Let's build an island colony (Realistic RPG/Simulator)

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by lychee, Apr 21, 2018.

1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Saturday Apr-21 (Jack):
    • 6am: I disembarked from the ship and packed all my things in the 25 kg box into my backpack
    • 7am: I went to the lake and filled up my 2.5 L water sack and temporarily put down my stuff. Then I found a large rock and a large flat piece of slightly rotten driftwood and carried it to the Town Hall
    • 8am: I constructed a Sign Post (see wiki) using the large rock and driftwood in front of the Town Hall. Honestly, it is just a piece of wood sticking out of the ground and leaning on a rock. It is partially buried so it doesn't blow away.
    • 8:30am: I took out a chisel and scratched a message on the sign post: "Interested in buying fresh food on Saturdays, selling lumber -- JL"
    • 9am: Collected $100 from Town Hall
    • 9:30am: I ate breakfast (1/3 of one ration pack)
    • 10am: Began walking south along the lake shore towards the Southwest forest ("Pillar Forest")
    • Noon: Arrived at Pillar Forest. Filled water sack and drank from it using straw. Then ate lunch (1/3 of ration pack)
    • 1pm: Began setting up camp. Tied a length of paracord between two trees and pitched a tent by draping tarp. Then I put down most of my stuff.
    • 3pm: Went looking for firewood and foraged for berries. Round around two cups of something resembling raspberries and ate one small piece to test for edibility. It tasted sweet, and I didn't vomit. Will eat more later. Collected 5 kg of dry firewood and stored under tarp.
    • 4pm: Cut down one ash tree 30 cm (1 ft) in diameter and 18 m (60 ft) tall. I picked a tree that was closet to the lake and left it on the ground after cutting it down.
    • 6pm: Ate dinner (finished the remainder of ration pack) and filled all water containers.
    • 7pm: Dug a firepit and started a fire. Also found a large piece of dead wood.
    • 8pm: Began carving the dead wood into an oar. Got tired. Went to bed after putting out fire.
    Status: Healthy, a little tired, uncomfortable, food tastes bad, not hungry, plenty of water
    - Money: $100
    • Collapsible 10L Water Container - 0.1 kg (full: 10.1 kg) - http://a.co/hnciX0k
    • 2.5 L water backpack - 0.4 kg (full: 2.9 kg) - http://a.co/6eXzJDM
    • Broadaxe - 1.6 kg - (link)
    • Raspberry fruit(?) - 2 cups
    • Dry wood - 5 kg

-------------------------------------------

IC Remarks:

Ahhhh these rations taste terrible! I miss real food! I'd really like to have real food soon!! I hope a cook or something joins this island, because I'll be miserable if it keeps going like this........

On the other hand, I'm thinking of bringing these logs back to Port Town by making a raft out of them and floating it all back. I'll probably be able to sell it... probably... maybe because it will be cheaper than shipping lumber from Earth.

------------------------

OOC Remarks:

Currently preparing the list of items that the trade ship will carry on a regular basis (shipping costs free!). @Everyone Let me know if there are things you think that the trade ship should carry on a regular basis!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    leegood and Clozdark like this.
  2. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooc: should be this one...
    56541E89-8FDB-4E14-823B-1D4A13AA7B03.png
    but it will make the world enjoyment lacking

lychee likes this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me try this again-

