Let's build an island colony (Realistic RPG/Simulator)

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by lychee, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve updated the map.
    North of Town Hall across the river. This land shall be known as East River Forest. To the Northwest of that land will be known as Bristol Forest and lastly the land to the west of that will be know as New Port.
    Unless anyone has a better name? I’m willing to change it if I really like their suggestions.
    Thanks.

2. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are your two wiki pages! Feel free to add/write whatever you want.

Bristol Forest
    New Port

Keep in mind that on the "Map" section, the directions are relative to the current tile. For instance, for Bristol Forest:
    [​IMG]

New Port is 15 km west of Bristol Forest.
    East River forest is 15 km east of Bristol Forest.
    etc.

--------------------------

@everyone

Next time you are in Port Town, you can pick up $1000 free money as well as a free radio.

Supply ship schedule:
    • Apr-28 in port, ordered goods arrive on May-15
    • May-15 in port
    • June-1 in port
    • etc.
    ———————-
    Also a little self-promotion with The Encyclopedia of Starting from Scratch! If it’s something that appeals to you, I’m looking for contributors!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Edited Wiki:
    I’ve added Redwood forest to Bristol Forest.
    Also change New Port from a forest tile to a raised up forested plateau tile.

4. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thursday Apr-26 (Heavy Rain):
    • 2am: Thunder roared, with high winds. I had a fitful night.
    • 4am: The thunder stop, but the heavy rain and high winds never stop.
    • 6am: I’ve been up since 5am, but refuse to go out in the rains. I’m hopeful that the rain will stop soon.
    • 8am: No joy. The rain and wind didn’t lighten up. I have no choice but to brave the weather. This is my last chance to find my ideal place. I have to go. I skip breakfast and pack up. I’m heading out.
    • 10am: The weather is very bad I can’t see more than 30 feet in front of me. When compared to my previous days distance travel. I probably made a half a mile, if that today. I will not give up my dream!
    • 11am: I’m running out of time.
    • 11:30am: I fell into a river. Luckily it was shallow at this end and only my knees were in the water. I tried looking across, but I can’t see the other bank. I felt so defeated. So hopeless. My dream is leaving me. There was no way I could continue. The river was to strong and wide. I just sat their in the river felling so lost.
    • 12:30pm: I better head back. As I turn to leave I glanced toward the clif face and realized of course if there is a river here. Than there is a passage through the cliffs. I got up and headed to the cliffs. As I gaze at the rock formation it look to me like granite maybe. I followed the river up and realized the rain and wind didn’t penetrate this area. I started a fire using kindling from dried sea debris. I stripped naked and left my stuff to dry. I also left my tin cup with water to heat up. Hope rekindled I chregged on. It didn’t take me long to find a secluded bay. It was a protective bay. I could see all the way around. The bay was so big it could house 3 stadiums if not more. At the far end I could see a large peninsula with a large waterfall. The strange thing was that there was a lot of fog. This is it. I choose you.
    • 1pm: My stuff was still wet, but I needed to head back or I’ll miss the boat. I ate my lunch while on the go. Right outside the wind and rain hit me again, but I didn’t feel anything. I have found my home and there isn’t anything that’s goin to stop me. I push on.
    • 2pm: The rain started to lighten up. I push on.
    • 9pm: The sun has been down for an hour, but I wanted to get as far as I could. I must have made a good 8 miles. I need to travel 12 miles to my original camp and than around 5 miles to get into range to the ships radio. I have all tomorrow and maybe the next mourning to travel 17 miles.
    • 10pm: I’m starting to trip more often with light conditions and my tiredness. I have to call it tonight. Even though the light off the water from the moon gave adequate lighting. I skip dinner and went straight to bed.
    Status: Healthy, very tired, hungry, water questionable, happy.

5. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Wiki main page

Friday Apr-27 (Jack):
    • 6am: Up at dawn because I'm worried about getting back to Port Town in time. I'm efficient as I take down my tent and paracord, and I lash the 12x 2" white oak poles that I was using as a bed to the raft.
    • 7am: Before setting out, I have a big breakfast (1/2 ration). I don't know what will happen today, and since this is my first time attempting to drive a raft, I want to make sure I'm full just in case something happens. Additionally, I find a long pole from a dead tree (easily 10 ft long) and bring that along with me. I strap everything to the raft (including myself -- I didn't want to fall overboard and find the raft drifting away), and I'm all ready to set out. My camp site from the past week is pretty much completely abandoned.
    • 8am: I launch the raft. However, I immediately run into issues because it's much harder than I imagined to paddle a large with a single short oar. The best I am able to do is spin the raft around in circles. I do not get very far.
    • 9am: I give up on using the oar, and instead switch to using the 10 ft long pole to push the raft along the lake bottom. I have to be very careful to stay close to the lake shore, because if it gets too deep, I will find myself stranded in the middle of the lake. This is very difficult (and I'm experienced), so it takes almost a full day of constant vigilance and hard work to get my raft to travel 10km north to Port Town. My pace was probably something like 1km per hour.
    • 7pm: I reach Port Town at this point, but now I need to find something to anchor the raft to.......... I end up tying the paracord to a large rock, but I feel uncomfortable about this because it doesn't seem as secure as I would like. I'm starving (and thirsty) at this point, so I wolf down the remainder of my ration (1/2) while watching the raft.
    • 7:30pm: I begin disassembling the raft and pulling what pieces I can onto shore. It's a lot of work (especially since the logs are waterlogged and heavier now), and soon it is dark.
    • 11pm: I've maybe only moved the logs 30ft away from the lake edge, but it took nearly 4 hours to move everything to a dry spot where I was confident it wouldn't get washed away by the lake. I'm extremely tired at this point, and I don't have the energy to set up a proper shelter, but thankfully the night sky is clear and starry, so I set a tarp on the lake beach and curl up under my tarp "sleeping bag".
    - Money: $100
    • 20x20 ft heavy duty tarp - 5 kg - http://a.co/h53snUZ
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 393 lbs (178 kg)
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 329 lbs (149 kg)
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 274 lbs (124 kg)
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 219 lbs (99 kg)
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 113 lbs (51 kg)
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 415 lbs
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 346 lbs
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 289 lbs
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 231 lbs
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 184 lbs
    • 7" diameter x 7 ft - log, white oak - 124 lbs
    • (x30) 4" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 47 lbs (21.3 kg)
    • (x30) 3" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 26 lbs (11.8 kg)
    • 2" x 8 ft oak poles (x24) - 24 kg, half with no bark
    • Wooden paddle - 3 kg
    • Collapsible 10L Water Container - 0.1 kg (full: 10.1 kg) - http://a.co/hnciX0k
    • 2.5 L water backpack - 0.4 kg (full: 2.9 kg) - http://a.co/6eXzJDM

6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    During what time of the day does the ship come into port? And how long is it here?

7. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Friday Apr-27 (Sunny)-
    • 4am: I have been known to need only 4 to 5 hours of sleep. And I’m proving that today. I made breakfast and pack. As soon as I was pack I started walking. I ate breakfast as I walk.
    • 12pm: I’m making great time because of three reason. One, the weather was just perfect. It was a very Goldilocks feel. Not to cold, not to hot, just right. Second, I knew the terrain. So I didn’t need to backtrack. Third, I wasn’t looking for a good forward operating base anymore. This time I wasn’t examining my surroundings. I had a mission. Get To The Ship! Nothing else matter. But I really needed a break I’ve been going non stop since 4 in the morning. I sat and had lunch.
    • 1pm: I got up and headed out again. If I had to guess I made about 8 miles. I have another 4 until I get to my original camp site.
    • 4pm: I made it to camp. I found some of my gear moved and scattered. It must have been the wildlife. All well. I repack and took a break.
    • 6pm: I headed out again. Trying to make up time.
    • 9pm: It’s getting to dark to see well. I called it quites. I drop into my sleeping bag to tired to eat dinner. I must have traveled today about 15 miles, maybe a little more. So tired.

8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Long enough that anybody who arrives at Port Town Saturday should be able to use it regardless of the time.

9. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the info.

10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Is everyone doing the same thing as me? I’m waiting for someone to post about the ship so I could work my day around it.

Side note: If no one writes. I’ll write something soon.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  11. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Wiki main page

