Picked Up Life in Another World as a Housekeeping Mage

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by Hypothon, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Hypothon

Hypothon Semi-known disqus/NUF smut/shoujo commenter.

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Life in Another World as a Housekeeping Mage~Available for Housekeeping During Adventures!/Kasei Madoushi no Isekai Seikatsu: Boukenchuu no Kasei Fugyou Uketamawarimasu!
    Raw Link: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n9792ef/
    NU Link:
    N/A
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: Current heartwarming setting with a little sad backstory/early adventure experience for MC. Lovable cast. Not really OP combat wise MC but she's well-known enough to be well appreciated by her co-adventurers. The romance is a mix in pacing, manga translation wise, as of the end of Ch.1, ML is already honestly gunning on MC and making moves, MC herself isn't really oblivious as well. Cute slime mascot. Loving older brother figure. Some cooking here and there. Minor add-on, a 30 year old FemC.
    Description: A-rank adventurer Alec meets Shiori, a woman with the mysterious title of "household mage." Shiori, the low-rank magician, is able to prepare warm baths and delicious meals on their adventures with her strange use of magic, providing an all-too comfortable environment that would be unfitting to call an ordinary camp. Though she has thoroughly won over the hearts of Alec and his companions, she has a secret.

nyamachi likes this.
  2. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: Sounds interesting!

3. KynKatan

KynKatan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can pick it up but I would need to set up a website first.... give me a week and I should have a at least a chapter

Hypothon and nyamachi like this.
  4. Hypothon

Reading List:
    Link
    So, should I consider this picked up? Or I'll wait for an update a week later to change it?

5. KynKatan

Reading List:
    Link
    I already finished translating one chapter and set up the website but... I am a little nervous without my editor.

Before you consider this picked up, check the translation and let me know here if it is good enough to keep going. I wouldn't want to put up subpar work.

6. KynKatan

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't seem to be able to post links... so copy and paste
    lyricalhive.wordpress(dotcom)/2020/09/06/life-in-another-world-as-a-maid-mage-prologue-c1/

nyamachi and Hypothon like this.
  7. Hypothon

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the hard work! It was actually a great read. Almost makes me think, this isn't your first time doing such things, is it?
    Honestly, from the way you replied earlier, I had expected it to be Mtld or something, (rereading your reply earlier now made me think you're being a bit hard on yourself?)
    One minor issue I have though, feel free to ignore it but the first word "Ky" in the second paragraph, was it supposed to be a sfx or something (at least that's what I got from reading it)? And depending on future chapters (though this one is more tedious to do), how about specifying which character is speaking the dialogue (again, I'm basing this on your first chapter. Right now, there's no issue on the latter since there are only two participants in a conversation so it won't be difficult to pinpoint which one was speaking but I'd worry in future chapters with multiple participants (unless the narrative does a good job in explaining who is who, then again, feel free to ignore my nitpicking). In any case, good job! Much better than what I was expecting (keep in mind, I'm not a professional though)
    How about you @nyamachi ?
    At this point, all that's left is linking this at NU and making an official ToC.
    Will be changing this to Picked Up if you don't mind

8. KynKatan

Reading List:
    Link
    From Japanese to English, it is the first time on my own. I have translated other novels before but I always had someone proofreading and editing because there are a few things that I don't know how to do well like idioms and sfx. Mtd would be somewhat hard to do, this author really feels like an author, he/she uses proper similes and colloquial expressions and idioms. Several sentences had to be drastically changed to keep the meaning similar. But hen you have his/her problems with the language, like jumping from 3rd person to 1st person often, and making longs strong of kanji without layering the words properly. I am honestly curious how good he/she becomes because it is already far better than your usual web novel writer.

Yeah, Ky is a sfx. I am not sure how cringing hinges are supposed to sound in English lol. So I translated literal, if you know the correct onomatopoeia let me know.

As for specifying the characters, I include tags whenever it gets hard to know who is talking, this obviously differs slightly from the original author intentions where you are supposed to know via the voice but it is much harder in English. I do hate the lazy editing of "(name)" so I would refrain from that and transform it on proper dialogue tags.

nyamachi and Hypothon like this.
  9. KynKatan

Reading List:
    Link
    is on novel updates now... but I still cant link lol. anyway it is on series/life-in-another-world-as-a-maid-mage/

Hypothon and nyamachi like this.
  10. nyamachi

Reading List:
    Link
    @KynKatan Great job!! It read quite smoothly~ Besides what @Hypothon mentioned, the only minor things I noticed were a few tense changes (present instead of past) here and there and gender changes - "that guy" when referring to the housekeeping mage. Thank you for your hard work! Excited to read more :blobsnow:

For the creaking hinge, maybe you could put "Creeeaaakk" or something? I don't think English has as many otomatopias

Hypothon likes this.
  11. KynKatan

Reading List:
    Link
    wait... you mean I am not supposed to refer to girls as " guys" ?? I though it was an unisex term sorta like " people" . I guess I have some apologizing to do.

12. nyamachi

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, it's fine when you're speaking casually (though some would beg to differ). It just seemed off when I was reading it. I guess in person you're talking to them and you know that they're girls but it's harder to follow with text?

13. Hypothon

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't mind the "that guy" term. It was always neutral for me. Calling as that gal/girl would be fitting but would oddly sound weird for me. I mean, it DOES fit since ML has already seen her but I think its fine to keep it as is. Oh! and I agree on the sfx being creak, as long as its a wooden door type, I can't imagine any kind of sound. Plus, the manga adaptation also treats it as creak.[​IMG]

nyamachi likes this.