Question LN and WN of the world.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Overclock, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been reading light novels and web novels from Japan, China, and Korea for years. I don't know why I never asked before but are there more novel, like the kind we read, in other countries?

2. LordRikudo

LordRikudo 【Master of YEET】

Reading List:
    Link
    Stories on Wattpad, royalroad, storial, etc.. are basically webnovels too right??

The only difference from jp/kr/cn wn is the host site (ex: http://ncode.syosetu.com/ for jp wn)

Paps and Westeller like this.
  3. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably, but those three definitely has the most amount and the most translated.

Paps likes this.
  4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can search Novel Updates for novels originating in nine different languages, but most of those nine have extremely few listings.

Novels are a global thing, but web novels are much more limited. It's really mostly those three languages, AFAIK. There should still be more traditionally published novels with similar themes as some we read around here, though, originating from other languages. Maybe not, like, isekai or cultivation novels with all the usual tropes, but, well... Fiction is common on a global scale. For existing (and most likely official) translations of traditionally published novels, you'd have to search Google instead of NU.

And, ofc, yes, as has been said, you can check out web novels written originally in English on a variety of sites.

Stephanie1399 likes this.
  5. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen a couple Indonesian authors on Webnovel. But those are original novels being written in English there by their authors, not published novels being translated by someone else.

6. JoshuaFord

JoshuaFord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, places like scribble hub and royal road have essentially webnovels and they aren't limited to originating from Asian countries, I don't know the breakdown though percentage wise. A good example of a fantasy story that AFAIK is not from an Asian author and has more of a western spin would be Azarinth Healer. Something that probably follows more of a Japanese style but AFAIK the author may be from the Philippines (going off profile info) would be The Villainess’s Redemption. Sorry in advance that neither example has a male protagonist, not a huge fan of them due to the prevalent use of harems to add filler to plotless adventure stories...

Wattpad is also an option, but I often find the quality there to be... sub par.

I cant really think of a good equivalent to LN in the west, I think mainly due to just different lifestyles, with the west preferring longer length volumes in series due to how we allot time, our relatively low cost to store larger books, and our lower population density leading to less access to new volumes. Not saying that's necessarily the deciding factor but it may have some influence, I'm just guessing though...

7. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause WebNovel in some western countries called a WebSeries. Wildbow's Worm and Parahuman series, pirateaba's Wandering Inn, etc are examples of western WN.

8. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Vietnam, all country have tho mainly ASIA for daily update chaps
    western and Latin it's supposed fanfic, a novella which has a mind-blowing 2 chaps/year sometime and of course hiatus
    the best is Chinese, Korea sucks for ridiculous complex payment method, Japan free all Syosetu, but many after going publish in LN, WN vers being deleted, I wanna buy LN but for what I couldn't read JP, the only way is to OCR-ed to text and using the user friendly Google Translate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.