Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I stated, he should attempt at least once before confronting Alda, Farmaun Gold wasn't welcomed post Alda-Vida War either, so he went back and got his punishment (100 beatings per person) from Zantark in Magic Continent.

Van actually follows that very phrase, hence why he's not acting like most people in power. Keep oneself in check is the base of the phrase.

2. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    He wants to do that, too. Sleeping comes last, though.

That doesn't make sense. Van was not trying to lower his mana output at the beginning of the story, when he snuck into town to sabotage everything with golems. If anything, his leaking mana is more likely to be the reason he is so undetectable. Plus, this is clearly a form of death attribute magic, further suggesting that the presence of death attribute mana is necessary for the effect.

True. Power corrupts if you carried away and let yourself do things you know aren't okay. But if you have a strong conscience as Van does, you can avoid that problem. And introspection. You need lots and lots of introspection.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my mind, an "evaluation" is backwards looking. So I was trying to do is discuss and analyse Bellwood's actions/attitude to date in light of the new information, particularly since I had been wrong about some of my predictions. Which is why I said nothing about recent events or made any predictions about the future.

I hope that's a bit clearer.

I'll probably have more to say about Bellwood's possible future actions once we have a better idea of what he will and won't do. That being said, yeah, he's got an awful lot to apologise for. And an apology is just the start. I also think we shouldn't discount him from being an antagonist in the future again either - given how mentally shattered he is, this seems unlikely but I'm not going to trust the guy any time soon.

Nakakure, NekoMK2, Mesaphrom and 4 others like this.
  4. Reman Scimitar

Reading List:
    Link
    Was messing with you for a bit as well as tossing in a personal opinion.

Mesaphrom and jubjub3000 like this.
  5. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, forgot to mention them being around. Kinda got my mind stuck on the semi-physical ones who presumably would have a likelihood of not being there. (Although the idea of Gufadgarn not being there is....)

Same difference really. Might make some mention of that next chapter, but I think it's entirely reasonable for Van to respond to just "demon king" anyway.

In the "overlord world," you cannot sense mana without casting a spell that allows you to see mana levels. Nobody has had reason to cast this spell as of yet, but if they did they would be in for quite a shock.

Nakakure, Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  6. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fluder, dead girl, ainz and shalltear had the ability to see people's magic power and tier level I would imagine at least bloodtear would check the power level of gufadgarn who had a physical fight with her as an equal.

I'm sure all the floor guardians have the ability to see people's magic level and tier so...

Nakakure, Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  7. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, nobody really knows about levels and stuff there, not only that, remember Ainz paranoia about strong enemies hidden around, yet he never senses anything around?

Overlord follows a lot of game rules, besides things like personality and magic being arranged, everything is game like, you need to call a key word to cast spells rather than going heavy calculations and stuff like some sort of sage. There is no Ki sense/Chi sense, or magic sense because such things were impossible to make in the game.

But they can see HP and MP bars on others to some extent, but that's something that can be programmed in a game.

Ainz only knows about the limitation of Rank 3 for people because he heard so, like when that weird guy started licking Momon's Lv8 Holy Orb, it was only found because of appraisal, not because of "I feel a strong power!". Only certain abilities can pass through that, like Fluder and Arche's ability to see the tiers, or Jet-sama's ability to see through illusions.

8. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Given the way Van treats past lives ("that's not me, I don't really care about it anymore" complete indifference), it's going to be rather heartbreaking I think if we ever get to Bellwood trying to apologize to Zakkart and the other creation-minded champions. Would put a real punctuation mark on that section in the latest chapter about how some mistakes can't be taken back, that there really isn't always a "next time." :blobcry:

Also I fear to some degree Densuke just marked Bellwood for death, or at least endless suffering, because Densuke clearly has a predilection for monster girls given the characters he's created for this story, and yet he just put these words in Bellwood's mouth:
    "In my eyes, I could only see them as creepy, and ugly."

As those adventurers who were hunting Zadiris, High Priest Gordan, Rick Paris and several others can attest, Densuke does not let those who dislike monster ladies live happy lives. :blobwoah:

Nakakure, Mesaphrom, Bla8bla and 4 others like this.
  9. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    On a different note... Heinz sure lucked out huh.

He questioned Alda's beliefs for a long time (specifically, what he had heard reported as he's not sure what Alda himself thinks) and wanted to reform things and even hoped to be able to discuss things with Alda directly to find out the truth. Then, instead of meeting Bellwood the extremist he met Bellwood the apologetic wretch and effectively got him to join his cause. I'm not sure that Bellwood will directly help out Heinz's efforts on the ground to reform things though. But at least, it should give Heinz more confidence that what he's doing is right. Though what he thinks is right and what to do about it isn't likely to be particularly dramatic.

This could make for an interesting political/social aspect. After all, right now Van is not facing any real opposition to his agenda in the Orbaume Kingdom. The powers that be want to keep the status quo but (currently) they're not united against him. Some are obviously nervous about him though.

So imagine a situation where Van is trying to woo over political bigwigs in the Orbaume Kingdom when Heinz finally returns. Heinz would probably be keen to reform things but I don't get the sense that he's going to aim for more than incremental reform. Would he publicly oppose Van's much more radical agenda though? It's hard to say right now. But at a minimum he'll be offering an alternative. That alternative would probably be more naturally attractive to the powers that be, depending on exactly what Van is offering. It's also likely that any nobles nervous about Van would likely go to Heinz for help. In other words, even if Heinz doesn't intended it to be that way he'd likely be competing with Van to some degree in the political/social aspect and also providing a central figure for opposition to gather around.

I'll be curious to see what Heinz will publicly say about what he heard from Bellwood. I doubt he's going to say: Vida was a victim, Vida's races are victims not monsters, we're guilty of 100,000 years of genocide, I heard it from Bellwood himself.

PS In comments, Densuke has said that Heinz isn't aware of what Van has recently done in the Alcheim Duchy and that he's likely to be shocked.

Korleone, Nakakure, NekoMK2 and 5 others like this.
  10. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Echo chambers tend to work like that.
    That is the country the traitor bravers were working for. The country they were enslaved in is suppposed to be somewhere in the Europe equivalent.
    https://lightnovelbastion.com/release.php?p=866

Mesaphrom, Claus, Efgbog and 3 others like this.
  11. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically... Bellwood died long ago - that's how he became an actual god after all.

Well, Van has broken people's souls for much less than what Bellwood has perpetrated. If Van does break Bellwood's soul it would certainly be deserved in comparison to previous examples. The only chance he has is that he's realised beforehand that he was wrong, so he might be more useful "alive" than "dead".

Nakakure, Mesaphrom, Claus and 4 others like this.
  12. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course he wouldn't. That would be way too direct. A little subtlety goes a long way.

*maniacal laughter* :blobowoevil_horns:

Yes, but this is the first time we see how that echo chamber formed.

Whoops. My bad. My memory has failed me again.

Mesaphrom, Claus, Efgbog and 2 others like this.
  13. Efgbog

Efgbog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine that he is going to be very shocked that all the other major gods are against Alda, will be interesting to see how he tries to justify his and Alda actions then.
    Also regarding Limpy (lol he really is limp now) I think that he might live depending on what Vida wants done to him, using Mikael as an example if someone hasn't directly hurt him he will let the people they did hurt decide on their punishment, and considering how Vida is she probably won't be that mad just give him a few slaps and tell him to go redeem himself.

Nakakure, NekoMK2, Mesaphrom and 3 others like this.
  14. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, nothing new. Densuke could even name a future chapter with Bellwood "The Idealistic Hero Who Doesn't Want to Die a Second Time".

I think this, as ever, is ultimately why Heinz is just as doomed as Alda is in any hearts and minds fight against Van. Heinz doesn't have a business franchise that provides food to impoverished and starving people that only asks businesses that use it have a heart / vaguely Vida-esque symbol somewhere on their business, and just let it be known it's a ghoul recipe. He doesn't have singing and dance shows that simply show Vida races are people too, and just happen to have lyrics you may or may not hear about tolerance and acceptance. He can't offer merchants the kind of business opportunities working with Vida races can provide to things like transportation and access to normally inaccessible areas.

Van has a modern understanding of economics, society and propaganda. Heinz is stuck in a medieval understanding, and Bellwood's understanding has generally been portrayed as limited, if he's going to help Heinz at all (doesn't sound like it?) Sure, Heinz may be very appealing to nobles as an alternative to Van... but for the general populace, what Van has to offer is probably just going to continue to be way more appealing. :blobowoevil_horns:

Korleone, Nakakure, Bla8bla and 6 others like this.
  15. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that if they are going to meet (vida/bellwood) then at some really formal place like in front of the king at some discussion on how the orbaune kingdom will continue or something, Heinz, darcia and co get into a heated discussion (Edgar remains silent out of fear due of van eating him) then they both use their descent skills summoning vida and bellwood respectively, bellwood asks for forgiveness or something, vida goes back to her pantheon and the other great gods with bellwood to figure out a punishment for him.

And the punishment is to survive (without attacking) all the great gods attacks, 1 hour of van trying to break him and something else that's trivial in comparison (maybe work in an orphanage for 50 years)

EDIT

And while vida has descended she points out that "one of these things is not like the other's"

Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  16. Reman Scimitar

Reading List:
    Link
    Vida and allied Gods to Bellwood
    Heinz and co to Darcia and co
    Edgar/Guduranis to Van (former Demon King vs current Demon God)

Location being Orbaume Election Kingdom, one helluva pay-per-view that is quite itchy in the making. :blobpopcorn_cool: (I can see a hilarious wrestle-mania moment between Van and Guduranis while everyone is watching)

Nakakure, Mesaphrom and jubjub3000 like this.
  17. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Due to Bellwood, Heinz in theory has enough info to conclude that what Alda has supposedly been promoting (ie what he hears on the ground) are Alda's actual beliefs and also that they're wrong/unfounded/unjust etc. However, his responses to date don't really show such a realisation. In other words, he still seems to see himself as an Alda believer. Maybe that'll change but I don't get the sense that he realises the full reality of the situation. Maybe the other major gods coming out directly against Alda will help him realise this.

For now, ie until I see proper evidence otherwise, I'm going to assume that he'll continue to be an Alda apologist.

Bellwood and Alda's policies directly lead to Darcia being tortured and burnt at the stake.

I agree Vida has so far been shown to be rather relaxed about what happened to her. However, Bellwood has way more to answer for than say Farmaun Gold and those on Vida's side generally hated the guy.

Korleone, Nakakure, Bla8bla and 5 others like this.
  18. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's add to that:
    Meets Selen and reads Van's letter;
    Finds out about Duke of Alchem;
    Finds out that Botin and Peria are back, and that all other goods are against Alda.

Then he meets Van and says "I'm on Alda's pacifist side". I feel like I want a shower of bird poop to fall on him.

Now that I think about it, if Heinz is not supposed to die, there is a good chance that it will be Darcia the trigger for him to be left to live, regret and atone. @_@

19. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    While it's a once in multiple life times event I don't think the seats will be full due to the sheer amount of mind rape that is guduranis and vans soul forms all greased up going at it wearing mankini's.

Nakakure, Mesaphrom, Claus and 2 others like this.
  20. Reman Scimitar

Reading List:
    Link
    Should toss Puny God and Brainless in this fight or wait down the road for them? :blobowoevil_horns:

Mesaphrom and jubjub3000 like this.