Saturday Apr-21. Today I did:
    • 6am: Ship dock at Town Hall. I help the crew with tying the ship up. After spending awhile on the trip helping the crew and the captain. We became shipmates. I ask if the captain could drop me off at the other side of the river on the return trip. He also agree to do so.The captain and me came to an agreement. I had a HAM radio. So anytime he was in range he’d give me a call. The deal was the ship would get some fresh fruit/ vegetables from me and they would drop off the stuff I ordered nearer to me. I agree.
    • 7am: I headed to Town Hall and made sure my allowance was sent to my account. I had breakfast with the crew and ask cookie if he’d slide me a couple of sandwiches for my lunch and dinner. He remembers all the times I help out. So he readily agreed.
    • 8am: The ship disembarked and headed a little up the cost. The captain had sent the dingy to the far shore to drop me off. I wave my hand and wish the crew a safe journey.
    • 10am: A couple of hours down the cost I found a nice area next to the forest and lake. I started to set up camp.
    • 12pm: Just finish setting up camp. Tent in the trees. Water in tank. Water never tasted so good. Dry wood set to burn. Had lunch. I love chicken sandwiches. That is chicken right??
    • 1pm: After finishing my lunch, I started out a little further out along some game trails and set some traps. I headed back to the lake to set up additional fish/ crab traps.
    • 2pm: I headed to the forest to get better idea of the dangers in the immediate area. Also to clear any brush within 30 feet.
    • 4pm: After giving myself a good killing field. I also found a part of the forest had a lot of old fallen trees. Look like there was some sort of sinkhole that happen. Anyway lucky for me there was more than enough aged lumber to build a double hull canoe and maybe a cabin. Since the light started to faded I started my camp fire with the lens from my compass. I had a striker and waterproof matches, but you never know when you’ll be needing those. I have to say having so much water was a good idea.
    • 5pm: I tried to stay away from the wildlife both animals and plants. I didn’t need to get sick or worse die out here in the middle of nowhere. I had dinner and called it a day. I left a HAM radio with Town Hall in case they needed to contact me. I call the Town Hall NPC and ask him to please contact me if he hears anything I need to know and thank him for all his help. And of course all I get back is annoying grunt. I don’t see us being close friends anytime soon. Aw well.
    • 6pm: I haul up my food into the tent and went to sleep early. It was a long first day and starting tomorrow it’ll be a even longer day tomorrow.
    ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Clozdark and lychee like this.
  4. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks so much better! Remember to include an inventory status!

The only one thing is the free shipping deal you made with the captain. I’m fine with that in principle, except you should put a limit on the amount you can get for free. It’s not really a fair deal at all if the captain is covering thousands of dollars in shipping costs for what can’t be more than a few hundred dollars worth of fruits and vegetables. There’s a limit to “being nice”.

My suggestion maybe is that perhaps the captain would give you a discount based on the amount of fruit and vegetables (in kg) that you “sell” to him.

So let’s say you set a rate at $X per kg, and you can get that amount waived from your shipping fees.

I’ll let you figure out what’s fair. Trade ships come into port every 7 days... and the shipping time for newly ordered stuff is 7 days, so they can’t have been at sea for more than 7 days. Modern ships all have refrigerators though, so they’re probably able to keep cheap fruit from earth to some degree of stock.

You can estimate the number of crew members too because if I were the captain and you gave me 200 kg of fruit for just me and 5 others, that’s honestly a waste and I can’t sell it when I get back to Earth either. So setting the max amount of fruit you can sell for their consumption is important too.

Let me know what you think!

Edit: also, since you’re the first one to explore the North forest, give it a name!

leegood likes this.
  5. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that’s fine, but I was a merchant mariner in RL. I know captains like having fresh goods, especially on long voyages. The deal I wrote is not unusual.
    Quick thought. I can’t agree with your shipping time table. For several reason.
    One big point is shipping turn around. (7) days is to short. In essence you have a lease time of three days in one direction than unload one day. Then three back. That doesn’t include the tide.
    Two the profitable justification of such a quick turn over. Goods are going in, but nothing coming out.
    Third with a range of three days you would get more traffic just by tourists alone.
    Forth voyages are different than over land travel. The weather has a bigger influence.
    Where is the other side of the rift?
    What type of ship is it?
    Personally the location of the rift should be a major deterrent factor.
    It’s more than likely we’re talking about once or twice a month at the earliest.
    Lastly a colony has to have obstacles to over come, but if the trip is so close. I can see hotels being built quickly. Mostly due to the novelty of visiting another world and seeing strange exotic wonders.

But hay that’s my opinion.

lychee likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    The land up north shall be known as......

East River

I know. I know I have such awesome naming sense. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It took me forever to come up with a name.

Side note: I don’t really care what name it has. You could call it Bob for all I care.

lychee likes this.
  7. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww::aww::aww: In this case, you are much more knowledgeable about this than me.

I’m okay with increasing the shipping time to once per month or once per two weeks... it might be harder for players... but I think the game remains balanced.

As for the location of the rift: somewhere in the middle of the pacific. This island is the first body of land 3 days into the rift.

