LN vs WN

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ldiefeaith00, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpgbscout

rpgbscout I don't only read mature novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Now for another LN and WN combination Overlord, the two stories deviated so much from each other that they are almost different stories with the same cast of characters.

The anime for Overlord followed the LN version which had Albeldo and Aniz was the adventurer. WN came first and did not have Albedlo and the maid that was Aniz's adventuring partner was the only adventurer from Narrizik.

2. Takumi168

Takumi168 『Forever Alone Guild』『Boredom sect』『Merchant』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I'm sure someone asked this question already if you search the forum remember seeing this thread before

3. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    usually the LN chapter is longer too.....

Sometimes the LN and the WN even if they have the same name have totally different plot, or different characters...Like Overlord where Albedo only exist in our hearts (The LN version that is)

Or like the Shieldbro hero story, where the LN has a totally different end (Not that i know since i haven-t read it...since no one translates the LN......Hate you all ppl that doesn't translate the LN >.>!)

but god knows, they say that the LN doesn't have plot holes and so on.....but the thing is...its more refined, more edited, they don't forget to patch the plot holes or wipe them out....and...most important!

Usually translators go for WN since its easier and they don't get chased by DMCA (Or how I like to say YMCA)

4. ldiefeaith00

ldiefeaith00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so basically the story and plot of those material with LN and WN..has a little differences now i see the advantages and disad. of both novels....thx evry1 i guess...i just dont have the guts to read again the LN Ver. of some novels material im reading this is why im asking someone...bec. isnt a waste of time...instead reading good WN...you will just read the same plot and story of that material....but if the author change something in LN...WILL it also reflect at the WN?

5. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kind of stupid comparing those two. Since many LN comes from WN.

WN is like the rough draft of LN so you can't really compare them.

6. ldiefeaith00

ldiefeaith00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well its not about comparing..i know the disparity of the two...but what i just want to know if the story is will change or the plot is diff..in LN and WN...they sometime change the whole story base on the mood of the editorial or management comp. that have taken liken of those novels materials.

7. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... like I said, it is a rough draft.
    Just like other kind of entertainment media, sometimes the final product is very different than the first concept

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's fair to call WNs a "rough draft" of LNs. WNs and LNs are just two different media. A WN is written day-by-day by the author, online. A LN is a published novel. Sure, many WNs give birth to LNs, but that doesn't make them rough drafts. The WN isn't a rough draft of anything. It's an original, stand-alone, work. It doesn't need a LN adaptation, and a LN adaptation isn't guaranteed to be better in any way. It may even be much worse.

saffu and Arcturus like this.
  9. Captain127

Captain127 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it's dependent on the author/publisher, and maybe the work. If the work is already so good then there's probably only going to be slight changes. Or despite being a success the author may feel he could make it much better and start making all the changes that he considered later on. I guess all you can rely on is reading reviews people make on WN and LN and if your lucky someone has read both and can share some insight in the diff between the 2.

Westeller likes this.
  10. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference of WN and LN (for translator)
    WN is easier to translate since the text is in convenient digital form.
    LN is harder to translate since you need to scan, digitize and edit the text into a convenient digital form.

The difference of WN and LN (for reader)
    WN is quicker to translate.
    LN has pretty pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.