LCD Legend of Concubine’s Daughter Minglan

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jkmessah, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Kalmaegi

Kalmaegi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Brother He continues to be muddle headed and only strengthen his determination when its been decided the engagement has never happened. Where's GTY and his hypocritical sermons when you need him? I need him nagging Minglan.

2. SM3LLY

SM3LLY Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I knowww Ive missed him and his lectures. When will GTY return from war???

In other news Rulan's scandal is suprisingly not that bad lol for a second i was sure she was hooking up with a servant or something, though the fact that its Molan's ex-prospective husband is a nice touch. I'm really looking forward to Wang-shi's reaction its gonna be amazing!

3. Noodle Lover

Noodle Lover Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, that was just so satisfying to get so many chapters at once. Now that Rulan's romance has been discovered by Minglan it shouldn't be long before GTY makes an appearance.

So re He Hongwen, Minglan confronted him in the Peach Grove because she wanted to make it clear that she wanted to marry him too but on the condition the Cao cousin was not made his concubine? Grandma Sheng punished her for being too forward?

Later at the He mansion, Minglan just got fed up with He Hongwen not being firm with the Caos so when Grandma Sheng came into the room she signalled that she was no longer interested in the marriage by saying it was just a joke? However after He Hongwen finally declared outright he would never take Cao cousin as his concubine, Minglan thought it was a win against the Caos, she was going to forgive He Hongwen (indicate she was still interested in the marriage) but not let him know straightaway? She didn't want to let He Hongwen off so quickly?

Have I interpreted it all correctly?

I did feel sorry sorry for He Hongwen but I think he and the Caos both thought Minglan was really keen which is why they were really shocked when she backed out but not before telling He Hongwen how miserable his future wife will be if the Cao cousin became his concubine.

I still don't understand why the Cao cousin had to be He Hongwen's concubine to enjoy the He family protection. The He family already helped them out so much and it's not like they were going to stop helping? Or Caos just being greedy?

Leilacus and Kalmaegi like this.
  4. Magicwafflez

Magicwafflez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... well honestly, minglan shouldn't be weighing in on her own marriage at all. that was why she had been punished. so even if old madam sheng is fine with marrying her into the He family, minglan should say nothing about it.
    though he acted too late, imo. those old ladies won't turn around and reverse it. he had plenty of time to say such to the cao family before they met minglan today. but he didn't because he wanted her to back down and let the Cao girl in. which did not happen.

Leilacus, Sabruness and Kalmaegi like this.
  5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda agree with you, though the punishment could have been worse if Old Madam Sheng didnt tacitly agree with Minglan's view about Cao Jinxiu.

I think He Hongwen secretly wants Cao Jinxiu as a concubine but also wants to keep his rep as a proper, just and noble young man so, as you said, he wanted Minglan to agree to it so he can say 'it's not my idea but hers'. Makes him feel two-faced and a bit of an ass. After all, if he were really seriously serious about Minglan, he probably would do everything he could to get rid of Cao Jinxiu. As for his mother, well she's just useless and weak to manipulation. I think Minglan would actually suffer with a mother-in-law like that

Next few chaps ought to be interesting.

Leilacus and Kalmaegi like this.
  6. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are being a bit too harsh on he hongwen and his mother, for their times having a concubine is very normal and he hongwen being soft hearted is not a very bad thing and about he mother, consider you sibling crying her heart out infront of you for months and tell me you wouldn't be shaken at all, overall they weren't too bad of a match but they weren't just good enough. He hongwen was repeatedly shown as a sincere and kind person, his resolve just wasn't enough to keep his marriage with minglan, I felt two faced was a bit harsh of a comment. This is my take though.

Also Cao isn't even a beauty for he hongwen to want her secretly...:blobjoy:

7. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    You my good friend have softenned my opinion on Hongwen :blobjoy: tbh I was really disappointed that he wasnt resolute enough to keep away from the Cao family so he wouldnt trouble minglan but he has a soft character so ahuhu :blobjoy: I was really shipping those two at first tho they were so cute! :blob_catflip:

SM3LLY and kuu0haku like this.
  8. Eddie1080

Eddie1080 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they get married, He Hongwen may be good to Minglan. But his character is too weak and too indecisive, Minglan won't be happy after the marriage. I think it's a good thing for Cao's appearance, otherwises things will be worse if Minglan really marries with He Hongwen.

