Recommendations Looking for a good webnovel - new to webnovels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by M1r4, Dec 30, 2019.

1. M1r4

M1r4 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read It's Not Easy to Be a Man After Travelling to the Future (NEMTF) and I love Love LOVE it. I love that the female protagonist is strong, that it's not focused on romance and that the story has actual flesh to it (the world and 'power system' is well described, quite original too.. who would have thought I would like something about mecha? The side characters are very endearing and have their own stories, the relashionships between the characters are central to the story and there is humor and wit in the writing).
    I just ignore the chinese patriotism doesn't bother me at all hahah.

This is my second webnovel after Ancient Godly Monarch so you can assume that I don't know any novel and recommend me popular ones too!
    AGM is good but the trouble is it's a bit too much... i dont feel like its as well written or as much thought went into it as NEMTF. Character development (personality, motivations, emotions) is a bit poor, esp side characters. The magic/power system and world kinda feels like its being invented on the go to suit the story, the main character kills wantonly, and there are a million techniques that he never reuses or even mentions again. Basically its a bit all over the place.

I want to find something as good as NEMTF. I like the idea of an overpowered female mc that is a genius and dominating as well as good looking and caring. I dont care what language it is but bonus points if it's completed and if its in korean because then I don't have to wait for updates or translation.

Or you can recommend me any novel that you love that youve though was original and unique and think that everyone should read.

Please help me I would reaaaallyyy appreciate it.

CosmicInsomniac likes this.
  2. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    samjack likes this.
  3. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
    This is a good story for beginners because it stays with you even when you've become used to reading all sorts of tropes and cliches. Been reading this for 3 years and have read it thrice from the start, the only novel that was able to make me do so.

iBakax3 likes this.
  5. 10sWBlade

10sWBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Royalroad novels

There is no Epic loot here , only Puns

Delve

Super Minion

Azarinth Healer

Threadbare ( completed )

He who fights with monsters

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  7. ThunderingSnow

ThunderingSnow Sipping up a cup of chaotic good...and boba

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Else is a Returnee. Currently rereading it now. Maybe The Novel's Extra? I stopped reading that but I can tell you the first arc is at least good (just like SAO LOL).

If you're looking for Chinese cultivation stories, you'll probably want to check out the IET novels like Lord Xue Ying or the other guy - Er Gen I think? He wrote I Shall Seal the Heavens. Dunno how to read over a thousand chapters of that stuff, but whatever floats your boat I guess. On a side note, if you can read long series, try Doulou Dalu, all of that series.

If you don't mind fluff, Ascending, Do Not Disturb is the only other novel I consistently follow as of this moment (though it is a bit in the other direction). 10 out of 10 recommended, but again, only if you like fluff.

9. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    Side Character Transmigrations
    Oh. Nevermind then :blobsweat_2:

Small Medium is pretty good, it's the 2nd book of the Threadbare series on Royalroad. You don't need to Threadbare, but I recommend you do for worldbuilding reasons.
    No One's Story on Scribblehub, first half is a male MC but we change perspective to a female MC in the second half, and that's when it goes from good to great.
    Cultivation Chat Group, the MC is super lucky/unlucky, and it's hilarious. I cannot recommend it enough.

Mother of Learning, the MC is in a groundhog day style time loop, where he relives the same month over and over.

FFF-Class Trashero - I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it, since you said you were new to webnovels. It defies alot of common tropes, but I feel like you should add it to your reading list and wait, since part of the reason it's popular is because the MC has good reasons to not engage in common tropes. You hear a scream from a princess whose carriage is being attacked? Well just ignore it, you have to defeat the Demon King ASAP, and it will save more lives if you ignore her sidequest and instead beat him a month earlier. The main character can be a dick at times, but at least he doesn't think with his dick
    Essentially, FFF Class Trashero is the story of a hero who gets the best possible answer with the wrong methods.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  11. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Venguis

Venguis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries
    Male MC, but it's pretty incredible. Great worldbuilding, with a Victorian-era setting and Lovecraftian elements. The characters are all very interesting, and the power system is amazing. No romance either, just focused on plot. 1st arc ending is great (200 chapters in) but you'll get hooked from that point. This is the one I enjoyed the best, but maybe because it's so ridiculously unique in the sea of other webnovels, so you might want to read this one later.

Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
    Also recommend. Only fault was a somewhat annoying repeated joke about a character named Beifeng, but it might not be bothersome to you. Beginning is heavily focused on comedy/world-building, but 50-100 chapters in it's basically on plot with some humor. World is pretty standard fantasy but also has some really interesting elements. MC is op, but all the gods/elementals/undead are even more op. There are romantic elements but MC doesn't ever participate due to reasons explained later. Side characters are explored but nowhere compared to MC, whose development is nice.

The Novel's Extra
    First arc (150 chapters maybe?) is an absolute masterpiece - it's a mess of action/comedy/drama. Honestly just a really good beginner's read. Some romance, but it feels much more like drama (MC doesn't ever reciprocate). Afterwards is still decent novel, but it kinda spirals into MC is op and does this, then does that - I would honestly still recommend just for the first arc though, and you can keep reading if you enjoy it.

Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint
    I'd recommend this one simply because it fits pretty much everything in your post - MC is strong, world is very unique (mish-mash of a variety of different cultures), power system is extremely original and based on "stories", side characters have lots of depth (although this does deteriorate a few hundred chapters in with new characters), minimal romance, and there is some humor. Character relations do drive the plot initially, but again, a hundred chapters in it's only really through action.

13. ann018

ann018 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A list of my favourites webnovel that I read and I still remember.
    I have read a lot of books that some have gone out of my head.
    Here I'm going to list only those who I still remember and the favourites.
    There is no ranking by the way.

1) School flower versatile security guard. (The only reason I remember this novel is because this is the first novel that I read online.)

2)Against the Gods
    (Last time I checked this novel is still ongoing)

3) Martial God Asura
    (A great novel at first, but to many chapters later on the story and it's still ongoing) ps: it becomes a pain in the ass.

4)Martial world (9)
    (I suggest for the newcomers who still likes the cultivation novels to read this epic novel.)

5) A Thought Through Eternity/ A Will Eternal. (9.5)
    (If you haven't read this? What are you waiting for?)

6) Battle Through the Heavens. (9.5)

7) Stellar Transformation (9.5)
    (This is one of my first cultivations novels that I read online. It's very enjoyable if you are a newcomer to this genre.)

8) King of Gods
    (I haven't finished it yet but until 200 first episodes are very good.)

9) Everyone Else is a Returnee. (8)
    (If you are a person that reads too many books online or books with pages, this book I suggest it you read it only because at least will be one of those books that you will remember it. At least for me.)

10) I Reincarnated For Nothing. (7)

11) My Disciple Died Yet Again. (8.5)
    (The first novel that I read with the main Character being a female. It was pretty enjoyable.)

12) Joy of Life. (8)

13) Release that Witch. (9.5)

13) History's number 1 funder. (9)

14) The Desolate Era. (9)

15) Library of Heavens Path. (9)
    (Very enjoyable book at the beginning but after 400 chapters I think? The main character became a little more serious or I don't know how to explain it but at the first 400 chapters it was more enjoyable and made you laugh every time you read the main character, anyway still a good book.)

16) Coiling Dragon. (9)

17) Elixir Supplier. (8.5) - (9)
    (Very good novel but as far as I remember the author didn't find a breakthrough to the story, so the late chapters it became like drag, but still for me it was very quite enjoyable.)

18) Valhalla Saga. (8)

19) Lord of Mysteries. (9.5) - (10)
    (The only book that I read online that I really think highly but still feel conflicted for giving a 10. Probably the new saga of the book will make me decide.

20) Superstars of Tomorrow. (9)
    (Never thought that this novel will be that good, if you are reading this give it a shot.)

There are more books that I read but I'm only listing Webnovels that you can find them online and also in some pages free.

14. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like stories with humour and wit in the writing style and has side characters that play a major role in the plot together with the [male] MC, try:
    Legend of Sun Knight
    Yu Brothers' Case Book
    Chen Yue Zhi Yao
    Residence of Monsters
    Fu Xing Dong Lai
    Unique Legend

For strong female MC:
    Half Prince (already recommended above)
    Dominion's End

Most of these have minimal to no romance though, focusing more on the friendships between characters instead. They're also all female authors.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    ann018 likes this.
  15. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Commons Sense of a Duke's Daughter - MC got isekai'd. Used modern knowledge to run her territory

Garden of Sinners - MC is an mage assassin. It has an anime.

A Certain Magical Railgun

16. zaetheii

zaetheii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm trying to pick stories that are good and don't have too much I-Already-Read-Webnovels-So-I-Know-What-BLANK-Means Knowledge.
    English Originals First:

+1 Mother of Learning - Unique story where MC is stuck in a month-long time loop, and proceeds to learn and develop their magic due to issues both inside the time loop, and to give them more options if the time loop ends. One of those stories that everyone should read, simply due to the unique and interesting magical system, and how well it's introduced and presented to us.

Tower of Somnus - An interesting story where Humanity is being ruled by Megacorporation's, and aliens saw us and decided "Nope, you're not ready to join galactic society", instead just dropping down a video game people play in their sleep that gives super powers and hoping that it propagates enough before management realises the game's ability to grant super powers that the poor have a chance at an uprising. That failed, but our MC ends up getting a copy of the game, despite being poor, anyway, and utilises the benefits from it to raise her position in life, and meet people from other races.

