Recommendations Linear Growth Cultivation System/s

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darius Drake, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    This time I'm wondering if there's any Cultivation System that has a linear growth. And by that I mean a non-system method of development which primarily focuses around the user's body and absorbing energy which, while increasing in difficulty to raise levels and/or ranks, each individual step has a set, limited amount of improvement upon the person developing.

This is notably different from most Cultivation Systems, as the vast majority of them have exponential growth, where going up a rank, or even level later on, results in what is typically described as a doubling or more in personal power.

Basically, I'm expecting/hoping to be introduced to a novel where low-level cultivators can simply overpower cultivators a level or two below them, but high-level cultivators have to win based on skill or personal advantages anywhere in a 5 level or more similarity. Growth difficulty increases can be either linear or exponential.

xD_User likes this.
  2. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial God Space - MC fight hardly leap over 2 or 3 level above him, due to his solid foundation, his tribulation is far worse than other

3. Ddragonesse

Ddragonesse 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    if you're alright with female MC from a transmigration novel: Bewitching Prince Spoils His Wife: Genius Doctor Unscrupulous Consort
    the MC does not solely focus on cultivation, but it's still a big part of the novel and the world they live in. The first part of cultivation follows the principle of 9 levels for each color of the rainbow. so you cultivate to level 9 and than jump to level red 1. In the much higher relams (the ones after purple - I don't know the names as the translation is not at that point) the power of elements get introduced - to reach a higher cultivation you have to cultivate you own element. But be aware that this story does have arcs that do not focus on cultivation instead the focus is more on family, sects and romance.

4. Darius Drake

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fairly certain that Martial God Space has an exponential growth system. If I would explain it with maths:

CR = Base x 1.5^N x YR = Exponential Growth
    CR = Base + YN = Linear Growth

Where CR is Cultivation Realm, Base is base strength, N is how many levels the individual has gone through, Y is the basic growth from going up a level and R is a "realm power multiplier". In other words, the more one grows more in a linear system the less each individual growth means. Having the MC of Martial God Space, despite having an insanely strong foundation, or base, rarely fighting over 2 or 3 levels above himself no matter how far he progresses, is a sign that it is more likely an Exponential Growth Story than a Linear Growth Story.

I have also read parts of Martial God Space, and feel like it is an Exponential Growth Story, due to the realm above always being significantly stronger than even the highest ranked of the rank below it, to the point at which a challenge between a rank X and a half-step rank X is seen as stupid on the side of the half-step rank X.

I might look into it. Not necessarily my type of story, but it sounds like it fits my request. Thank you.

Oh, and I have to admit, sometimes I raise these general query lists just out of curiosity, wondering if X or Y story variation actually exists. This is one of those "I'm just curious as to whether or not it actually exists" queries.

Ddragonesse likes this.
  5. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    based on what i read..
    he usually beat those who 2 or 3 level ahead of him, when come in beating next rank, he would usually near end level nearly promoted
    if he lv4, he would capable fighting up to lv7, if he fight lv8, he capable to hold his ground and run away
    even he near promoted and lv 9 is split several minor level, he still able to fight few minor level ahead[still 2 or 3 if not 1 or 2], since he always get what next rank had whenever he almost promoted
    this has been like this till current translated chapter

6. Darius Drake

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but...

Okay, I haven't read the entire story. But I have read the evolution into... I think it was Saint Level from Semi-Saint Level, and the things surrounding it.
    At Semi Saint Level, the MC of Martial God Space managed to do something nobody had heard of, he managed to go from understanding 999 Dao Principals to 1000, while still a Semi-Saint. This was a big deal since it passed a barrier everyone thought was impossible to pass at that level, AND MULTIPLIED the MC's either strength, or just how much spirit energy he could hold, by 10. And then when he passed over into a full-saint, his growth surged again.

A Multiplication in power, by advancing a single step. That is the sign of an exponential growth system.

Another indicator of Martial God Space using an Exponential Growth System is that the rank below being able to beat the rank above is an impressive act, even if the difference is a mere level. A Legend fighting evenly against a Semi-Saint is typically seen as something so stupid as it's nearly suicidal. As is a Semi-Saint doing the same against a Saint, and a Saint doing so against the next level in Cultivation (I forgot what that's called). Even if the difference is just a single level of growth, crossing the boundary between X & Y is major power-up.

A Linear Growth System would not have this. A Linear Growth System would have the difference between Mortal 1 & Mortal 9 (using the standard 10 levels of growth = new rank that the vast majority of Cultivation Systems use) being akin to the difference in combat power between a newborn baby and a fully-trained, armed and armoured knight, on their mount, with the knight themselves having the individual power equivalent to 9 large adult brown-bears, and the mount having the charging strength of 15. However, due to the fact that growth is LINEAR, this rate of growth continues, causing the difference in power between, say, a mid-ranged cultivator who just ranked up into core-formation stage (something, again, most Cultivation Novels have), and a person a level before core-formation stage to have a difference in strength comparable to the difference in strength between a Heavyweight and a Light Heavyweight fighter (used Boxing Weight Classes for this. Heavyweight is 91 kilograms/200 pounds down, while Light Heavyweight is 81 kilograms/178 pounds down). While the difference is still notable, it's now at a level where the two can actually fight and not have an absolute predetermined winner.

7. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    As a fellow nerd, I feel for you, but even I can't tolerate that wall of text. Sounds like you want to write a paper called 'On the Use of Exponential Levelling in Chinese Webnovels' :p

Darius Drake likes this.
  8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    You probably aren't going to find anything of that nature in any xuanhuan with fantastical worlds. A more normal wuxia, or western fantasy would probably fit the bill. Can't say exactly for certain about wuxia.

9. Darius Drake

Reading List:
    Link
    But, but... most of the "wall of text" is on Linear Growth, not Exponential. And most of that is going "this is an example of what I requested, because you don't seem clear on it". I couldn't see a good way to break it up without causing an issue in clarity for the point I was trying to get across.

Yeah, I was expecting that. Though I only limited it to "Cultivation" Novels, so my request is not only Xuanhuan, but also includes Wuxia. Just so long as it's not an outright RPG-like levelling system, and one where people gain levels or otherwise develop by absorbing energy from the air to develop their bodies fits, as far as I'm concerned. And, as I said before, this is more of a "I'm actually wondering if this exists", rather than a "find me these".