Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the Guider needs a charm type skills of a high enough level for it to evolve into a 'Path Enticement' skill? If so, maybe Kanako's [Allure] may evolve in the future. If not, then maybe [Venus] may gain a bonus?

I think that Doug is being Guided because of the 'Entertainment' part may not necessarily work only with idol activities, but all type of entertainment, with Doug is as a pyrotechnician, but since it is more of a hobby more than anything it may not Guide him as much as the others. It may also be the reason Randolph is not as eager, since he is using his skills to work as a self-employed spy.

Reman Scimitar and hillo315 like this.
  2. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, Magical Girl Idol, now where have I heard that before?

[​IMG]

"Anyone can pick a gun, but only experts can do logistics" - Can't-Remember-Who

3. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1745ct/216/

Yep. Zakkart dropped a few incautious comments around Gufadogan - like wanting to be able to get along with some pretty elf girls after seeing Bellwood surrounded by beautiful women. Or saying that it's a hard to sleep with Gufadogan always lurking around (considering how weird/scary Gufadogan's original form is) and then commenting that a if Gufadogan was a cute girl it would be better.

So yeah, it's all Bellwood's fault :blobangery::blobangery::blobangery:

Incidentally, Gufadogan has silver hair and golden eyes. Her gender is officially a "?" since she currently looks female but was apparently considered male originally. Her apparent age is about the same as Zadiris - a coincidence? I think not!

I don't remember anything like that, though maybe there's some offhand comment somewhere. Sure, it wouldn't be surprising if Zakkart found Vida to be attractive though (would be hard not to...).

Not everyone. Just those who might leak her black history to Van...

4. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    That's preciselly why I said "I think", it may have been something that was just mentioned in passing at some point, one of those realy small one line long comments during that are easily forgotten or filed away if they are funny enough. And as you said it would be hard for Vida to not be ones type...

Watch out, Reincarnator. A terrible enemy has awoken! Now I can't unsee Kanako trying to Jedi her way out to make the others forget that she even existed in Origin.

5. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Terrible enemy with a much more horrifying enemy, Reincarnators really will have it rough lol. I can see the banter between all three parties lmao.:blobrofl:

Mesaphrom likes this.
  6. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    The new chapter kinda Bland for me.

I think Vida is the most ideal woman in Lambda.
    She seemed to be like an innocent girl, an adult woman and a mature woman, all at the same time. But what was certain was that she had a gentle beauty to her. If death mage become anime i think her voice undoubtly Hayami Saori.
    Isn't alda didn't know people will transfer to Vida circle if they guided by Van?
    Isn't his member also being guided by Heinz? Well guider is most efficient and effectice when the one who have job is King/Leader of country. Van path guider is more special than other too as it's incoperate Strenthen Follower skill too not mention synergy with his all Emperor Tittle

hillo315 and Reman Scimitar like this.
  7. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    And Van by Rie Kugimiya or Aoi Yuuki or whoever can make the most androgenous voice ever.

hillo315 likes this.
  8. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    And with as little tone or inflection as possible.

Nakakure likes this.
  9. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    It shame if it's not continou.
    Borkus by Nakamura Yuichi.
    Vigaro by Tomokazu Sugita.

Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  10. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    Roddy by Joji Nakata

"Yorokobe, Tensei-sha"

hillo315 likes this.
  11. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    Darcia by Kayano Ai.
    Heinz by Matsuoka Yoshitsugu.
    Zadiris by Uchida Maaya.

Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  12. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    Bellmond by Mitsuki Saiga making a 'man' voice.
    Isla by Tanaka Atsuko
    Riley by Yuki Ono

Nakakure likes this.
  13. imaginator

imaginator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not defile George's career with some disappointment of a character.

Joking aside, I doubt Roddy be the guy who goes "Yorokobe". Voice also don't fit.

hillo315 likes this.
  14. Culaio

Culaio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a question: it was mentioned earlier in this threat that it seems Van is unable to increase stats through jobs currently but it doesnt seem to affect skills that increase stats directly(like Mana Enlargement, Enhanced Agility or Augmented Vitality), so my question is what about skills that dont directly increase stats but instead give van means to increase stats, skills like Augmented Attribute Values: Cannibalism or Bloodrule(and its earlier version), do we have any info if those skills are unaffected ?