Reject Hero - Super Hero World, where the MC has Super Powers that transform him into a seemingly immortal being, at the cost of making everyone in a certain radius of him obsessively want to kill him. And it activates on a hair trigger. Yeah, despite being a good man, the MC isn't exactly considered highly by the populace... even when compared to the literal super villains. This is his story of what happened after he started being properly confronted about his powers, instead of adjusting his life so that they had as minimal impact on him as they could.

A Practical Guide To Evil - This is a very... meta-contextual story. Basically, this world works on literal story rules. Things that are story-based recommendations or standards are literal rules that people can learn to utilise to direct the flow of fate for their benefit. How this works varies, but there are some people who manage to become representatives of a certain role. This role can be practically anything, from "Black Knight", to "Squire", "Archer" or "Warlock". Some roles are only available to those who follow the gods of "below" (treated like those of hell), while others are only available to those who follow the gods of "above" (treated like those of heaven), though there are plenty that can decide which set of gods they wish to follow. Those who obediently follow the will of above are called "Hero's", while those who accept the freedom granted by below are called "Villain's". Anyway, all of these people, be they Hero or Villain, start to follow a different set of rules of fate, ones that are narratively defined. Things like the Rule Of Threes can determine not only the outcomes of battles, but entire wars. This story is about the rise of our MC, Catherine Foundling, as she becomes someone important, learns the rules of being a Named (having a title due to representing a certain role), and masters the art of predicting and directing the rules of reality to her advantage.

Now onto Korean Stories:
    The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor - Honestly, I, personally, consider this to be one of the worst stories I will be recommending to you. However, I believe that it is one of the earliest Korean VRMMO Webnovels, and is thus a good starting point to introduce you to a whole bunch of concepts that VRMMO Stories tend to insert into every story without explanation. It has it's fanbase, but I, personally, suspect that at this point that it comes more from the days when there weren't many half-decent Webnovels out there, and has just persisted from that. Short introduction: MC is poor, and became famous, to his ignorance, when he developed an OP character in a MMO that became free-to-play. Due to money troubles, he sold his MMO character, getting a whole bunch more money for it than he though even remotely possible. He uses that money to buy a VRMMO Console for the first VRMMO Game, live comfortably for a few months as he trains himself physically, before playing the VRMMO to sell items for real-world profit. The story is about him becoming popular, rich, and all round improving his life due to playing the VRMMO.

+1 Everyone Else is a Returnee - Earth gains Magic and a System (System, with a capital S means something akin to Video Game Stats, Identify, and other Game-like benefits in the real world), and everyone on Earth leaves to get training on how to use magic and the like in other worlds. All the humans, that is, except the story's MC, who has difficulty being noticed at the best of times, and was thus missed by the thing that took people to other planets. The MC, instead, stays behind on Earth, where time can effectively be considered frozen. That is to say, Earth isn't spinning around the sun, nor just spinning, and the animals don't need to eat or drink to survive. MC gets visited by an Angel (white wings and all), who basically delivers him some food, gives him a run down on what's happening, and watches him live. The time-stopped situation on Earth lasts longer than expected (it should have been a month or two, as it was outside of Earth, but is more accurately measured in Centuries), and the MC develops his body and inherent skills to insane degrees. Then humanity returns to Earth and time starts turning again.

Never Die Extra - MC reincarnates into the body of a video game character that they had become mildly obsessed with trying to get through the game with alive (there was no solution, only various failure points). The MC, after discovering this, starts obsessively developing himself in order to not die, while making everything he can about the situation around himself better. By the same author as Everyone Else is a Returnee.

Hero Without Blood Or Tear - The only Single Player VR Game Webnovel I know about. MC, who's at the top of the Achievements Leader Board for a game, wants to unlock the Good Ending to the game. Nobody, including himself, have yet succeeded, despite completing the game numerous times with the various characters. The game put out a special challenge competition, a role that they removed from the final game as it was basically hell mode, to those willing, and pretty much all the people on the Leader Board accepted... except the MC. The MC is, eventually, bullied by the internet into entering, which is where the story starts. This is... probably the story of how the MC achieved the Game's Good Ending, but the translations are nowhere near close enough for me to say definitively.

God Of Music - One of the first Returned To The Past To Be Great At X, stories. MC was a failed Music Producer, and then he died. A moment later, he had returned to 10 years in the past, with an additional power that made him better at telling if a song was going to be popular or not. He then proceeds to become a Godly Music Producer who can make anyone successful.

18. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link