As for the ship, maybe you can recommend what type it should be?

It is probably more accurate to think of this more as a government-contracted supply ship rather than a fully commercial merchant vessel. It is meant to operate at a loss because currently it is believed that there are no valuable resources on this island that can’t already be obtained on earth.

As for why the government is using this strange method of settling the island...?

Well, let’s say that Kiribati was the country that first discovered and laid claim over the rift. The secret of how to open the rift is currently a state secret. For political reasons, Kiribati would like to establish a civilian presence on the island to legitimize their territorial claim since many countries are interested in this dimension.

However, since Kiribati is a small country with a limited budget, they are skimping on all costs possible and paying people the dirt cheap stipend of $100 per day to somehow establish a functional port/colony for them.

Current population of the island is ~5 people and probably won’t exceed 25 persons for a long time.

If you’re the person responsible for this project, what kind of ship would you send? And how frequently?

leegood likes this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. Personally a military ship, even an old one isn’t what is needed here. There are no known threats as of yet. That leaves some sort of supply ship. Since the country is trying to keep it cheap. I would lean towards a single crane feeder. With a max of (6) 40ft container double stack and a max of (4) 20ft container double stack. Since it’s in the pacific it needs to travel blue water. Not river. As long as it’s within these low estimates and going by cheapness. That’s what I see being used.

As for duration. Sailing time is roughly from Los Angeles to Hawaii maybe 4 to 5 days at best. With a second hand ship and crew. Tack on turn over. Maybe two weeks, but that would also mean no shore leave and maintenance. More realistic guess is three weeks to a month.

But hay I could be wrong.

lychee likes this.
  9. Clozdark

Reading List:
    Link
    How about by plane to the island near the border of the isekai gate island then continued by ship

lychee likes this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is the case. An even smaller ship could be used like a ferry for island hopping. The bad side is longer time table. It would definitely be a month between shipments. On the bright side you have another layer of security.

lychee likes this.
  11. Exitiumm

Exitiumm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Monday Apr-22. Today I did:
    • 6am: After waking up I got prepared to head out back towards the town. (1/2)
    • 8am: Finally I've arrived, with a short break in between I got here by the desired time and noticed the new 'stall' if you could call it that, sell food, and buy wood huh... Sadly I have a shortage of food currently, so I head towards the government office to get my daily money +$100.
    • 9am: I decided to eat my breakfast a little late today as I noticed my stomach rumbling and let out an unpleasant smile as I remembered I only have 3 days of rations left if I don't preserve them. -3 EMR Bars (1200kcal)
    • 10am: Finally after eating my food I started to head back towards my make-shift campsite, so I can proceed with my plan of potentially making a shelter.
    • 12pm: Whoo, I finally arrived, and decided to get to work by surveying for an area that was flat and dry, and was decently adequate for a shelter.
    • 1pm: Finally after an hour I found a decent enough spot that could be the area for my shelter that had a few tree stumps nearby, and began to create my temporary shelter and find materials(http://www.instructables.com/id/A-frame-Survival-Shelter/) (1/6)
    • 7pm: After finally finishing my make-shift shelter I brought the cardboard box and items over before hanging them once again on a tree and began eating my dinner and the lunch I forgot to eat. -6 EMR Bars (2400kcal) (1 Case of EMR's has been removed.)
    • 8pm: I seem to have forgotten to head to the grand lagoon to drink something as I notice the burning thirst in my throat but reckon that it is too late to get a drink and head to sleep slowly...

Status: Healthy, well rested, Slightly comfortable (Slept in a make-shift shelter), slightly hungry, very thirsty.
    - Money: $200
    • Two cases of EMR ( Emergency Food Rations ) with 9 bars each - (1.26kg)
    • Two bottles of Multivitamin Supplements - (.09kg)
    • Four life straw water purifiers - (0.181kg)
    • Two 16oz bottles of Rubbing Alcohol - (.9kg)
    • A pack of 5 lighters - (0.06kg)
    • 13" Wooden Hatchet (1kg)
    • 22oz Hammer (1kg)
    • A pack of 200 Rice Seeds - (0.02kg)
    • A book on how to farm Rice - (0.09kg)

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

lychee likes this.
  12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    So I did a rough estimation of the number of 25 km tiles there are, and the island is about ~625 km in diameter (fyi). In terms of surface area, this places the island with a surface area of less than Madagascar, but bigger than Great Britain or Honshu. :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes: ...It's a big island.

