Recommendations LF Modern Values/Beliefs/Habits/Common Sense

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for novels including fanfics where the MC is in another world or in another time period and shows modern values/beliefs such as gender equality, labor rights, human rights, religious freedom, information privacy, the scientific method, etc. and/or modern habits such as certain manners and behaviors of m-time culture like scheduling things.

Or like things modern slang/expression and hand gestures or signs. Or comment knowledge/sense things like hygiene, nutrition, medicine, proper safety measures, lead is bad, bloodletting is bad, mental health, etc. (already read Parallel World Pharmacy)

I just really like to see all the small and large differences a modern person would display compared to those of a less advanced/civilized society.

I also really want the MC to NOT have levels of ethnocentrism that result in the "My values/culture is better than yours, your culture/beliefs automatically makes me a better person than you, I'm superior and so will impose my values on to you." kind of feeling and mindset. Of course sometimes it is true that they are better, so they should understand that, I just rather they be more self-aware and not have it get to their head.

I also want there to be cultural relativism where the MC is aware of his circumstances and has an understanding of the culture. That means some acceptance and adaptation of the culture, however, that doesn't necessarily mean complete tolarence of it. Immoral things are still immoral and just cause you understand it and the circumstances that result it doesn't mean you should just start being okay with it or let go of your feelings on it. It's about viewing things with objectivity, the limitation of bias on mainly things that are strictly culturally different, and developing a thorough understanding before passing judgement. There needs a be a healthy balance. I always found it distasteful when MCs are so quick to just brush off the horror of slavery even to the point of buying a slave within the first few days of their start. I wouldn't say the all accept or tolerate it, more that many MCs don't display any or only minimal amount of reaction to it and just kinda brush it off or adapt to quickly to the point of indifference.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh... I have nothing that covers everything you spoke of simultaneously, and nothing focusing on culture and morals differences.

Sengoku Komachi Kurotan - a lot of modern knowledge + some culture things. I suggest going for manga, it's translated further and imo better than novel.
    Release that Witch - shitload of modern knowledge, abolishing slavery and feudalism. It's chinese, didn't got too much totalitarian though.

Yeah, things like these are more likely to be a foundation of college thesis rather than a light novel.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. SaladSoul

SaladSoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, modern governments don't show any care for basic human rights, leave alone information privacy (hello NSA) or religious freedom ( hello China and Saudi Arabia) or the scientific method (welcome back measles) leave alone ancient worlds.
    But I remember RTW had such a protagonist (which is why it got banned lol) and if I'm not mistaken, Otherworld Nation Founding Chronicles did too to some extent

5. apsisodia

apsisodia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a fast wear arc sorta like this. I cannot think of the name of the novel right now though. It was a female mc face slapping novel. The arc different though. It had a primitive world with beast man (?) culture. A Reincarnator/transmigrator woman came to a village and started making it ‘better’. However her ‘better’ leads to the end of this world. So the world itself asks for help from mc to stop the Reincarnator from making everything ‘better’.

7. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll have you know many modern governments show way more care than they actually have!

Wujigege likes this.
  8. starblade

starblade Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A hero's war and to a lesser extent Savage Divinity has some of that on Royal Road

The only other thing I could think of the novel series 1632 by Eric Flint.

9. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I got the impression that the novel was die hard atheist.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Who is they?

11. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it not the standard for the government to pretend to care?

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese novels are automatically disqualified
    Taiwanese novels might work
    Japanese novels are usually written by socially inept otakus at least the webnovels, so you are not going to see that either
    Korean novels are made usually for teens to power trip, such complicated issues are rather ignored
    and contrary to popular belief, Korea is more conservative than even Japan.
    They rather hide things, the fact that prostitution is illegal should ring alarm bells
    When was the last time you saw a gay love story from Korea?
    Taiwan has it in spades
    Locating Taiwanese novels will not be so easy eg Cohen of the Rebellion

13. ItchyBookWorm

ItchyBookWorm Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Banished from the World

14. MOYA

MOYA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You sure? Cohen of the Rebellion is absolutely a novel from mainland, China.The author Mingmei is from Sichuan, China and the book was firstly published on mainland website. It's true that Novel Channel published it, but ONLY BECAUSE they have the copyright for its traditional Chinese version.
    So what? We also published the simplified Chinese version.

So you sure you wanna call this book a Taiwanese novel?

It's OK that you prefer TW novel, but can you just stop saying Cohen of the Rebellion is a TW novel?

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Honest mistake but point still stands. Such themes are seen in published novels rather than webnovels.

16. MOYA

MOYA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't really get your idea. Cohen of the Rebellion is also PUBLISHED in mainland China, in simplified Chinese. It's like JP mangas and novels are often translated and introduced in other countries or areas but can you say these works are not Japanese?

17. MOYA

MOYA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you have so many awsome books in TW , it's definitely cool if you can stop saying Cohen of the Rebellion is a TW novel and instead take other books for example. Not Cohen of the Rebellion please.Cuz it's NOT a TW novel.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020