Recommendations Looking for a novel where the MC is underestimated/acting from the shadows

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by azyzbs, Feb 11, 2020.

1. azyzbs

azyzbs Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I'm looking for a novel/fiction where the main character is basically a mob who, through his own merits, manages to be a major player in the world he lives in. "Own merits" means the bullshit lucky encounters must be kept to a minimum.
    I would like the mob MC to not immediately reveals his power to his surroundings but show glimpses of it here and there (I absolutely love the reactions from the others when they see the mob MC do things that he shouldn't be able to).
    Even after everyone realizes that he is a big deal, I would like the protagonist to avoid the "spotlight" of his world (that he avoid the eyes of the public basically, even if he hides under a secret identity). Kind of like Kim Hajin from the novel extra did.

The story can be on whatever website, Royalroad, wyattpad, webnovel.com, really whatever website.

Bonus point: if the romance (if there is one) is progressive (meaning that the protag and the love interests don't go directly from strangers to genuinly wanting to get married)

What I don't like and would like to avoid:
    -Stupid arrogant antagonists who do stupid shit and are evil just to make the protagonist look better (and there goes 99% of the xianxias)
    -Mary sue protagonists

For reference:
    -I absolutely loved the novel extra, Kim Hajin is basically the closest thing from my ideal mob protagonist. He has bullshit luck but I make an exception for him since his luck is special and self-assumed by the story.
    -I love To Be a Power in the Shadows, no need to explain why.
    -I love Isaac, the main character is really underestimated by the others and keep finding intelligent (as in actually intelligent) and hilarious schemes to overcome his hurdles.
    -I loved the first volume of It's tough being a friend, those who have read it can gues why i stopped liking it past that.
    -The World of Otome Games is Tough For Mobs, liked the first 3 or 4 volumes but not much after Leon started taking the spotlight
    -I didn't like Magical★Explorer, read up to chapter 20 or something and the main character is anything but a mob.

I know I have put a lot of conditions but do not get discouraged by them from recommending a novel. I know my ideal novel probably doesn't exist

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it meets your request but if you like To Be a Power in the Shadows then maybe: Tilea’s Worries

Otherwise, hmmm... maybe The Amber Sword ?

F.ninny likes this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There Was No Secret Organization to Fight with the World’s Darkness so I Made One (In Exasperation)

Divine Throne of Primordial Blood - the early chapters were great with the MC pretending he was still blind and the clever mad scientist personality but volume 5 went downhill when he became a full blown asshole.

Dungeon Defense - I love this novel. A weak MC has to rely on deception and manipulation in order to prevail against his foes even with bloodthirsty methods. The MC is batshit crazy and the females are batshit crazy

GlueGod likes this.
  4. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe...
    The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich, many people hate and fear mc(based on what he has did) but not everyone realize his "real" identity, he's a last boss material who act like a mob...
    As for avoid the spotlight, he really love scheme people from the background, because he is freakin weak compare to his enemy...

5. Avarco

Avarco Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both novels have MC's that actually worked for what they have and don't want to be in the spot light.
    Running Away From The Hero! - I think this fits into your criteria. Only a few people really know his worth.
    Mother of Learning- One of the best original novels I've ever read and the main charter is always trying to stay out of the spot light.

Edit: Lord of the Mysteries- I'm not sure but this might be close to what you want too

6. asi

asi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. KHA2

KHA2 wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Silent Crown

8. IzeeWeeb

IzeeWeeb Well-Known Member

Reading List: