giving example from other brands hehe msi's usually bought as 2nd hand OR used as spare part since majority has great specs you can pull at least 5 laptops out of them

Wujigege likes this.
  8. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For secon hand laptops i usually recommend purchaing from local shop or any app that refers to local seller(or individual).
    You get to check condition and get a demo as well.

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some things to keep in mind:
    • Since you're going to use a laptop for gaming, don't get an m3 or Celeron. They are not meant for gaming, and you won't have a great experience. The newer i5's (i5 8250u, 8350u, or any 8000 series i5 with an H suffix) will age much more gracefully than their predecessors, as they have 4 physical cores. Everything that came before only had 2 physical cores. Some of the newer i5's (6000-series and up) came with hyperthreading, which gave you 4 logical cores.
    • If you're going to game, go for discrete graphics. Even a lower-end Nvidia card will outperform the integrated graphics you get on an Intel CPU. The mobile graphics from 10-series Nvidia cards are significantly better than anything that came before them. In some cases, 10-series mobile graphics can come within 10% of what their desktop equivalent can achieve.
    • If you get a laptop that comes with Windows 7 or 8, immediately upgrade it to Windows 10. Windows 7 and Windows 8 have reached their End of Life. That means Microsoft won't patch them with security or feature updates.
    • If you plan to use a gaming laptop when it's not tethered to an outlet for power, you might want to consider replacing the battery. After a few years, the battery will have deteriorated to the point where you might only get an hour or two of power from the battery.
    • If you're not getting an ultra-high-end laptop, there's not a huge difference between OEMs. Dell, HP, Lenovo, and every other manufacturer get their parts from the same handful of suppliers. The only significant difference is the laptop's shell, which is mostly an aesthetic choice, and the support you'll get from the company if your laptop is still under warranty. Unfortunately, if you're buying used, you won't have a warranty, so the support is a moot point. As such, don't let the name of the OEM play too much into your choice. Once you find a laptop you think you might want, look at reviews for that specific SKU. Sometimes, a manufacturer will release a lemon with comically poor cooling or something.
    • One $200 laptop and one $400 laptop might not be the best idea. If you're looking at used laptops, you can get a laptop one or two generations newer if you buy one $600 laptop.
    • While others have mentioned upgradability as a key feature, I don't necessarily agree. Is it worth buying a $50 memory kit to upgrade a $200 laptop? Is it worth buying a $40 SSD to upgrade a $200 laptop? Would you get a better laptop that doesn't require you to upgrade the components if you just bought a $300 laptop? The ability to upgrade those things is certainly a plus, but it shouldn't be the determining factor on if you should buy a laptop.
    I wish I had more time to address your question, but this is a busy weekend for me, and the 10 minutes it took write this is about all the time I can spare. If you find a specific laptop that you want an opinion on, feel free to message me or post a new thread on the forum.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot.
    I will take you up on your offer

11. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mobile graphic are for MSI or clevo parts right? and 10 series cost a hell tons of money, 1060 mxm cost like 200 usd alone.

did you look at GTX610m, 710m, 720m,810m, 820m? disable dedicated graphic cards from bios improve performance.
    there is some thing called back porting and microsoft back-porting for a year. basically you won't get any other functions updates other than security updates for a year.
    Just you know, currently My main power laptop is 6, years old. what determining your speed other than FPS in game is actually your internet speed and your ssd some times(rarely). GPU is for a really small groups of users. all depends on needs. And an intel iris graphic can be as good as a GT750M.
    Basically get a AX200 wireless card for 10 usd your good to go.

Edit: I just remembered my junk laptop 2 years ago, 7600u with r7 440. UHd620 is actually faster than the dedicated E7 440. And I get the meaning from the meme "remove graphic to improve performance. "

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are expensive. It's still worth noting. If you find two laptops for about the same price, but one has a 1060 and another one has a 970m, it's important to be aware of the huge performance jump between the two cards.

There are edge cases where that's true. In general, having dedicated graphics is superior to integrated for a number of reasons. Integrated graphics eats up system memory, which can be an issue if you're only running on 4 GB of RAM. Even at 8 GB, you might run into issues with paging depending on what games and other applications you're running.

As far as I know, Microsoft has only backported a couple features and security patches for Windows 7 and 8. I'm not aware of any official backporting efforts by Microsoft apart from that. There might be a backporting scene for Windows 7 and 8 from third-parties, but I wouldn't recommend an average user use unverified patches on a production system. For the average user, Windows 10 provides the most timely and relevant updates.