I know those are skills so technically it should mean they are unaffected but I think that there is chance that they will be afffected by van problem because how those skills work(and they affect van's body), instead of strengthening body those skills instead function as 'tool' for van to streghten his body, so if someone stolen those skills from van(like he had some of his skills stolen before), it wouldnt affect his stats, it would only mean he cant increase his stats with those skills anymore, on other hand if someone stolen skills that directly strengthen body like Mana Enlargement, Enhanced Agility or Augmented Vitality, his stat values would decrease to levels he would have without them until he regains them somehow.

By the way its slightly off topic shouldnt Augmented Attribute Values: Cannibalism and Bloodrule skills overlap in some cases, drinking blood technically should fall under canibalism category if you drink blood from same species(in case of van vampires and dark elfs, and possibly normal elfs that are tied to dark elfs also could fit in)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    hillo315 likes this.
  15. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kinda hard to explain this, but I'll try. I don't think we're seeing things that differently though.

Here's how I think of "skills" and "jobs" on Lambda: they enhance things that are already there and have a positive feedback loop (they can enhance what's previously been enhanced). Magic exists on Origin but people there hit human limits without skills and jobs. On Lambda they can continue improving indefinitely providing they don't hit a wall (which most people do eventually). Divine protection from gods provides all sorts of additional benefits, including to growth rate.

I'd see Guidance as being similar in that it enhances what is already there and like skills, it's an incremental step and has limits in the same way that you can only start a skill at level 1. In other words, Guidance only occurs if the Guider and Guidee are close enough (mentally and physically) and moves the Guidee a step in a particular direction. It's not brainwashing which can re-write someone's mental state and beliefs - though who knows what can happen if Guidance is awakened into a superior skill.

We see some evidence of this in the fact that Ternecia could tell that Heinz was a Guider-in-the-making - guidance exists even without the skill. We were also told in the narration that Kanako had already somewhat Guided Melissa and Zadiris before she even took the Guider job. We also see this in how Van rarely Guides people who aren't already Vida believers. It would probably be possible for people to realistically aim to become a Guider if they knew how - in the same way that they can learn magic and get magic jobs. It's just much harder. Why? Because, and I'm guessing here, Guiders are basically revolutionaries. They have to be passionate about something that is essentially a new concept to the existing people - a desire for people to see something new and to work towards it. This can be both in a positive or negative sense. But it probably has to be a sufficiently new concept. It's not just about passing down existing knowledge or techniques (like a teacher) but new knowledge, techniques or beliefs. It's not about moving people up or down an existing continuum but introducing them to an entirely new one (or a new branch). This is why it's hard to get - because in a relatively static society it's hard to come up with something that's genuinely new. For the champions summoned from elsewhere, it is much easier since they're from completely different societies. The more charisma, power, social statue etc the person has the better, probably. Titles and divine protections probably help a lot too.

So how do I think Randolph could resist Guidance? Essentially by keeping himself mentally and physically distant from Kanako. If he specifically doesn't want to change at all or doesn't want to be influenced by anyone then it would probably be much harder for him to be Guided. It's possible that he might consciously do this. However, he does seem to me to be someone who is genuinely open-minded and also someone who wishes to find better answers - putting it another way, he is probably naturally open to Guidance in general. Which is why I find his situation to be interesting - he's "old and retired" in some ways but "young and flexible" in other ways. Also, even if he realises that Kanako has Guidance that doesn't necessarily mean he will try to resist it - he'll probably only resist it if he decides that it's "dangerous", which seems rather unlikely.

I'd say that Path Enticement is already partially contained within Guidance, just not as strongly. I think it does more than simply make people more susceptible to Guidance as well.

