Recommendations Light and shadow

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Irisia, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished reading it. Awwwww, it's so good!!! The plot is good, the characters are well developed, 5/5.
    Mc is the prince who was supposed to have died in revolt, then became a maid in a ducal house and got forced into a marriage as a scapegoat. Ml is her husband and one of those responsible for the revolt... But there are no bad feelings due to that!!! And it is actually reasonable, unlike in many mangas. I'm not going to spoil you on reasons for that, because it will take something out of the fun of findind out by yourswlf at appropriate time.
    Caution: before reading the manga, i read the comments and they said that the only thing that's bad about the manga is the ml raping the mc on their first night of meeting. Now let me explain.
    You may agree and you have your own opinions and all, but honestly, when i read the manga myself it's the scene in the first few chapters... no matter what, i can't consider this rape.
    The whole scene was going to bed and then the next morning. Now that may let you think that it could be non-con... BUT!!! In the next few chapters it is revealed as to how their first time came to be:
    - mc asked him, can you accept me, even if i'm not the one who you were supposed to marry
    - even though it was supposed to be a "political" marriage, she wants a proper marriage
    - mc said: i am a virgin so can you please accept me and this marriage; she just wanted to live as long as possible
    - so in my opinion as the hubby agreed to her pleading and she gave her consent
    - the ml is actually fascinated by her quite quickly, because of her spirited attitude which he wasn't expecting. In the later chapters as his past gets revealed, it doesn't even seem possible that he could rape anyone, knowing how his mother's life came to end.
    In conclusion, i don't really think it was rape or non-con, the only thing I can blame on ml is that he was quite rough for the first time as he didn't believe she was a virgin. But because of that he was super gentle on their next time. He was also quite sorry for her first time being painfull. This manga doesn't really have any smut :cry: things are only implied.
    It's happy ending!!!
    AND the new king is actually very sorry for taking the throne that was rightfully hers. He is her fan you could say.
    Though the way i wrote this might make the manga looked like the typical shoujo romance, it is not. That's just me not wanting to reveal things. Also, the mc is not a Mary Sue. She is a ruler through and through. A girl crush if you know what i mean.
    In any case, don't believe in the comments, not even mine, just go read it and judge yourself just how great this manga is!!! Lots of love and stay safe and healthy, everyone!!!

Marfi09 likes this.
  2. Yasi

Yasi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read some of chapter 1 of the novel here https://novelskr.wordpress.com/2020/09/14/0001-light-and-shadow-uncensored/ it has the rape scene. The manhwa is toned down for obvious reasons. There are also 2 versions of this novel, uncensored and censored.

3. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that a mispelling or genderbend novel

4. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    But that's the novel. And since it's literally skipped in the manga then there is no need to imply it.
    Even in the novel, she does kind of give her consent though i am stretching it quite a bit. She asks: if i am a virgin will you accept me?
    Yes, she is super frightened and in pain and at loss, but she didn't struggle or really try to stop him. And while it's not rape in my opinion (in our times even if it's your significant other if you don't consent it's rape, but at the implied times it was the wife's duty to serve her man. It's because the definition of rape is simply different at different times.), I do want to punch him hehe, after all her choices were do or die, not much of a choice. And it was also a day before the wedding.
    What i want to say is there are different types of this: non-con is pretty much rape, dub-con when you're not sure about consent, and when the consent is given but you really don't like it. Because that is possible. And it should have been an often occurrence, because of political marriages. When the couple didn't like each other but still had to do it to have the heir.

5. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    It's genderbender i guess .she was raised as a boy

6. Stopitgetaway

Stopitgetaway ↳ [HIATUS] Holy Property

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read this awhile ago and wow, I love her as both Edna and Eden. Eli who? HAHA
    I ended up reading the manhwa instead of the novel btw!

7. Marfi09

Marfi09 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Checked the novel and got another example why books are the best form of telling a story. I read the manga and liked it. As for the rape part, most romance novel writers have a fetish for rape/abusive male lead for some reason. I just ignore that to avoid getting confused by seeing ML doing a 180 turn by becoming a loving gentleman later on.

8. waita

waita New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im not sure if it's rape or not. im reading the raws of the manhwa and it doesn't specifically talk about that scene in particular. also i dont think that the ml would rape her if you see his past. and the fl is a strong person so I dont think she would've just allowed him to rape her just to survive. his past and his actions make me think that it wasnt rape? so yea but that's just my opinion. you guys can think what you want. i personally didnt see it as rape EVEN though he was very rough with her which made me quite MADD >:C but he doess be very soft the next timee.. idkkk... the fl seemed to be fine with it so if she thinks she can live with him and love him ill just be supporting her decision.

Irisia likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This also has a sequel called Golden Time, albeit in my opinion it isn't as good as the original.

10. Geldax

Geldax New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there another page where I can read the uncensored version?