You can't lump all Intel integrated graphics together and compare them to a specific discrete GPU from over 6 years ago. Of course the architectural improvements in the last 6 years will allow Iris graphics from a 9000-series CPU to outperform it. Compare like with like. Intel HD Graphics 4600 was what you could find on new CPUs at the time the 750m was released. Compare the two on a benchmarking site.

Your internet speed only matters in multiplayer games. It will have no impact on a single-player game. It doesn't even have that great of an impact on most multiplayer games once you reach the minimum requirement for whatever online game you're playing. What matters most is latency for online games, which is a different thing from your actual internet speed.

There's no reason to get an AX wireless card at this point. There aren't that many APs that support it. It'll be a year or two before having an AX card will be worth the money. Currently, an AX router/AP is about $200 for an entry-level and $300 for one that's actually worth buying. If you're going to spend that much on a router/AP, but you want to only spend $200 on a laptop, you have your priorities wrong. A cheap AC WiFi card is all you need if your laptop doesn't have an integrated AC radio already.

SSDs will only improve load times for games and applications. Unless you're playing a game where you spend a lot of time on loading screens, the impact is minimal once you've actually loaded the game. Nevertheless, I agree that having an SSD for system files and frequently used applications is a very good idea.

I had to reread that. I thought you said you had an E7 440 in a laptop, which would be insane. The R7 M440 was crap. That entire generation of mobile GPUs from AMD was crap. There's a reason I didn't mention any AMD cards in my last post. Maybe the new RDNA based mobile GPUs from AMD will be good, but the GCN GPUs have never been that great on laptops.

13. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    bench mark benefit more from 16bits Gpu memories. If you get a 16 bits banthwith memories for Intergrated gpu, pretty sure they run the same as a lower end graphics cards. Which you can costomize them if you know how to modify intel graphic drivers.

For amd ryzen Gpu is easier as vega accept a bigger range of memory.

Maybe we have different definitions on mobile Gpu and cpus.
    Isn't mobile Gpu closer to their desktop parts?
    They usually have individual power cable, higher power limits with better clocks than bga counter parts?
    As long as they have enough power inputs and sufficient cooling they should be as good as desktop gpus.

Locally they are same price around 8 or 9usd. But might need to white list the wireless cards from bios.
    I spent a month doing that as my y510p only white list a few adaptor and only top rated at around 866mbps (and those cost over 40usd). Lenovo is a pain in the ass limiting the ac you can buy.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm assuming you mean the width of the memory bus. A 16-bit bus would be comically narrow. DDR4 has a 64-bit bus. With dual-channel memory, it's 128-bit. GDDR6 has a bus width of about 256-bits. System memory will always be slower than dedicated graphics memory, and not just because the bus width is different. Length of traces and a number of other factors contribute to the painfully slow transfer rate of system memory compared to dedicated graphics memory for integrated vs dedicated graphics.

You'd need to explain this a bit more. Ryzen APUs with Vega graphics do allow for more customization out-of-the-box, but you're still going to be limited by the same issues I mentioned above. There are also thermal issues with integrated graphics since they share the same silicon as the CPU. And, since integrated graphics has to exist alongside the CPU, you can't include as many shaders, ROPs, decoders, or other bells and whistles compared to a dedicated GPU.

My definition of a mobile GPU is a discrete graphics processor made for use in a laptop, like an MXM card. MXM cards are a lot smaller than a desktop AIB. Since the card is smaller, everything is closer together, which means more thermal density, which means more throttling. Until the 10-series, all Nvidia MXM cards were way worse than their equivalent desktop card. AMD's mobile cards are still worse than their desktop couterparts, but the new RDNA architecture might change that.

You can get a 2x2 ax card for $30-40 in the USA, but it won't be any better than an ac card until businesses and residences actually have 802.11ax APs. Those barely exist and are stupidly expensive. In 2-3 years, they'll come down in price, and the extra cost of an ax card will be reasonable. For now, just save $20 and get a 2x2 ac card since ac APs are pretty much everywhere right now.

EDIT:
    Here's benchmarks comparing the 970m vs the 970 and the 1070 vs the 1070 mobile.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    err,it's fine if you don't know, intel core cpu and ryzen use 8 bits ram,
    And Pre-ryzen use 4bit and 8bit ram.

I remember amd last time have 2048 bit bus. but they are 16 bits memories i think.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019