Last we saw (about 3 months ago in-world), he had the skill at level 5. He doesn't have a Path Enticement type skill. It's probably worth bearing in mind that he's had Guidance about as long as Van has and most of the time he's had a much higher profile. Van has Guidance and Path Enticement at level 10.

Indeed. Avoiding new methods in general does that to people...

Yep. It's also pretty much the main thing she's working on. For the last year she hasn't done much except idol related activities. Well, she does hit dungeons often enough and does participate in some real battles and she's actually going through jobs surprisingly quickly to be honest though. I guess it helps that she's often going to dungeons with a lot of strong people - Zadiris, Basdia, Eleanora etc (and occasionally Van). Ie they're unintentionally power-levelling her, perhaps. Having all those divine protections plus Van's magical equipment doesn't hurt either.

So one thing to watch will be how quickly she levels up her Guidance skill. The general impression I get is that the main way to level it is to Guide more people. Kanako's concerts are currently relatively small and low-key (ie closer to street performances) but once she moves to the duchy capital, she'll be able to hold regular major concerts at a city with 1m people. She'll probably be able to get major public backing from Van/Darcia and the duke too.

Culture Warrior Kanako is born!?

16. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    At the moment we don't know for certain if Van's slower rate of stat increase lately is temporary or not. His last job did include something that would explain some of it but perhaps not all of it - I would have expected Van to have shown some stat increases in the latest update if only that one job was the problem, as taking a new job and getting improved skills generally improves one's stats.

Putting it another way - keep an eye open and wait for new evidence.

17. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, so far Van has only explicitly activated [Augmented Attribute Values: Cannibalism] by eating his own demon king fragment incarnations, so it really may be more of a [Augmented Attribute Values: Self-Cannibalism] despite its name. In other words, as far as we know at the moment, Bloodrule restores health and mana and boosts stats by consuming the blood of others, and the Cannibalism abilities restore health and boost his stats when he eats parts of himself. Simple enough separation in practice, if not so much theory.

Also Van's not categorized by the system as a half-vampire, half-dark elf anymore, but a half-vampire half-goddess... so yeah, who knows what would even be considered "eating his own" by it anyway. :blobsweat_2:

18. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    God included in canibalism i mean that skill level up when Van eat other gods.

Reman Scimitar and hillo315 like this.
  19. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    They were guided a long time ago. Heinz apparently hasn't guided anyone new for quite some time.

Your ideas on Guidance are actually more or less identical to mine. However, your explanation really fleshes out the details, so thanks for explaining what I couldn't. :blobsmilehappy:

Absolutely. Guiding people without the added benefits of the skill is implied to be what unlocks Guider jobs in the first place, which is undoubtedly how Ternecia was able to tell.

Hence you either accept Guidance or you don't. The Guidee must be willing to accept Guidance, or else it has no effect. Furthermore, the Guider must be willing to guide.

Yep. We don't know if Randolph will resist Van's Guidance, but he should be at least somewhat susceptible to Kanako's Guidance, simply by virtue of being a musician. Interestingly, Guidance does not take interpersonal relationships into account, other than willingness to guide and be guided. Even though Randolph is suspicious of Kanako's exact connection to Van, that won't stop him from being guided if he technically accepts Guidance.

Actually, we can tell he's already somewhat affected by Guidance because he felt Kanako's "celebrity aura". Those affected by Van's Guidance feel incredible charisma and wonder from him, and those unaffected feel nothing whatsoever.

Agreed. It's a bonus extension to Guidance, much like how Mana Enlargement is an extension to natural mana capacity.

I wonder how Bellwood fundamentalists will react when they catch wind of what Kanako's doing.

The effect should also extend to eating dhampirs, but autocannibalism is the only readily available option that doesn't present a moral dilemma. We're not sure if "cannibalism" extends to eating souls as well, but if it does, that would be extremely helpful. The Ouroboros job would probably enhance Van's ability to grow stronger by eating himself, should he ever select it.

20. Culaio

Culaio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do gods have blood ? I dont remember if we saw gods bleed in this story universe, in greek mythology gods have blood called ichor.