Question Looking for advice about novel planning

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by KuroKohai, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KuroKohai

KuroKohai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For novel authors and fanfiction writers. Do you recommend drawing out a map of your "world" with pointers describing what happens in a region.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that there is a fixed rule kind of thing for things like that, but it is a good idea to keep pointers

Anra7777 likes this.
  3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You never attach anything to any given region. You attach plot points to plot points to create a coherent story. The nowflake method works pretty well for newbies and veterans alike.

4. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to write skeleton of your plot. Otherwise you could hit roadblock where you need deus ex machina to solve it.

5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it’s different for every person. For me, the more I world build, the harder it is to write an actual story. I just find the world building more fun. I have about three fully fleshed out original worlds I have tried and failed to turn into stories because I lost all enthusiasm for the story. I may try again someday.

So, generally, I get an idea and I may wait a few months, I may start writing right away, and I just write.

Now, granted, my stories end up taking twists and turns I in no way expected all the time, but I’m generally pretty satisfied with the results. Would they be even better if I had world built first? Probably, but then the story would likely never have gotten written in the first place.

6. G_Alejandro_L

G_Alejandro_L Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s good to have one especially if you’re new to book writing. It can help you form plot points further down the road or even to help get started. Personally I’ve been at a spot in plotting where I realized I had no goal or ending but after looking at the resources I created (including the map) I came up with so much lore and other details that became the story.

Of course, not everyone can do it like this but I encourage you to find and try as many methods as you can. What you do and don’t do to plot your novel shouldn’t be a checklist and always remember that no matter what you try, it can only help the process because it keeps you thinking.