Saturday Apr-27 (Jack):
    • 6am: When I wake up, I'm really uncomfortable. The first thing I do is find a couple of large rocks, and use them as stands above the ground to place the logs on. I do this because you're not supposed to keep logs directly on the ground or else they will rot. Ideally, it would be something like this.
    • 7:30am: Then I go to the Town Hall to pick up my weeks' worth on money. This is $600. When I'm there, they also told me that everyone is receiving $1000 bonus, so this makes me happy because all of a sudden I have $1600. They also gave me a free ham radio (everyone is also getting one for free) and explained to me how to use it, as well as the fact that I could exchange spent batteries with fresh ones for $10. (note: read the OP for the updated radio system!). My total balance at this time is $1700.
    • 8am: I go to the docks, where the supply ship was already docked. I buy the following:
    Products stocked by supply ship:
    • 2-pack 2150 kcal Mountain House Food Kits - (x10) - $449 - 9 kg
    • 1250 kcal Western Frontier MRE - (x4) - $75.40 - 2.4 kg
    • 6-pack 400 kcal Millennium energy bars - (x2) - $25.05 - 1 kg
    • 32-serving 60 kcal #10 dehydr. apple slices - (x1) - $19.53 - 0.5 kg
    • Total: $568.98 - 12.9 kg
    Then I place a custom order (shipping calculator):
    Grand Total: $1306.73​
    • 9am: After buying all these things, my remaining balance is $393.27. I return to my campsite and take inventory. The problem with the new food I bought is that I can no longer carry everything in one load. I end up deciding I'm going to leave some stuff behind and hope nobody takes it... there's like only 3 people on this island anyways, so even if something did go missing, I'd know who to ask.
    • 9:30am: Setting up a tarp tent near the pile of logs. I intend for this to be a semi-permant structure (wiki page). It looks like this. This uses up 3x 3" poles as well as several feet of paracord. I have to dig a bit to burry the poles into the ground.
    • 10:30am: I go looking for several pieces of dead wood to serve as the ground posts for a raised platform I'm going to put under the tent. I want a raised platform because it's always a bad idea to keep things on the ground (especially since it rains and stuff). What I end up doing is that I find several pieces of dead wood to form the posts, and I use 12 2" oak poles to serve as the platform.
    • 11:30am: Lunch! I heat some water and have mountain house (half ration)! Better food!!!! Yay!
    • 12:30pm: I place a sign in front to the pile of logs with their prices. I guess this is sort of like a shop. I write a sign that reads: "You can take what wood you need, but contact Jack Lumber over radio first. I expect to be paid when I'm in Port Town on the 1st or 15th. If you knock something over, please put it back."

ItemItemQuantity in stockPrice
    Black Ash Log8 ft (240 cm) x 12" (30 cm) diameter, 178 kg1$24
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 12" (30 cm) diameter, 188 kg1$24
    Black Ash Log8 ft (240 cm) x 11" (28 cm) diameter, 149 kg1$22
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 11" (28 cm) diameter, 156 kg1$22
    Black Ash Log8 ft (240 cm) x 10" (25 cm) diameter, 124 kg1$20
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 10" (25 cm) diameter, 131 kg1$20
    Black Ash Log8 ft (240 cm) x 9" (23 cm) diameter, 99 kg1$18
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 9" (23 cm) diameter, 105 kg1$18
    Black Ash Log8 ft (240 cm) x 8" (20 cm) diameter, 51 kg1$16
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 8" (20 cm) diameter, 83 kg1$16
    White Oak Log8 ft (240 cm) x 7" (18 cm) diameter, 56 kg1$14
    White Oak log8 ft (240 cm) x 4" (10 cm) diameter, 21.3 kg30$8
    White Oak log8 ft (240 cm) x 3" (8 cm) diameter, 11.8 kg27$6
    White Oak poles8 ft (240 cm) x 2" (5 cm) diameter, 2 kg12$4

• 2pm: I sit until 2pm in case somebody wants to chat to me. However, it doesn't seem like there's so many people around, so I decide to leave at this point. I start walking to Pillar Forest once again.
    • 5pm: I've arrived at my previous camp site at Pillar Forest. I spend the afternoon gathering firewood and prepping my tent and campsite again.
    • 7pm: I cut down about 6x 2" white oak saplings to serve as my bed.
    • 8pm: I start a fire, boil some water, and have remainder of mountain house meal (half ration). I also have 2 servings of apple slices. Food is soooo nice!!! I'm not on emergency rations anymore! I still have 2/3 half opened pack of emergency rations, so I finish another 1/3 of that too. This is glorious! It's like a feast!
    • 9pm: I shave the 6 poles I cut down of their bark. The poles I use as my bed, similar to what I did last time. The bark I throw into the pot of water and boil for 15 minutes, and I take it out to dry.
    • 10pm: Sleeping now so I go to bed. I'm really happy!