The island is located in a dimensional rift somewhere in the Pacific ocean near the island country of kiribati (it's a real country, though I've never heard of it. XD ...happens to be the poorest country in Oceana).

[​IMG]

I've made the East River Forest wiki page for you! Please fill in the wildlife section with the things that your character saw. Since you discovered the area, you get to make it up. If editing the wiki is a hassle, you can post here and someone will transfer it over.

For reference, you can check out the page that @Exitiumm made: Pillar Forest

How about we compromise and say that common goods are already stocked on Kiribati, and unusual/rare items need to be shipped from overseas to Kiribati before heading to the Island.

So what this means is that common goods arrive every half month (on the 1st and 15th), and rare goods arrive every month (on the 1st).

It only takes rare goods 30 days to arrive because the supply ship can make a radio/satellite call placing the order immediately once it crosses the rift. The item is shipped internationally to kiribati where the supply ship can pick it up. There is only one supply ship running the circuit between Kiribati and Rift Island (0.5 month or 2-3 week transit loop).

Common goods: Things you could conceivably find in a typical supermarket or Walmart (general store) in a 3rd world country.

Rare goods: Everything else (e.g. tractor, industrial solar panel array, animal livestock).

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Understood. Perfect RL reflections. Great job.

lychee likes this.
  14. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Wiki main page

Sunday Apr-22 (Jack):
    • 6am: I woke up and remembered I didn't finish removing the branches from the tree I cut down, and logs will rot if left outside on the ground like that for too long. I went to the tree and cut off the branches. Only the bottom 66% of the tree is usable log (40 ft), and I sawed this up into 8 ft logs (x5) with the following measurements (weight calculator):
      • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 393 lbs (178 kg)
      • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 329 lbs (149 kg)
      • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 274 lbs (124 kg)
      • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 219 lbs (99 kg)
      • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 113 lbs (51 kg)
      • Total: 1328 lbs (602 kg)
    • 9am: Break for breakfast (1/3 ration consumed) + water
    • 9:30am: Began rolling/dragging logs to the water. Even though it is a few hundred feet away, it is still a challenge. I needed to set up a pulley and paracord setup at a few points to get the logs past some difficult terrain.
    • 11:30am: Tied the logs together so they don't float away. Preparing to build a log raft. The benefit of leaving logs in the water is that apparently they rot slower this way, and in fact this method was historically used in the logging industry back at Earth
    • 12pm: Break for lunch (1/3 ration consumed) + water. Relaxed for a while because this work is exhausting.
    • 1pm: Found another 12" (30 cm) diameter white oak tree. This one was 72 ft (22 m) high (calculated tree height using a simple ratio using numbers from: source 1, source 2). Began chopping it down.
    • 3pm: Crash! There goes another tree. Only the bottom 66% of the tree is usable log (47 ft), and I divide this up into 8 ft logs (x5) plus some extra after removing the branches:
      • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 415 lbs
      • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 346 lbs
      • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 289 lbs
      • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 231 lbs
      • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 184 lbs
      • 7" diameter x 7 ft - log, white oak - 124 lbs
      • Total: 1589 lbs (720 kg)
    • 6pm: Since it is getting late, I decide to eat dinner (finished ration) and retire from working early today
    • 6:30pm: I go looking for some firewood. Collected 5 kg firewood.
    • 7:30pm: I continue to whittle away at the oar I was started marking yesterday.
    • 8:30pm: It's dark now and I didn't start a fire today, so I go to bed.
    Status: Healthy, quite tired but rested, uncomfortable, food tastes bad, not hungry, plenty of water
    - Money: $100
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 393 lbs (178 kg)
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 329 lbs (149 kg)
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 274 lbs (124 kg)
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 219 lbs (99 kg)
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 113 lbs (51 kg)
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 415 lbs
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 346 lbs
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 289 lbs
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 231 lbs
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 184 lbs
    • 7" diameter x 7 ft - log, white oak - 124 lbs
    • Collapsible 10L Water Container - 0.1 kg (full: 10.1 kg) - http://a.co/hnciX0k
    • 2.5 L water backpack - 0.4 kg (full: 2.9 kg) - http://a.co/6eXzJDM
    • Broadaxe - 1.6 kg - (link)
    • Raspberry fruit(?) - 2 cups
    • Dry wood - 8 kg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    leegood likes this.
  15. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminder for everyone that for some reason, it always rains on Monday and Thursday at the locations most of our characters are at on Rift Island.

