Chinese Lin Zhi [No Romance]

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by aShinyVaporeon, Jul 24, 2021.

1. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Lin Zhi/麟趾 (Qilin Hoof) by 梦溪石
    [​IMG]
    Raw Link: http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=3006744
    NU Link: N/A
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: According to a lot of people on the Chinese internet, it's a pretty good politics novel. Then again, translating a Chinese historical court politics novel is pretty hard. As the description says, it's also got no CP, and, according to Chinese readers, no romance in general. My cup of tea. It's also completed, with 169 chapters (no extras). It's also got a 9.8/10 rating on JJWXC (that's pretty good, come on), and is signed for a web drama and TV series.
    Description:
    Everyone knows that He Rong is good in every aspect, with the exception of one fly in the ointment.
    Ever since he fell off of his horse and was disabled, his life seemed destined to be rough.

Knowing the universe's vastness, I still pity the green grasses.*

No CP, no CP, no CP.
    Thank you 愚鸟童鞋 for the cover~**
    ----------
    Footnotes:
    *已识乾坤大,犹怜草木青: a line by famous Confucianism person Ma Yifu(马一浮) in some book about philosophy and stuff (旷怡亭口占). Means something along the lines of "despite understanding many truths and experiencing much, one still retains their humanity", or something like that.
    Honestly, it seems like the various answers I get conflict with each other, and this particular phrase is not famous enough to have a translation by an expert.
    Various (online, unofficial) sources have interpreted it as, variably, pitying the grasses because they don't know the depressing truths of the world, still caring about the grasses and not losing humility, and still enjoying life despite its vicissitudes.

**probably the author thanking the cover artist
    ======
    That description would tell you why I would not be able to translate this; I had to google at least one phrase in each clause of that description, and translating that line from Ma Yifu nearly drove me up a wall.

Anyway, I was looking for novels with no romance by browsing Chinese recommendations on the internet, and nearly all of them were one of three:
    1) Untranslated (like this one)
    2) Read them before (like Lord of Mysteries)
    3) Fakes (actually have romance, like Throne of Arcana)
    Thus, I am sad.

Something to note: This novel is actually part of a completed 4-book series. The series is called 剑胆琴心, an idiom, meaning something like to be both sentimental and brave. Each book in the series represents one character in the idiom--Lin Zhi is the third one to be released (it was completed in 2017), and represents the character 心(heart). As far as I know, each can be read as a stand-alone novel. Also, all the other books in the series are BL. Ironic for the heart novel to be the only one with no romance xD

pls pick this up I spent too long on this post. Signing off now.

gokenzt likes this.
  2. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    The cover looks cool plus it seems interesting. Looking forward to it getting translated.

gokenzt likes this.