Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding Asagi meeting up with Heinz, I dunno what Asagi wrote but given that Asagi tends to be quite open and straight-forward, he'd probably say enough for Heinz to take him seriously. So I think it's reasonable to expect a meeting to go ahead at some point. (Probably a few weeks in-world...)

I'm pretty sure that Heinz would be very interested in Asagi's meeting with Van (at the start of the 9th arc) - after all, Heinz wants a peaceful talk with Van and seeing an example of someone Van "should" consider as an enemy being able to have a peaceful talk with him should give Heinz some hope that he might be able to succeed. It might also give Heinz a clue that Van really cares about the people around him and the dumbest thing to do is to attack those he cares about. I'm sure Heinz would be interested in what happened to Van in his previous life as well.

What would Asagi get out of it? Well, presumably he still wants Van to give up on Death Attribute Magic... but how does Heinz help and what motivated Asagi to contact Heinz? Presumably Asagi knows some things about Heinz and Van - it would be reasonable. However, Asagi wouldn't necessarily know that Heinz wants to make peace with Van. So it's not impossible that Asagi is contacting Heinz simply because he doesn't want Heinz to try to kill Van, or something similar. It's also possibly that this is something that someone else has suggested - eg Rodcorte or the angels, though I'd be a bit surprised if that was the case.

If Asagi hopes he can use Heinz to somehow "persuade" (ie threaten) Van to give up on Death Attribute Magic then he's being very foolish, since that would make Asagi more of a direct enemy. Maybe Asagi has some theory for how to somehow block/seal Van's Death Magic that involves Heinz though?

Bla8bla, hillo315, Mesaphrom and 4 others like this.
  2. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if other gods will also declare Heinz as enemy, getting Zantark and Botin will likely make Drawf feels not comfortable near Heinz, if it's Peria the elf one.

Bla8bla, hillo315, Claus and 2 others like this.
  3. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    Although one of the targets is a dwarf, that would be very interesting. But unreasonable.

This is a war between Alda and Vida. They are supporting Vida as the right side, but they are not needed to fight. I agree that they should remain only at the sides of the conflict, though in fact, they already did a lot by saving Legion, and powering up Van's side. They could decide to do something in case Alda himself decides to act, like not to interfere in the duel. Another thing they could do is stop the gods from Alda's factions. There are still gods from Peria, Botin, Zantark/Farmaun and Zuruwarn's on Alda's side. Suppressing them and showing who is the boss now should be a good action.

I would also expect Farmaun to try to stop Bellwood before the fight, and in case Bellwood decides to remain not thinking, then Farmaun will have to accept a fight to the death where the mass murder may be eaten.

Bla8bla, hillo315, Nakakure and 3 others like this.
  4. S.a.w..

S.a.w.. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a war that involves all of the gods. Alda has attempted to seize a superior position to the other gods. His attack on Vida shows that he believed himself to be in a superior position. Also Alda’s actions directly prevent the recovery of Lambda and subsequently the increase of faith to other gods. Botin sounds like she isn’t fond of the undead and so is on the fence, but other than her the rest of the gods should actively participate, if only to prevent excessive damage from equal forces clashing.

Bla8bla, hillo315, jubjub3000 and 2 others like this.
  5. Szmiiit

Szmiiit Lightweavers' Hemalurgist

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not wrong at all, since this bleaching isnt perfect. Otherway Van wouldnt have talents of Creation Champions. It purges memory, but not your personal potential.Othertwise soul breaking wouldn't be such a deal for Van and everyone except Rodcorte and Alda who have their own personal problems with it.

6. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, how many rank ups do you think Silky will get before thieves wise up and finally get that the Zakkart Mansion is a giant death trap? Before assassins send by big headed idiots (nobles and Alda's priests) start leveling her up again I mean.

This would tie up nicely with my "DK Frags are the 'Instinct' part of Gudu's soul materialized" theory. Then again, subordinate gods are familiars spirits made by gods, so it being a part of Gudu is not that out there.

