Discussion Learn language chinese or japan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royal-Inquisitor, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royal-Inquisitor

Royal-Inquisitor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which language worth my time to learn japan or chinese to read novel
    and how long to learn it?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you like. I'd say Japanese, personally, since translation of JP novels in the community tends to be more scarce overall, with fewer translation projects and much slower average release speeds. Not to mention there's also manga, anime and games to consider. Being able to read Japanese would give you a looot of options.

If you like the CN novels around here, though, it's still definitely worth learning Chinese. Even the faster translated novels will take years to see a complete translation, and there's always the risk they won't make it. And there will always be more to translate than there are translators. I know there're a good few CN novels I'd love to be able to read the raws of.

3. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese, if you want to use it in a job in the future. Japanese is also an option but it will be more difficult.

4. Royal-Inquisitor

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought that chinese had many character for every word, why japanese more difficult

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a find a job kind of setting. He's talking about language and job after all.

6. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my experience i would do cn because it has one "main" written form jp has 3.

Edit: But that only written form on pronuniation etc jp is a bit "better" there are not as many areas where the spoken word change much but i do not know what you want to do with it.

Edit v2: Link for a FSI ranking

7. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    learn faster by start to writing other than reading only (around 4 years) normal
    point plus if you could converse with chinese or just go fly there (1 or 2 years all out)

Royal-Inquisitor likes this.
  8. Gyoza

Gyoza Turn Up the Eurobeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn whichever interests you more. No matter which you learn, you're going to be dedicating hundreds or thousands of hours of your life to this. Both languages are hard to acquire, so why not learn the one that you'd be more passionate about?

You could ask yourself these questions: Do you like Chinese or Japanese novels more? Do you like learning about Chinese or Japanese culture more?

Good luck

Grey_Angel and Royal-Inquisitor like this.
  9. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you consider market size and needs, China has way more potential and people than Japan.

If we take into consideration in language difficulty, both will be difficult to a native speaker of non-related languages or script groups. Say, a native English speaker for example.

In terms of reading, kanji (Chinese characters) borrowing from China at its root does not fit the Japanese language. So you have weird readings where it uses both phonetics and semantics, or a mix. Because of that, difficulty in learning Japanese is much more difficult than Chinese. Yes, it’s nice that Japanese has a syllabary, a phonetic lettering system. This will ease you into Japanese easily, but the learning curve is high due to a difficult grammar system. Chinese has, from a linguistic standpoint, no grammar. But that doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want in a sentence construction.

As you said, Chinese has many more characters than Japanese, but many more characters have only one way to read them, whereas Japanese may have two, three, or more possible ways to read a character or compound which makes Japanese more difficult than Chinese. The only complaint a beginner may have is the difficult pronunciation system of Chinese, but once you get past that it could be considered smooth sailing if you put in time and effort to learning the language. Many say Japanese is easy for pronunciation, and they are correct. Chinese tonal system is difficult for a non-native, and Japanese uses a pitch accent system which may not matter as much if you don’t hit the right pitches, but should you decide to focus on that, it could also be considered a difficult part of Japanese.

I could put in more analyzation between the two languages and scripts. This is somewhat abbreviated in explanation, but at the end of the day it’s your call to consider the pros and cons for both languages. Or you could also learn both as I have.

kenar and Royal-Inquisitor like this.
  10. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn both and become a part-time translator

11. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends what type of novels you most enjoy. If your learning it mostly to read novels then I'd suggest finding out what type of novels you enjoy most and deciding based on that. It's a more long term approach.

12. Royal-Inquisitor

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks all i think im gonna try both

13. Royal-Inquisitor

Reading List:
    Link
    but i didnt do it to become a translator

14. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make sure you stick to only one for a certain amount of time or until a certain proficiency, or you may start to mix both languages.

Royal-Inquisitor likes this.
  15. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese has no alphabet, so to learn Chinese, it's basically 90% memorization.

16. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese is probably easier to learn, at least for spoken language. The phonetics are way simpler. Written Japanese isn't a whole lot different from Chinese though and there's also some crossover.

17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ This. Be very careful, I made (or rather was exposed to) this mistake with 2 dialects of Chinese when young and even today decades later I keep mixing the 2 into a single sentence.

18. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese is harder to learn, but it will be rewarding. Chinese is the most used language in the world, and if you become proficient at it, many more opportunities would present itself to you.

19. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not both ?

20. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest Japanese but it depends on your goals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.