Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    To put it into more of what we could see from him using it, there was a technique, I can't remember which one, but Van said he could finally perfect it thanks to Sylpheed's ability. It's not that he can turn into Gas (Maybe he can? We don't really know the limits), but it made the skill broader to use.

Every time Van eats a god he gets a "Domain" embedded on his Demi-God Skill. Currently we know he has Record, Thunder & War, Giants, Dragons and Music, but these are all under one Skill

Nakakure, Bla8bla, jubjub3000 and 2 others like this.
  2. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't that all gods that looked down were turned to Van's side. It was the ones that had some degree of compatibility with Van already.

Not sure what the current situation is from Alda's point of view. IIRC Van strengthened the anti-snooping defences with high level mist or something like that.

I think we generally agree but it's hard to know where to draw the line. For example, we know that Van is pro-actively gathering ghouls from Alcheim Duchy and I think he did the same in Hartner in the past. Those ghouls would be strangers to him but by keeping them out of harms way it reduces the tension between the two groups and makes it easier for him to sell the idea that ghouls are a Vida race and should be treated as "people". He's also working with Schneider regarding Vida races in the Amid Empire - and they're almost all strangers to him. In other words, when it comes to helping "strangers" Van is not purely reactive - he can be pro-active too.

So I think he would at least consider things like what would happen to the Vida races in general in the Amid Empire in case of all-our war. Whether he'd be able to come up with a reasonable plan to mitigate such issues is another matter though.

In a scenario where tensions are rising, particularly religious tensions, and where extremists / religious leaders are increasingly in charge of the government, it's entirely possible that they could order things that are actually against the "national interest". It doesn't have to directly involve Alda issuing a message. If it did happen it would basically be "ethnic cleansing".

Bellwood has already asked Alda to stop, effectively if not literally:
    http://ncode.syosetu.com/n1745ct/381/

Alda seems to be dodging the issue by blaming the Evil God of Sinful Chains and hoping that Bellwood will recover.

Alda also seems to be willing to tell Heinz in detail why he's against Vida races but who knows what he'll say. That could actually lead to some interesting conversations with Asagi. Eg if Alda basically tells Heinz "we have to trust Rodcorte" and Asagi basically tells Heinz "never trust Rodcorte" :blobowoevil:

I'd guess there'd be a pillar when the skill is invoked.

Korleone, Nakakure, Bla8bla and 3 others like this.
  3. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say that Alda sends such message, some of the believers may actually decide to go against it in pro of keeping their slaves. In case Alda doesn't send anything but someone, maybe an extremist or whatever, decides to act, that would still lead to people protecting their own interests.

While Gods exist, there are more than one god, if Alda doesn't work, then go with another, like Botin, Peria, Zuruwarn and Ricklent, if doesn't care for Vida. Randolph would care little for gods, but when he was going to mercy kill Natania, he used Zuruwarn's name just to say something.

That's the main reason why I see such an action like attacking their own slaves as futile, they may try, but it's not like Alda's orders would be 100% fullfilled.

I was just mentioning this on Discord, Heinz knows that he has the Enemy of Vida title, and is aware that this is a title given to them by Vida herself, and he probably doesn't want that, rather, he most likely would like to dialogue and help her somehow.

And to that he is following Alda, he is basically signing up as Alda's Representative to fight against all the other Gods. Heinz thinks he is preparing for a talk about Demon King Fragments, without understanding that he is now fighting against every other god of the world.
    Heinz: "I want to talk."
    Alda: "Go forth my hero, eliminate them!"
    Vida&Others: "We have nothing to talk with Alda's Representative"
    Van: "Please die."
    Heinz: "WTF!? I didn't sign up for this!"
    Alda: "Actually you did, it was at the entrance of the dungeon, here, I have a copy of the contract: Those who awaken Bellwood are now universally recognized as Alda's Hero. See?"

Korleone, Bla8bla, Gin_Hindew and 3 others like this.
  4. Szmiiit

Szmiiit Lightweavers' Hemalurgist

Reading List:
    Link
    Van likes to help people. He did so when he was in the villages, and increasin faith in Vida wasn't a top priority back then, he just felt he should help and he did. The difference between him and stndard heroes is that he doesn't have a code, but instead follows his emotions, that are usually hero like until he decides to take vengance.
    He doesn't really have a slave system in his empire. The only slaves there belong to him and they are in state of "prisoner+test_subject" - much different from cast system of nobility>peasant>slave. If/When he puts Sieg on throne he might as well demand slavery abolishment.
    The only power stronger socially than religion is money. Slave extermination is a dangerous political move, that is sure to antagonize a lot of "big money".
    It might work under iron fist, hudge anger towards exterminated group, or a very controling religion - the first two don't apply at all, and the third won't work because Alda's religion has been weakened by last events(old gods' statements, Heinz harmonization, dying gods, awakening of Vida, and I don't belive that religion was very potent from begining, not counting the free kool-aid of racizm).
    The political status is quite the opposite. The previous Emperror is still alive, and powerhungry. If current Emperror means dumping money to the trash, suddenly nobles might realize that he "got healthy", especially considering his previous good money managment.

5. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is not that he won't help anyone, he will help those in front of him for sure, that has always happened. What I did mean is that he won't necessarily go out of his way to look for every single Vida race around the world that may be a slave or something bad to save them.

If we go by the argument that it's useful, I agree, saving villages of people is certainly more useful than saving an individual in the middle of nowhere by that argument's logic (Which is why I have been avoiding using the argument of "It's useful to save people", because then you find yourself in the trap that "Van is only doing it because it's useful, otherwise he wouldn't").

Van will help those in front of him: If he finds an isolated village, be it human or vida race, he will help if they welcome him. If he finds people being kidnapped by slave traders, he will save them. If he finds a person with no limbs that pretty much lost all hope, and spirits asked him to please, not only save the person they are attached too, but also the one who saved her, he will help them too, even if it's just 1 or 2 people. If he finds someone being abused as a slave in the middle of the street with no spirits on him condemning them for a crime, Van will probably help them too.

I have no doubt about those, but I have doubts of him going leaving what he needs to do now to go and search for every vida-race suffering "injustice".

Nakakure, Szmiiit, jubjub3000 and 2 others like this.
  6. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since bellwood is already inside of Heinz and doesn't need to "descend" I would imagine it would look something like goku going super saiyan, with golden flames, shockwaves maybe some floaty rocks and lightning for dramatic affect.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Korleone, Nakakure, Bla8bla and 4 others like this.
  7. Szmiiit

Szmiiit Lightweavers' Hemalurgist

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure that he is inside? Fitun was inside a weapon to avoid the pilar, so IDK if that would be even possible to hold a god inside without beeing under "Divine Descent".

Nakakure, hillo315 and jubjub3000 like this.
  8. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's a case of being there and not strengthening Heinz?

Maybe bellwood is training Heinz to be capable of "holding" bellwood's soul without any effects for extended periods of time (like a drug of sorts) and then when Heinz needs bellwood's power he'll tap into it and go super saiyan... or something

hillo315 likes this.
  9. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    Those were exactly my thoughts, similar to Van's "demon demon" :p, which basically activates the soul already inside of them rather than making a new connection directly to Van, I was thinking that Bellwood didn't return to Alda's God Area, and remained by Heinz side, either on his side or inside him or something, hence, there would be no need for a pilllar.

Nakakure, Bla8bla, hillo315 and 2 others like this.
  10. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just thinking but do you think van could make some sort of giant magic facility on the dark continent that gathers the world's natural mana, turns it into a giant laser while forming a portal so it can act as a giant orbital cannon while not being in orbit?

Bla8bla, Gin_Hindew and hillo315 like this.
  11. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you playing Final Fantasy 7? You know the disasters of drying up the world of its natural resources, right? Don't think Van is suicidal nor wants to destroy his own world. I guess he could go to another dimension though.

12. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why can Heinz not use an intermediary/letters? They can still "talk" without being in the same room, just not as fast unless Van sends out one of his communicaiton golem/heads
    That requires that they do not try and take the throne for themselves, which is exactly what the most of nobles would try to do. If they remove the current head, they will not give power to the previous one, but try to take it for themselves.
    The best Mush Mush can really hope for is a power struggle that weakens all sides, but that could destroy the empire as the vassal states would revolt, and enemies attack.

Nakakure, Bla8bla, Gin_Hindew and 2 others like this.
  13. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    why talk? Just kill. In our past, messengers were killed when one side wanted to declare "I don't want to talk".

Do you remember their battle? When Van was finished warming up in the fake body, he cut the useless talk and starts the fight. Talking with walking corpses adds nothing.

14. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    It could hypothetically work, but there is the issue of extreme magical contamination at the impact site and a dead zone somewhere else. Also, if it shoots mana, it'll basically just fire Hollow Cannon, which Van could do himself.

15. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    The magic would come from the dark continents overflowing supply and if possible completely converted into all the "natural" attributes in lambda so the "laser" would come down looking like a rainbow.

