Discussion Living as the Tyrant’s Older Sister (Webtoon)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by marizz, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    So it is the grand duke.... (I am watching you, old man). As how Edith is actually a 2nd!version of novel, and how her character is not really heroine like make me thinking that he maybe make some 'influence' to Edith that she become this...bitchy. After all, I saw that Edith somehow rely on her uncle. :hmm:

2. SoraxRiku

SoraxRiku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of hope we don't find out what happened in the original timeline. Personally it tends to take me out of it.

So far all evidence is showing that the uncle is sketchy, but we haven't really seen him in full action yet. There seems to be a lot happening behind the scenes and it seems Alicia is going to have to utilize all the tools available to her find out what is happening (Ares is one of those tools lol). I am sure she has other ideas in mind on how to obtain power, but for now its a huge step for her to realize she needs power. Ares too is also suspicious since he is willing to look for something mysterious in the palace. The question is what? His feelings for Alicia are genuine and the mere idea of her getting a boyfriend bothers the hell out of him, but I do wonder why he is sort of working with the uncle to find this item???

3. KathyClysm

KathyClysm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don't think he is actually looking for anything in the palace. Remember, he was trying to get her to go out with him, and she was nooooot having any of it, so he said:
    [​IMG]
    To me, that sounds like he just kinda..... lied and said he was looking for something so she wouldn't call him out on his stalker behaviour for suddenly showing up at the palace ALL the time lol

4. SoraxRiku

Reading List:
    Link
    To me the reason I mentioned is because of the mini conversation he had with the uncle at the party. Something about agreeing to look for something. Whatever it is, I think his plans have changed since he is courting Alicia.

Granted I could wrong lol

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  5. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait then that means the Ares from the beginning was waiting in the wings to swoop in to take the Kingdom for himself. He probably wanted for the royalty and the corruption to get on to a whole other level and as it self-destructs take the kingdom for himself? If that's the case the ML is pretty scary. Everything is different just because he banged Alicia.

Kattz and Jukki like this.
  6. SoraxRiku

Reading List:
    Link
    I know right? I have a feeling there is alot happening that we dont know about yet. But if that's the case then Ares is alot more cunning than I am giving him credit for. It's easy to forget because he is a whipped side piece now, but he is commander of an army and literally is half the political power in the kingdom. We are almost caught up to the raws which currently has 44 chapters and the recent update was chapter 33.

I feel like we are still in the beginning of the story and when you think about it not much has happened yet except witnessing poor Alicia deal with her stresses in life lol.

Kattz, Yukari_me and Jukki like this.
  7. 2_Zen_Owls

2_Zen_Owls Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay. I have been obsessing over this story and I have some theories about everything that is going on and I want to know what you guys think.

I think the draft written where Kai is the protagonist and the final version where Ares is the protagonist is almost the EXACT SAME STORY. The difference is the perspective we see and who “wins” in the end.

It was stated in both versions of the book that Kai acted like a tyrant, but I don’t think he ever really was. He was embarrassed to show his “Tyrant side” to Ares when they were extorting the Chamberlain, and he really just seems like a rambunctious kid to me.

What I think happened in both novels is that Edith suppressed Alicia preventing her from supporting Kai and the Grand Duke purposefully did not teach Kai how to rule properly and he held all the power. The Grand Duke could have made some horrible decisions and doomed the country or he could have been a good ruler but left an incompetent one when he died. Either way Kai is doomed for failure.

I also think Ares is the antagonist in the draft version. In the first chapter (I think) our MC is mocking the novelist saying that his name is an obvious indicator for the plot twist. To me that means someone that was regarded as a hero (Ares) betrays the protagonist (Kai). We know that happens in the second version when he put’s and end to the tyrant and the “plot twist” comment made me think it happened in the first draft as well, only Kai was the victor in that version.

In the second version Ares goes back to the castle much later than in our current reality. And the very first person he meets is Edith, crying in the woods. By that time I imagine the Grand Duke, who it seems like Ares is on good terms with, has already died, and Edith probably said whatever the hell was most beneficial for her probably implicating poor Kai. And Ares believed it since he had not been back to the castle for years. He never met Kai, and since he was gone the Grand Duke had all the power so he has no idea who was the truly corrupt one, the only one to blame was Kai. So with Kai’s poor leadership and him probably being blamed by Edith for the death of the Grand Duke, Ares declared war on him. I think Edith manipulated Ares in both novels since it explains why he would betray the empire in the draft version (If that happened).

That’s also why I think Ares married Edith. All eligible rulers were dead he already had most of the power; marrying Edith was the most obvious thing to do without putting the country in turmoil. I suppose Edith could rule but she doesn’t seem to want that power, she seem just to enjoy the privilege.

But we know that story has gone off the rails since Ares has met the MC, is trying to court her, and has met Kai. I think it’s pretty obvious Kai is not a bad kid. He also knows Edith is a White Lotus so he won’t get fooled by her anytime soon.

That being said I still think the story will follow the main plot (the hint was when Alicia tried not to mail the letter from her mother but the plot still held anyway). I think Ares will still declare war but on the “acting emperor,” the Grand Duke, I think the Grand Duke will still die but one of our 3 main cast will kill him, and I think Kai will still be known as a Tyrant thanks to Alicia.

I also have some theories about Alicia's lineage but I’ll save that for later. Sorry for the long post, let me know what you guys think.

8. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    I love your observation of the story being essentially the same with just one twist changing everything, but I don't think that the primary plot structure is as set in stone as you think. Alicia talking about the letter was just her assumption of what would happen - like most isekai MCs, she think's this is all fixed, but just looking at Ares, chances are that everything has changed already in a very fundamental way. Then again, I do think you are right and the Grand Douch will eventually fall, but I'd argue at this point, it is more likely that Alicia is the one to take him down (with Ares as back-up) than the ML himself. As of yet, he has not shown any interest whatsoever in a higher position or more power than he already holds, and she got him wrapped around her little finger. Unless the Grand Douch somehow makes her cry, I don't think Ares would take action without her asking him to.

9. 2_Zen_Owls

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole "story set in stone" is just a theory I thought was interesting. And I I absolutely think Kai or Alicia should be the ones to directly take on the grand Duke. And Ares clearly has no desire for the throne. He's so uninvolved I think its what allowed the corruption (if that's what's happening)to go on unchecked for so long.

I also had another thought. Lancelot left after Ares took over. We see lancelot has had business with the castle pretty frequently and seems to be neutral to fond of Kai. I think while he was unaware of what went on in the palace he new Kai's character and was again Ares killing him. Lancelot was probably horrified at what happened and that's why he decided to leave. It's a little sad actually.

10. Yukari_me

Yukari_me I Gotta Put Me First

Reading List:
    Link
    oooh i love your theory!! Especially about the perspective part. Though i would also like to disagree that everything is not set in stone but the rest might just cover up some of the holes/problems in the story. I personally think the draft version and the new version merged in the current timeline our MC is in. Especially if we’re speaking of perspectives, if the draft version is meant to paint Kai as a tyrant and still got a happy ending, that would mean that someone in the story favoured Kai. Looking back, I remember people mentioning that Kai may have become a tyrant in order to protect his sister, the original Alicia. If so, the draft may have been in the original Alicia’s perspective of how things turned out. Especially now that we suspect the grand duke may be scheming against lil’ sh*t by not properly guiding him as a good king. Tbh, I just hope there’s not much political fights in the story cuz the plot may lose its brilliance.

I have a feeling Lancelot may have also known the original Alicia. Seeing that he was a frequent seller in the palace, he must have known what was happening. Cuz you know, as a businessman, you gotta know the ins and outs of the people you’re dealing with. My theory is probably that he met the original Alicia and kinda got to know her. Before he could even try to help her, Ares went in for the kill which traumatized him. One side was his dear friend, and the other was a member of the royal family who is related to the “tyrant” king. What’s more, even if he wanted to help, I think the fact that he was an illegitimate child and had to climb up the social ladder on his own to be recognized by everyone played a part in it.

11. 2_Zen_Owls

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking at this I feel really bad for Kai. I hadn't considered him being treated as a bastard child but that is a very good point. Poor Kai has no idea how the world views him and he has just become a massive world figure, and I don't think he understands that.

Lancelot definitely might have gotten to know Alicia. He was going to meet her because Kai was being all tsun but was suppressed by Ares man, which obviously couldn't happened in either version of the book. I am curious about what his role will be.

Though I do want some things to play out similarly. At some point I would love for Edith to come sobbing to Ares while playing the victim. I just really want to see the fallout of that.

12. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow. Revelation. The real reason he never stayed with Ares in the original novel is that he was disgusted that he let Edith manipulate him and not allow him to see that he was used by her to get rid of her "enemies." To him, his friend killed off 2 innocent people to appease his lover's pride.

13. marizz

marizz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, just to clarify; is this a spoiler or a theory? :hmm:

Ruruki likes this.
  14. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    theory

lazynoodles, Ruruki and marizz like this.
  15. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone love the crazy updates??? I laughed more than a lot of comedy anime out there. That panel where the butler keeps saying Madame! Then the reaction of the MC and the knight with her was the best.

Leilacus, Yukari_me, pelusa77 and 3 others like this.
  16. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, Ares blocks his friend Lancelot again from meeting her is another classic Ares move. I would like to laugh at him more but that conversation he had about MC abandoning all she has to be with him sent chills down my spine and stopped me laughing right away. I’m like - what did you have planned for her younger brother- that little fanboy?:blobfearful: :sweating_profusely: :notlikeblob: I mean I still think the little brother is still a thoughtless piece of shit and a annoying tsundere but being isolated from you only family member by your idol is...not good.

17. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Ares really is thirsty for the MC. There’s a panel dedicated just to him staring at her mouth with his heart beating.

Jukki, Ruruki and KathyClysm like this.
  18. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    The butler was my personal highlight of this mass update. Comedy gold right there!
    Also the panel where George lost his shit and everyone looked so damn pleased about it nearly had me spit my drink on my computer lol

The negotiation they had in his office though, I mean, she basically has him wrapped around her little finger without even trying. Poor ML boy was probably.... feeling it with all the touching, and she just shot him down. Really, I am guessing the only reason, and literally the only reason, why he did not take his subordinate's suggestion to just go and drag her to his house was because he does not want anyone else touching what's his lol

I am noticing more and more now that Ares is really just a grown-up version of Kai. They are like two peas in a pod, just some 20-ish years appart. Give Kai a bit more time to grow up and a girl to fall in love with head over heels, and you got Ares right there.

19. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno. Kai is a lot more dumber than Ares.

Ruruki and HappySheep00 like this.
  20. KathyClysm

Reading List:
    Link
    well he's also like... 8? maybe 10? If he's anything like my little cousin, who's 11, than he's a stinky, lanky monster feasting on my anger with an IQ that's barely high enough for him to not die because he forgot to breath. <3