If there are no complaints from anyone, we'll switch to this system on May 1st.
    • Supply ship arrives on Rift Island on the 1st and 15th of every month
    • Common goods (things that can be reasonably found in a supermarket/Walmart-like general store in a 3rd world country) can be ordered and takes 2 weeks for supplies to arrive.
    • Rare goods (everything else) can be ordered and takes 1 month to arrive. Shipping cost for rare goods are more expensive so I'll have to redo the shipping cost table.
    • Supply ship will always carry survival goods/rations in stock (no shipping or pre-ordering required).
    For the time being, we'll temporarily run with supply ships every Saturday up until that point because most of us started playing with the assumption that there would be supply ships every week. Since now this is doubling to every 2 weeks, everybody has a little time to build up their funds.

Clozdark and Cutter Masterson like this.
  16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Sunday Apr-22. Today I did:
    • 5am: I woke up and started to sharpen my knife and axe before sunrise admiring the relaxing atmosphere in watching the water at a distance.
    • 6am: I open up one of my MREs - Mountain House Granola with Milk and berries.
    • 8am: I set out to check my traps. Found nothing on the game trail, but I came across some thing else by the water. As I pulled up my fish trap I found a few crawfish. What a score. I left them there until lunch.
    • 9am: I decided to reflect on what I wanted to do. It would be interesting to build a log cabin or even a canoe. Living as a hermit was okay and all, but I’m already missing flush toilets and baths. I thought it would be an adventure of a lift time, but I would miss to many things. Like books and games.
    • 12pm: I wasted a whole day just hanging out and thinking. Well it’s lunch time. I ate Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice. I also boiled the four crawfish in my tin coffe cup and added it to the meal.
    • 2pm: I have decided that I will be heading back the next time the ship came back and order all I needed. But until then I will be exploring. My primary goal is to find the perfect spot to build my future home. I set out further into the forest.
    • 4pm: It’s about time I return back to base camp. I have to admit it look like home. Many of the trees look like the type you would find in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. except much larger trees and instead of mostly green leaves. I’ve been seeing a lot of light brown and gray. If I didn’t know better it almost shimmer a gold and silver color. I took a sip of water from my backpack and head back.
    • 8pm: Didn’t see any wildlife other than some distant birds. Had dinner Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sause. Drank a lot of water (https://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Filters-Premium-Stainless-Bundle/dp/B01MYYTC95/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524339789&sr=8-7&keywords=Pure+Berkey&th=1) and called it a night.

lychee likes this.
  17. Clozdark

Reading List:
    Link
    Sunday Apr-22 {cloudy}:
    • 3 am woken up by monkey noise,quickly i took down 2 of them with my crossbow,saw no monkey left I continued my sleep
    • 3:10 am woke up again since the shooted monkey keep screaming,so i choose to looking at those monkey direction where i shooted,one of them dead and one still alive, I really hate beach monkey since they love to stealing something,so I tried to kill the last one alive,but found out both of them is new species two tailed monkey,must be because this is an isekai world.
    • 5 am I arrived to port town to give them the government worker the monkey,they asked me to naming it but since i hate monkey,I rejected it,but I don't mind some money,so they give me $200 for two new speces monkey,the dead body can become the subject of research especially since it's the first time new species death body research they pay me for the same price for the living one,speaking about the living one,probably that monkey end up in special zoo. But they also mentioned their worth probably become less in the future.
    • 6 am continued fishing near port town and almost forgot myself for daily money,so i take my payment and eat another sashimi for this morning,not forget to take back my arrow since the government agent successfully treated the living monkey.
    • 9 am going back to my spot,i looked into the sky that telling me it going to rain soon, i move out a little further to the beach jungle where i can see four tree near each other i make a kite shaped net using fish wire that connected the four tree,put palm leaves on top of it that start looks like tent.
    • 13 pm it's not good to eating fishes all day so i set my sight at raspberries bushes,when i see a little bird eating it,then i know it's already ripe and not poisonous,eating few of it combined with dried medium fish meat is good enough
    • 14 pm i set and lining up branches and planted 1/4 of it in the dirt ,trimmed 1/5 part who bumped out to make a smooth surface and put some palm leaves to create a nice upgrade palm bed.
    • 18 pm finishing the dried medium fish meat and drinking from lifestraw as usual.
    • 19 pm I successfully relocate all my previous spot and setting up some trap.
    • 21 pm i go to sleep.
    - crossbow and 9arrow left
    - fishing set
    - wire 60 yard left
    - tacklebox fake lure set
    - salt and curing salt
    - backpack
    - dead branches x 2
    - cured medium fish x1
    - hunting knife
    - torcher
    - torch ammunition 3 bottle
    - lifestraw
    - spiked branches x7
    - net leaves tent
    - palm bed v.2
    Money $301

