LN vs WN

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ldiefeaith00, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldiefeaith00

ldiefeaith00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People of the world...chosen ones, immortal cultivators, true heroes, true gods, demon gods, pervets all over the world.. I seek the profound enlightenment about the difference of Light novel and Web Novel...most importantly the difference in the story...this humble one...kneeling before you my king to answer this question...May you live until the end of time...

Gadget likes this.
  2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you clarify your question a bit more? It seems somewhat vague. Are you asking which is better, whether WNs have differences from their LNs (yes), what exactly are you asking?

3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i think he is asking what are the difference between WN and LN...

4. buttplug2

buttplug2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A light novel is a physical thing, a web novel is not. A web novel doesn't go through editors and quality control, a light novel does.

5. nekoniko

nekoniko Mew mew mew~

Reading List:
    Link
    LN- wait for release(long)
    WN-wait for updated chapters (Fast)
    the end

6. Lao

Lao Languid

Reading List:
    Link
    If you were to talk about the fundamental differences between WN's and LN's, well WN's stand for Web Novels, they exist on the web, Light Novels are physical books that exist in the real world......if you're asking for any other differences, then I don't know any

7. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Light novels are licensed novels, published officially with physical copies. They are therefore known as more 'polished' and 'refined' than WNs.

Web novels are often hobby works, published online on syoetsu (or however its spelt) and they don't receive any profits

8. Pork_Supreme

Pork_Supreme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure the main difference is that a LN is generally a physical object while a WN exists only on the internet.

Generally, the WN comes first and then when it gets popular a publisher will pick up the story for a LN. Given the cause and effect thing, authors will frequently change things they didn't end up liking in the WN or that were poorly received.

In terms of translations, I haven't seen too much difference in TL quality. Some LN TLs are terrible, some WN TLs are wonderful. If you wanted to see the practical difference in the stories/characters, I think Death March has TLs for both the WN and LN here.

9. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    a LN has everything that the WN had looked at and scrutinized by an a professional editor to improve the story.

10. estelion

estelion Magna Cumlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed that for you.

11. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding. Light novel : printed copies with good plot lines and all while the web novel is more of a rough copy or the foundation of the story with need of adjustment.

12. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well basically you can think of WN as a raw form of an author's work. It contains his ideas and thoughts written. Think of LN as a processed form of the WN ready for general consumption acceptable to public for marketing. Thus it will go through changes for the targeted audience, as a side effects there will be changes.

13. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    There aren't much different in plot between WN and LN
    But sometimes author may decide to alter the storyline a bit or putting filler
    But LN storyline may go deeper than WN

P.s
    LN has illustrations... :cool:
    May god bless thy with a box of tissue
    Be it either 6 pack or heavenly peak
    Wide back or slender hip

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. ldiefeaith00

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends whether or not the author felt it could be improved. Some are pretty similar, while others have large differences. Generally LN is higher quality.

16. JarJarThinks

JarJarThinks Addicted to Monster Hunter Generations

Reading List:
    Link
    A Light Novel is a novel (whether or not it has a WN counterpart doesn't matter) that has been physically published by a company.

A Web Novel refers to any novel published to the web (often through sites like syosetu (JP novels) or RRL (EN novels)). These are often the more 'rough' works of an author, with often no dedicated editor (in most cases).

CN novels that have been translated more often than not are considered WN as they often are published on sites such as qidian rather than being translated from a physical book.

Changes from WN to LN may include new Side Stories, changed events, completely new arcs/events or little to no change at all.

Gadget likes this.
  17. ldiefeaith00

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you everyone...i guess i have a vague idea now...im just confused about the whole plot, story of both LN and WN of some material im reading...but i guess the difference is not that far...

18. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    For Death March, the web novel was written first and presents the "original" story. The later LN refined that story.

Both WN and LN, all the characters and main plot points are roughly the same.

However, WN focuses more on the MC's interactions in the world, such as meeting the various merchants in the first city, where the LN focuses more on the combat and interactions with the main support characters.

For Death March, the first 2 LN volumes covered the same events (with many small differences but overall same main events) as in 2.5-3 volumes of WN (basically removing all the non-action, slice of life, not critical to the story scenes).

I find the LN to be a very well written, final draft of the previous WN. However, the WN does contain a lot of nice non-important scenes that give it a slice of life feel rather than OP combat novel that the LN tends to focus more on.

19. Captain127

Captain127 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure how much they vary by, I recall a while ago Tate no yuusha WN and LN had slight differences. I mean only 5/6 volumes of LN were released at the time and all IIRC they fiddled about a bit with the number? Or just the class of a hero. The significance of this? No clue. Think the plot may of started to deviated a bit from the WN but again it was too early to tell for sure. Naturally for such a long novel, there will be parts authors were not satisfied or were enlightened to possible plots/chars further down their work but was too late to do anything so with a clean slate I imagine they would go to town with all the new material.

20. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People say that in the shield hero the story differs a lot. It depends on the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.