Well, more her not agreeing with how Van does things than a inherent hatred against undead. The things is that Alda have done almost nothing to solve the actual problem, instead focusing in what would further his agenda ('restore' the world to 'how it is supposed to be') which is something that is already impossible to do, so the gods kinda just want to put him in a corner (seal him for a while) to actually start to reapir what can be repaired and let Van do his thing (world conquest technological advancement and "purification" of demon territories).

Bla8bla, Theyasser, Claus and 4 others like this.
  7. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually scracth that i forgot that Botin and Peria Send divine message to their follower

8. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Botin's message. I can be summed up as "Alda stinks, everyone else rules!".

9. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    More likely, Farmaun and Bellwood would have a nice chat as former allies and fellow atoners.

Botin seems too reasonable to declare Heinz an enemy. She would probably punish Heinz and tell him everything he's doing wrong, then move on to better things.

I think Botin dislikes the intentional generation of undead, rather than the undead themselves. I can't imagine Botin looking down on undead as subhuman monstrosities, but she doesn't like that Van is making undead left and right.

Undead are so attached to their lives that they are effectively locked out of the afterlife. This is against the natural order, and doing it deliberately on a massive scale is probably bad.

Van retained only the few most prominent quirks from the creation champions, and the fact that he retains even that much can be chalked up to his abnormal soul, his development on Earth, Origin, and Lambda, and Rodcorte's incompetence.

Asagi could retain a small part of his former self, but becoming exactly the person he was in a previous life would depend mainly on his environment as he grows up.

Botin and Vida are the most unquestionably benevolent of the surviving original gods. Bless them and their archetypes.

10. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can imagine that at some point when vans in the adventurer school, van hears that both Heinz and schneider are in town, van and darcia prepare to meet him by going to a restaurant at the town square, Heinz approaches first, takes a seat and apologizes to them both, Schneider comes along after and all four are sat there before they all use the god descent skills so their respective gods/goddess' can talk it out...

All the while the peanut gallery pisses themselves and runs for the hills expecting an apocalyptic fight to brake out

11. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I went to check out the latest TL chapter (10 days later), and am I the only one with an issue with them changing Diana, a perfectly normal and thematic name, to Deeana, that just make me thinks Dexter's Laboratory? Is like the whole Sig to Zeek thing all over again!

Bla8bla, jubjub3000, Claus and 2 others like this.
  12. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that there's another character called Diana (Heinz party member).

ダイアナ = elf priestess from Heinz's party. Pronunciation = die-anna
    ディアナ = moon colossus. Pronunciation = dee-anna

Unfortunately, both are ways of spelling "Diana".

PS I was re-reading some older chapters, and in chapter 39 there's:
    Insert majestic voice-over: And on this day, Vandalieu resolved to unite the continent in 10 years.

Korleone, KuroShiroe, Bla8bla and 6 others like this.
  13. Mesaphrom

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, right, forgot about her. Is just that half the party a such NPC that they are completely forgetable most of the time.

Well, he did say she was being too patient...

14. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    In all my summaries and on Discord I now call the bitch as Daiana and the God as Diana. The problem is that the translators made up some weird translations a long time ago, and now they can't change anymore.

2 other cases that still trigger me a little are:
    - Ryuujin to Drakonid (I heard it's a term from Warcraft? If it was from D&D I would understand, but from some game?), which made it weird now with the Maryuujin annd Kiryuujin.
    - Kyojin to Titans (He most likely took it from Shingeki no Kyojin, also known as Attack on Titan), the term was later used to talk about Talos, which was translated as the "Sun Giant", and now as Collossus. These are 3 different names that are actually only one. In fact, mythology says that Titans were Divine like entities (the whole Phanteon of Greek Gods were descendants of Titans), so calling a race as Titan, the first time I read I thought there was a reason, once I found out the japanese name, it still triggers me a little to call them Titans, but I got used to that. But I call the gods as Titans too now.

English has too many ways to pronounce a single syllable, while other languages, specially Japanese, are very strict there.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  15. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    hillo315 likes this.
  17. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Another blast from the past, chapter 69:
    https://www.lightnovelbastion.com/release.php?p=873

Regarding religious interpretation and the Orbaume Kingdom:
    I think this is one of the earliest meaningful references to the harmony faction.

Basically, religion has local differences like on Earth... because of the limits of Divine Messages (and lack of effort to work around those limits).

This is quite normal - when two countries are in conflict, small differences between them are magnified. Basically, the countries tend to drift further apart in terms of their beliefs. So given that the Amid Empire is seen as being very strong on the Alda religion, the originally more mixed Orbaume Kingdom will naturally drift further away from pure Alda belief the more the Amid Empire (and it's people) are seen as the enemy. In short, religious leanings will shift due to real world events. Due to the war, there was a shift away from Alda orthodoxy. It's not mentioned in this chapter, but Heinz pushes it another step. This doesn't make it anti-Alda as such but it's less accepting of pure Alda belief (ie it's seen as "extremist").

And then Van and Darcia turns up, specifically pushing Vida. So to some degree they're simply accelerating an existing shift, though they are taking it to the next level (being specifically anti-Alda). This also means that if the Amid Empire starts threatening the Orbaume Kingdom for religious reasons then it's unlikely to go down well and will be more likely to simply increase the movement away from Alda.

However... the flip side of this is that belief in Alda in the Amid Empire is likely to go more extreme. For example, laws and enforcement of laws against Vida races are likely to get worse. We might see it turn really nasty. I wonder if Van has made any preparations for this? He has been helping Vida races in hidden villages move to his empire but I don't remember any large scale efforts to move less hidden people. It would be hard to do, and especially hard to keep it hidden which is something that would be necessary to make it effective.

Bla8bla, ssj4maiko, hillo315 and 4 others like this.
  18. mai.rain

mai.rain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe this was what Storm of Tyrant(?) was doing before they stole all the DK pieces from the churchs of Alda and announcing they are for Vida.
    As the dark elves were hidden and relatively safe so they had a hard time to convince them to move to Talos until Van and Darcia went personally. Also the reason SoT didn't announce there support of Vida was to protect the hidden villages, so i thought they moved most of them to the Vidal Empire

19. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's mainly been Schneider's party in the Amid Empire but I phrased it that way since it's basically part of Van's plan. In the translations, we'll see a clear example of this in 2 chapters.

I dunno what percentage of the hidden villagers have been moved but yes I believe Schneider has at least visited all the ones he knows / could find, which is why they've gone on to another stage. However, moving people from hidden villages is the easiest group, so long as you want to keep it hidden. I dunno what the numbers are like but I'd guess there's a fair number of slaves and "free" Vida races in the Amid Empire. The slaves can simply be bought at least, if you have enough money. For "free" members it would be harder since you'd have to persuade them and if they don't feel a sense of danger (that things are getting worse) then they might be reluctant to move.

Why would you want to keep it quiet? So that the Amid Empire doesn't do anything to prevent it.

Bla8bla, Nakakure, ssj4maiko and 4 others like this.
  20. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    I think in this whole "Saving of Vida races in the Amid Empire", we have two cases to help Van. Schneider certainly went to look out for hidden villages and such. Not necessarily all single members were moved, some were attached to their homes, and as it happened with the Dark Elves, they weren't sure if the offer didn't had any tricks, so they left some members.

If the Amid Empire were to officially declare war (They won't), either Schneider or anyone else truly should be able to search for them again (This time with help from Van, and more important Vida, who can actually sense all of her believers) to rescue them.

The Amid Empire is in decline thanks to Eiric who is not doing a good job in governing, and focusing on Alda's missions and messages, the nations around may just have an initiative to strike them down on a Civil War, after all, while Palpapek wanted independence for Mirg and died, that doesn't mean the idea died with him. The Dwarf nation that praises Botin received their own divine message warning them Botin is Pro-Vida and Anti-Alda. Plus, that could also lead too Orbaum to attack them.

I don't remember the chapter, but Alda knows he (Amid) must not attack Orbaum, because that would lead to a conflict where the chosen heroes from his faction would end up fighting each other and eventually die, so war between the 2 nations is against his interests, his focus now is Van and pretty much only Van (While Rod needs the whole Vidal Empire to be exterminated so as to be able to leave Lambda if needed).