Kalmaegi likes this.
  9. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    How would you say that she would be unhappy? He hongwen stayed away from interacting with girls and stayed responsible, only because his time places high importance on family values, he was unsure on what to about his cousins...

I really don't think minglan would have had a more worse marriage than half of the CNs on this site.

Leilacus likes this.
  10. Eddie1080

Eddie1080 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the problem, He hongwen loves Minglan. But when Cao badgers with him, he doesn't know how to refuse. So you see, finally, Cao will be the his concubine. But Cao never be the one who will be settle down after the marriage. Minglan has to struggle with her about many things. This won't be a happy thing.

11. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this chapter was both frustrating but also amusing. He Hongwen finally found where he had misplaced his brain and his balls because he grew a new pair and finally put his foot down.We also got to see Minglan demolish the rampant stupidity which even goes against the cultural norms.

Unfortunately, too little too late and Minglan is very displeased with him. If he thinks that's all it will take to make up with her.... boy is he naive. Another enlightening fact is that officially, technically the Cao family shouldnt have returned to the capital according to a bit in the chapter.

Kalmaegi likes this.
  12. Anna7

Anna7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you. Sometimes what comes last is the best. So later, Minglan meets her Mr Right - Gu Tingye, her true love in her whole life.

13. Kalmaegi

Kalmaegi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GTY is back! I wonder how exactly they'll reunite, their meetings always put Minglan in such an awkward position lmao.

Magicwafflez and Alok Tinker like this.
  14. Alok Tinker

Alok Tinker Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't wait to see more, this novel is so attractive. When the romance line between Gu second and Minglan will appear? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    mmm~ more drama from the cao family...
    yanno, i almost felt really bad for hongwen, since he went behind everyone's back and told on them to his grandfather... especially since, yanno...
    but in the end he is taking her anyway, huh~

btw everyone~ remember the Shen family, minglan has an arc with them later iirc~

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    kuu0haku and Kalmaegi like this.
  16. Noodle Lover

Noodle Lover Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somebody still explain to me why He Hongwen has to marry the Cao girl? She's a relative so why can't she just stay and be looked after by the He family?

17. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    ... because. women have to marry someone, or become nuns. they need someone to support them.
    originally, minglan was asking that he treat her as a sister, i.e. get her a dowry and find her a marriage. but in light of this... no one is going to marry a barren woman. even then, hongwen wasn't gonna do it; but she fucking tried to kill herself and forced their hand. basically saying, if you don't want me I'll die.

hmph. i bet it was like when molan said as much. saying it to get her way. that said, she's not a member of the He family or the sheng family so there isn't anything they can do about it.

Her becoming hongwen's concubine is a lot less of an issue with her being barren anyway. the main issue with loving a concubine more than your wife is that your di children will be resentful and your shu children will be arrogant. but if Cao girl (lol) can't have children it doesn't matter if she's too favored or not, in a generation she won't have a son to back her up in the household.

a good example of shu children becoming arrogant is this shit happening with Molan's family, the shu son is outstanding and the di sons... aren't. but if you recall that shu son's wife had her cousin honey trap the liang 3rd young master (why his mom wanted a pretty daughter inlaw, to block that shit, and her being pregnant was why they had to rush the marriage)

i love how this series has all the different family issues somewhere~

kuu0haku and Kalmaegi like this.
  18. Anna7

Anna7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm so happy to see that Rulan finally acts as a considerate older sister for Minglan. I really hope she has a good marriage.

19. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    ... lol, uh,,, yanno, in some places it seems like they accidentally said rulan said something but they were really talking about hualan... yanno, since it was about her husband may be getting a promotion and her son / mother in law etc...
    what did she say that was considerate? the only things i remember of rulan of these chs were,
    • she pinched minglan to help her out when hualan said that son's get their smarts from their mother, (which implied her son would be stupid because she is xD) and minglan pointed out changbai, who has wangshi as a mom (also a stupid mom but very smart son). tho wangshi seemed to be flattered by this, (thinking the implication is that she is smart...?)
    • asking what gu ting yi's painting meant. (because wangshi and rulan didn't get it)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    kuu0haku likes this.
  20. Anna7

Anna7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, but I still think she did better for Minglan compared with when they were younger. Maybe my expectation for Rulan is not too high. I really think Rulan may be not smart, but she is really not a bad girl. Sometimes I even think her straightforward character is cute.

Sabruness likes this.