- Money: $393.27
    • 20x20 ft heavy duty tarp - 5 kg - http://a.co/h53snUZ
    • 2.5 L water backpack - 0.4 kg (full: 2.9 kg) - http://a.co/6eXzJDM
    • 2" diameter x 8 ft - pole, white oak (x6), no bark - used as bed
    • 0.25 kg boiled bark, hung up to dry
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 393 lbs (178 kg)
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 329 lbs (149 kg)
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 274 lbs (124 kg)
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 219 lbs (99 kg)
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, black ash - 113 lbs (51 kg)
    • 12" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 415 lbs
    • 11" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 346 lbs
    • 10" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 289 lbs
    • 9" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 231 lbs
    • 8" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 184 lbs
    • 7" diameter x 7 ft - log, white oak - 124 lbs
    • (x30) 4" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 47 lbs (21.3 kg)
    • (x27) 3" diameter x 8 ft - log, white oak - 26 lbs (11.8 kg)
    • 2" x 8 ft oak poles (x12) - 24 kg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  12. The Real Zero

The Real Zero Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Nanashi Zero

Food needs: 2500 kcal/day
    Water needs: 2 L/day
    Sleep needs: 6 hours sleep
    Hiking speed: 2.5 km per hour
    Carrying capacity: 32 kg

History: Learned everything he knows about be a survivalist from his uncle(survival expert not building expert) who took care of him as his own since he was 2.
    Personality:
    He likes being helpful but will do almost anything if it means he can survive in the end. (Don't make him angry or you'll awaken the hidden monster inside of his arm-ahem what was I saying again. Plot twist my character is a chuunibyou)
    Inventory:
    -Etekcity Portable Water Filter Filtration Straw Purifier Survival Gear 1500L (0.3kg)
    $18.99 (Amazon)
    -One case of 12; 3600 kcal emergency food bars (15kg)
    $95.80 (Amazon)
    -Black Diamond Spectre Ice Piton (2.6kg)
    $44.95 (Amazon)
    -Whetstone Cutlery The Vermillion Survival Knife and Kit with Sheath Knife (2.1kg)
    $17.88 (Amazon)
    -Sundome 4 Person Tent (3.7kg)
    $48.50 (Amazon)
    -Sleeping Bag – Envelope Lightweight Portable, Waterproof, Comfort With Compression (3.2kg)
    $69.99 (Amazon)
    -2-in-1 First Aid Kit (120 Piece) + Bonus 32-Piece Mini First Aid Kit: Compact (2.8kg)
    $27.95 (Amazon)
    Total Weight: 29.7kg/32kg
    Total Cost: $324.06(+$150 S&H)/$1500
    Money Remaining:$1025.94
    P.S.
    I was a little lazy with the calculations so I just estimated the shipping price so if someone could confirm that for me please and thank you.

lychee likes this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    On your first day, there's no shipping because you brought it with you on the boat!

Good luck and have fun!!

14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to the island!

15. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, lychee
    Question?
    Does the rift between worlds allow communication? Cell? Internet?
    Does Kiribati have tool rentals or equipment rentals?
    Does Kiribati have a Home Depo or Walmart equivalent?
    Since Kiribati isn’t to far. Is it possible to rent a barge?

16. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Rift cell/internet communication is no~ The ship has to cross the rift to get back into Earth network.

For tool rentals/equipment rentals... I dunno! What do you think? I'm going to say it's okay to rent (you have to find actual rental prices online), but count it as if the equipment is coming from US mainland (meaning, charge it as a "rare" shipping item). This applies to the barge rental too except I have no idea what kind of delivery/shipment fee that entails.

For the home depot/walmart equivalent -- for the sake of this game, pretend it's a yes for the smaller things (e.g. hardware)! Those would be common items! But for large things like tractors, try to keep that in the "rare" section.

17. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks.
    Sorry, another question. Do we need to travel back to Earth to order stuff? Or does the ship/ government order the goods and we pay for it here?

18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    The ship/government orders it and we pay for it here.

19. abcalltheway

abcalltheway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it only me that would bring with me from kiribati a shipping container and some tarp and fire starting kit + food and a water barrel? i mean i found shipping containers like 20 feet ones for around 1200 dollars, and that's in the US, this is Kiribati where shit is not expensive so maybe 1000 dollars or less for a used shipping container, only thing needed then later on is some insulation like goldfiber and stuff. Ez safe home :p ofc a axe could be good and other equipment but you only need to survive for like a week untill more stuff arrives, or the shipping container would maybe arrive next week right? so you would only need to make a remporary shelter with the tarp udner some trees and get a fire + food and es life lul

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  20. abcalltheway

abcalltheway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laos the thing is with the kg limit and stuff, it sohuld be higher depending on if you have as an example a backpack or something, maybe one in your back one in the front for balancing, so a limit for example 32 kg could be ones 2 arms effectively right? like in general 25 kg an arm i normal, so in total around 50 kg you should be able to lift with your arms and maybe help with your back, (this is from the perspective of a male so cant say for females or in general shorter / weaker people) ofc 25 is like normally the "max" so if youare able to carry with you 32 kg for a period of maybe 5-10 mins before pauses that owuild be good.

Cutter Masterson likes this.