lychee likes this.
  18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you think you could document this in the wiki page for East River Forest?

If editing on the wiki is too much of a hassle, filling out something like this would be great. Since you discovered the area, you should set what things are common/uncommon/rare in the tile. This allows other players in the future to follow the canon you establish. Like this:
    ---------------------------

In the future, it would probably be best to limit the amount of money that you get from the NPCs. It's encouraged to trade with other players instead, especially since the NPC interactions are kind of a cheat from a roleplaying perspective.

Keep in mind that the primary goal of the government mission on the island is to establish a colony (construction). The NPCs aren't paid to conduct research or collect research samples, and the one government employee who sits in Port Town is many responsible for sitting at the radio station at all times and giving the pioneers their stipend. He isn't paid very much to do this, so anything that you sell to him must come out of his personal money (which isn't much). He already has his own supplies that he gets from the government for free as part of his job, and it's already better quality than most of the pioneers (e.g. kitchen, bed, bread, cheeses, meat etc).

tdlr; don't count on the NPCs to give you money or other stuff.

tdlr 2; also don't try to buy stuff from the NPC either. >.< It breaks the game system. Just assume that the NPC won't do it because it counts as embezzlement/bribery, and this particular NPC would always refuse.

If you find a new animal/plant species in an already explored area, please add it to the wiki page.

If it's an invented species, it would probably be a good idea to write some more about it because otherwise other players will have no idea what it is, and as this game progresses, nobody will be able to find your original post when it gets buried in the thread.

About the "common", "uncommon", "rare" labels on the wiki:

"Common" means that this animal/plant can be easily seen by 100% of people who visit the area. Only the person who discovered the area can mark an animal/plant as common. After all, if they didn't seen it the first time, it can't possibly be common right? (The exception is if it's something the original explorer didn't know how to identify)

"Uncommon" means that this animal/plant may not necessarily be seen by by everyone, but still a many players who visit the area can find it.

"Rare" means that this animal/plant is rarely seen by people/players.

19. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Random question about this (just for curiosity):

What's the range on a HAM radio? And the battery life?

To make the game more fun, I was thinking about what if the government administered one free radio to all pioneers. This way, we can create a forum thread for in-character "radio communications" between players. It would make coordinating easier since currently everyone is really spread out.

I was reading this article, and it said that the range depends on the range depends on the height of the radio tower.

[​IMG]

If this is the case, is it possible for the government compound to have a radio tower, and all communications are forwarded through the compound? Is that kind of thing even possible?

The limit of person-to-person (each 6 ft tall) seems to be 6 miles (9 km), which doesn't even span past one tile (25 km size).

However, if you add an antenna on a communication compound (e.g. 60 ft high), the range increases dramatically and becomes limited by signal power and frequency. VHF radio seems to have better range for outdoors.

The strongest hand-held radio I found was 8 watts, but I don't know exactly how much that translates into in terms of range.

20. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    5 days of heavy use before recharging is needed.
    You are correct a minimum of 2 to 3 miles from broadcast. Unless you have a repeater or just get into range.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA9Q78W/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza