Recommendations Looking for a novel with a calm, smart and rational MC...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by RoseDao, Sep 23, 2020.

1. RoseDao

RoseDao New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have read lots and lots of novel including English, Chinese and lately Korean. And since I read a lot, I'm quite picky with things I read.

There're many novels with hot-headed protagonists, who acts recklessly without thinking about the consequences and (luckily) win in the end. There're also those with arrogant MCs who always picky fight and underestimate other and thinks that anyone who gets in their way must die (mostly Chinese). Idk why but these 2 types seem very popular.

I prefer a more humble, smart and calm main characters. He may be weak but still rational and before he acts. Also, I'd rather read a novel without romance. I'm fine with love story or harem. But often, the girls drag MCs down. Like, they are kidnapped, taken hostage and MCs have to run around trying to help. Besides, I don't like people fall in love so fast. I read "I stack experience through writing books" (manhwa) and everytime MC sees new girls, he would blush and think she's beautiful even though he has a crush already (wtf??). So if the girls are smart or strong enough, helping the MCs rather than dragging them down, I'd gladly welcome.

In short, I'm looking for some nice novels that can satisfy my taste. I've been into Korean novels lately and think they has good MCs. Below are some novels (and manhwa) I already read:

1. Omniscient Reader's viewpoint: First Korean Novel I read. It gets a little confusing at the end b/c it includes many plot wrists and time loop but the story is nice and heart touching. Some said it's a BL but I think it's more like all x MC (lol). MC is not strong. But he can keep calm in every situations and always has plan B (though often him commit suicide)
    2. The s classes that I raised: My favorite. But the translation isn't completed yet so I drop it for now. Again, MC is not strong. Or rather weak. Still, he can keep calm and use his head. He's not as smart as MC in ORV but the plot and relationships with other characters seem interesting. I actually like the sub characters more than the MC (lol)
    3. Solo Leveling: I read manhwa ver first then move to novel. MC gets stronger everyday but not arrogance. He's actually care about other people and willing to help them but not trying to show off his power.
    4. Sovereign of Judgment: MC is a little different. He's all about fighting and not smart. But he's not stupid either. What I like about him is that he's very rational, a little ruthless and knows what he wants. Everything he does is only to help him to his goal and he doesn't care about anything else.
    5. The Second Coming of Gluttony: I enjoy MC's journey and personality in another world. But when he's on Earth, he seems pathetic. I also annoy with the harem. MC has relationship with many girls. But he act like he's clueless. For example, everyone can tell that the princess really like MC. Even the King suggest him being his son-in-law. But everytime the king brings it up, MC acts like he's joking (wth??). MC also has quite great luck.
    6. Return of the Legendary Hunter: Nice story. MC gets back in the past and tries to save the people he loves. As he lived once, he knows many tricks to get stronger and does everything to save the world. I don't like the female lead though. But it gets better in latter chapters.
    7. King of the battefield: Again, another isekai story. MC is not that smart but rational and tries his best to achieve his goal.
    There're some other manhwa that have rational MC like Second like ranker (has novel but I haven't got time to read), The beginning after the end, The descent of the demonic master, etc. Trash of the count's family seems famous too. I read a first few chaps but it seems really slow at the begin (mostly introducing characters and world setting) so I got bored and dropped. It has manhwa now so I'm looking forward to see if there's anything interesting.

So that what I read so far. If you know any other good novel that may suit may taste, please recommend. Thanks in advance

2. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Ling Tian - has harem, but not those damsel in distress types. the mc's harem is actually useful here, being the one who makes decisions when mc is "unavailable". mix reviews but when i tried reading it, it got me hooked so it's up to each person's taste.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  4. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Delerator, Haiku575 and The6thStreet like this.
  5. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
  6. The6thStreet

The6thStreet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  7. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Sss-class suicide hunter is exactly what you're searching for, my good fellow.
    Trash of the county's family too... Though the mc can get a bit too self-sacrificial at times but it's fun seeing everyone worry about him after that. But overall, it fits.
    Surprisingly, Atelier Tanaka, though it is a gag story most of the time

8. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't that axed? Had a rushed ending and all?

9. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "My Senior Brother is Too Steady"

This dude knows about the cultivation world very well (transmigration) and because of this, he became very paranoid. He tries to avoid any karma. He doesn't want to get involved in anything, because he knwos it could lead to potential trouble.
    Of course it is hard to avoid karma all the time ;)

He hides his real cultivation even from his master. He burns his cut off hair and finger nails (because of potential bs dao spells/voodo or other bs tracking magic). If he kills an enemy, he destroys him completely in body and soul. He even distributes the burned ashes of his enemy, so no one can find even small amount of the ashes. He doesn't want to leave any evidence.
    He doesn't plan 1 or 2 steps ahead. He plans 10 steps ahead and on top of that, there is also plan b, c and d with another 10 steps ;D

I bet, there is no more humble, steady, smart and calm mc than this mc in the entire novel world :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Jojofann likes this.
  10. Hiimin

Hiimin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Fuzed

Fuzed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My novel, Occidendum, has a calm, mature and intelligent protagonist who loves to scheme against his enemies and outsmart them.

The story is set in a world where assassination is legal, so the plot is pretty unique.

Here's a link:

Occidendum

If you decide to give it a read, please let me know what you think. ;) And if you like it, subbing and liking the episodes helps greatly! Have fun reading!
    [​IMG]

12. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My house of horror

13. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it wasn't axed.
    It does have a bit of rushed ending but author has promised a second book.
    Ending is not too bad though.

14. EllaRiverLynx

EllaRiverLynx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries - someone already said this but I wanna put more details

- MC is super cautious, he has a goal: But in order to do so he had to investigate how. But in order to reach that kind of info, he had to have power. But power invites trouble so he had to be constantly careful and become strong without getting himself killed in the process.
    - He tries to be lowkey because of above reasons. Not arrogant either.
    - He has plans A, B and C and isnt perfect. , but you as a reader since you've been with MC for a while at this point, you also tend to expect what else he is planning, it's not a miraculous ~hello out of the blue superpower~ kind of thing.
    - He's not a genius but because he keeps on investigating, his knowledge broadens and he becomes more clever later on.
    - Also intelligent and imperfect (but never stupid) big villains. (Some small ones are careless)
    - Every battle is worthy of live adaptation. Idk how else to describe them lol

sungjinwoo likes this.
  15. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    The Last Science

17. jad14661

jad14661 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk about this one, the beginning part is really hard to stomach, he gets his entire life ruined by this one girl and then at the end he finds out she was forced to do it and then he feels bad for her lol

18. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  19. RoseDao

RoseDao New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks. I look for the reviews and the first one seems interesting. will try it :)

20. RoseDao

RoseDao New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank ya all. I just read some that you guys suggest and they are pretty good. Will try to read all of them to see if there’re anything great.

Fuzed likes this.