Inter-continental friendship cannon!!
    But can a hollow cannon make people think "holy shit we're gonna die because of the power of friendship!"

EDIT

So basically this cannon is a really good cleaner as it cleans up the dark continents mana problem and cleans up the Alda dilemma in one blast! (Maybe more than one but you get the picture)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  16. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah not mention some of them have Botin and Peria Chruch.

If Van heartless as Gurduranis, Amid Empire is Already finish. I wonder why alda group didn't think at all. Destroying all Farm or destoying All city wall including Royal City or destroying all farm and exlude 1 farm so they fight againts each other for food. destroying Dungeon works too. Van is the only one that can destroy Dungeon right

jubjub3000, Bla8bla, Claus and 2 others like this.
  17. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Two reasons why they didn't think that:

1. They're too busy trying to 'suppress' Van to even think of his actions and already relates them to Guduranis since he can crush souls and use the DK frags.

2. They don't really think much, the fact that Lambda has both horribly low populace count and the fact they're not letting the people improve their livelihoods which keeps them at dark ages level of living.

All Alda wants is to revert to the time things were great before the intervention of Guduranis, and before the people had a taste of war (which he should be held accountable for during the First Brainless-Vida War). Van is just doing what he wants and that's really not much and yes he is the only one so far we known to crush dungeons.

jubjub3000, Bla8bla and Claus like this.
  18. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New chapter!

In the first part, Vandalieu is showing how he can tame the living dead to the master of the tamer guild, who in the process is impressed, afraid and tired of the innumerable "surprises", but he does not even know that Vandalieu later plans to repeat the scene, but with insects this time.
    In the second part, Vandalieu is doing the first part of the entrance examination of the school of adventurers, where he had difficulty not to stand out. And in the second part of the entrance exam, the examiner is a redheaded elf who according to Vandalieu recalls a certain half-guided elf of blue hair that he has encountered before.

19. ssj4maiko

Reading List:
    Link
    Short and simple chapter, just with some comedy here and there.

Orlock Twice (オルロック・トワイス) is the guildmaster of the Orbaum Tamer's Guild branch, he is a good looking old man, but his personality is one that can hardly be influenced by anything... Until now, that is. Orlock is beinig presented to 10 Blood Suckers in Zakkart's Mansion by the owner himself, not only that, these zombies with fangs and all are wearing gardener wear. Van claims they were in the house, and after being tamed, he is planning on having them taking care of the garden. Orlock didn't know what face to make.

Van is answering just by Vandalieu Zakkart, the reasons is because Botin, Peria and Ricklent should be causing a lot of confusion around, so to avoid that reflecting on Van, he is using only Zakkart's name for now. Orlock confirms that they are undead, and then tells him that he has the potential to be a real noble, not just an honorary like his mother, his name will be engraved in humanity's history, that's even more surprising that the legend of Nineroad, who was the first to tame a Dragon. But the problem is that undead have a bad image.

He starts thinking about the potential of studying a new category of monsters, because they were never tameable, it was hard to study, but like this, it would be possible to know more them. Such rare tamers are usually given more credit than the ones that use only for battle. Van also suggests their work value, since they don't tire, don't sleep nor eat, so they are good as guards too.

One of the reasons of the bad image of Undead is that they can appear in towns, because the corpses are usually left in a state of being ignored and many times criminal, once they appear, it's because of bad reasons. People who had good lives rarely turn into undead, that's also a plus.

Orlock didn't notice that Van is the same person who made many guards at the city gates to faint. Orlock explains to Van everything in a very neutral stance, that it's hard for people around to accept certain tamed monsters, and that the tamer's guild actively deals with those, for example, if a Huge Boa destroys a farm in a village, they recommend no tamer to try taming those around the place, or they should move to another Duchy.

And that's why, even if he had the potential to rise in nobility with such an achievement, because it's undead, it may make things difficult instead because of religion and politics around. Although his "monsters" are accepted in Moksi and Alcrem, Orlock assumes that's the exception, not the rule. Orlock tightens around Van, who suggests the problem may be that he could be suspected of working with Evil Gods or using some magic item.

Orlock confirms in a surprised voice, but Van suggests trying some sort of command in front of the guildmaster and asks the Blood Suckers to dance, which they do, but because there are no females, the made up ball dance gets weird, some are clapping, some are doing weird poses, it's actually funny, and Orlock is impressed, not by the actions of the zombies, but by the methods used by Van to tame them. There are multiple ways to tame monsters, but these feels like they are following Van on their own will. He finds it amazing.

He was worried that he would receive complains from other places because of the undead, as the Guildmaster of the Tamer's Guild, but like this, he could understand that things were completely under control. To Van, Orlock sounded very reliable and understanding, he felt an affinity similar to Bellard from Moksi.

Orlock makes one lasts question, about their food, and at that time, Rita and Saria appears calling for the Blood Suckers to eat, they prepare the dishes on a table and all, and Orlock is surprised by the pale faces. Van tells him they are Living Armors from the mansion, victims from the past. He is still in the garden, he was going to show them later. Orlock is surprised that there are more, but Van reminds him that it would be weird if there were only 10 Blood Suckers in this big mansion.

Nobody should know the amount of victims, and nobody should also have a proper inventory of the place to learn there were no High Leg Armors or Bikini Armors inside, as such, to avoid trouble, the maids are being presented as being in-house. Maybe the Duke Jahan, as a long-lived race could have something, but that's also unlikely. Van starts explaining the dishes based on blood, but because they were out of monster blood, they are using his own, to Orlock's surprise, but he reminds Orlock that he is a Dhampir, so he heals fast.

As the blood suckers start eating while eating properly from a plate with spoons and all, they suddenly start having convulsions, Van comments that they should be ranking up, and asks if he knows what is the next step of their ranking, to which Olgock mentions Deep Blood Suckers, so not a new race, but nonetheless, he tells the maids to give the zombies more dessert as a reward.

Van asks about the maids, but Orlock had kinda forgotten, because they were too human-like, but they also need examination. Van tells him there are still vampires, Living Statue and a Zombie Dog.
    Orlock: "Are there more!?"
    Van: "Yes, Eisen, come here."
    All the monsters to review are with her. Van is not showing every monster though, otherwise, there would be too many. Van asks if he could check on the undead inside the mansion too. Orlock understood he will have a lot of work today.

And after so much mental fatigue, Orlock took a rest day in the next day, so Van decided to leave some like Pete and Quinn for after he enters the Adventurer's school.

---------

Van and Pauvina are in the Adventurer's school grounds, Pauvina is catching attention, not only nobody knows of a pig race, but she is said to have blood of Titans, and even as a child reached 3m (There are titans in the school too), people were looking for the Dhampir that couldn't be found, they thought it could be the big-sized doll that Pauvina was carrying. Yes, he was there.

The test starts, the idea is for the members to show calculation of their own numbers, like their own HP and MP in moments of tension or exercise, and if you can't, you would be recommended to go to the normal school, but to Van and Pauvina, that's so easy that it's hard not to make themselves top. They had decided on a strategy on how to deal with the test. After that it was it was a written test, and then rest. Then they will have to decided if they want to go into battle or magic soon after.

In the hall, a red haired elf called for attention, he seems to be strong, but he also looks tired and uninterested. He introduces himself as Dandolip (ダンドリップ), he will take part of the second part of the exam, he won't discriminate against or pro nobles, and welcomes the students, but Van was thinking something, Pauvina asked what it was, and Van said that the Red Haired Elf, his voice reminded him of Rudolph, the Elf Bard he met in Moksi.
    Pauvina: "Maybe... They are brothers"

-----

The name is another made up around Randolph. Dando is similar to Rando, and Rippu raplaces Rufu
    Rudolph is the name of his disguise as a bard.
    I think he named himself Ralph when he saved Natania and Juliana.

Edit: I must have been drank as I incorrectly translated Olrock name as Olgock (I don't know how I mistook ロ with ゴ.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Claus, Bla8bla, hillo315 and 5 others like this.
  20. Culaio

Culaio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if level of god/soul devour skills affect how much van was getting out of eaten soul/gods and whatever further awakening of those skills will increase how much van is getting out of "eaten" soul/gods.
    I think it would make sense if how much van can ouf souls could be changed, I mean even in real life we humans cant get everything out of food we eat and what we can eat and how much we get out of food we eat changed over time, and we even have symbiosis with bacteria that convert stuff we can "absorb" from food into something we can.

Also soul/god devour further awakening increasing how much stuff van gets out of devoured stuff would be in line with development of blood sucking skill, it started as skill that strengthened vampiric aspects of vampire(van developed vampire skills, and would develop vampire sunlight weakness if he didnt inherit resistance to sunlight from his father), next stage of this skill bloodwork let van absorb some of strength(stats) of being he drinks blood from and next stage bloodrule lets van also absorb skills(well thats what ive heard on this forum, since I cant read raws I cant confirm it, if I am not mistaken van got his mother vitality skill, not sure if he got any other skill with bloodrule)

hillo315, Nakakure and jubjub3000 like this.