Recommendations Looking for cultivation novels what deconstruct they genre

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by omegadir, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ajk12

ajk12 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think some principals of cultivation novels limit their potenial and make them repetitive and almost alike like cutting roots,cant keep treasure except with having more strengh and gaining enlignment under heavy preasure etc..
    somehow i wonder that mc can't learn math except when counting his enemies (heavy preasure) .
    These elemnts is fun when present moderately but give negative results when becoming the absolute rules.
    If you approve of my opinion you woud definently like Tales of Herding Gods

2. LolMania

LolMania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Deconstruction novels, i am very interested, sadly I think some fellows readers recommended wrong genres, I see exactly opposite of deconstruction in some, I will come again when I finish reading through these treasures

3. Tsago

Tsago Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read the novel but I watched the drama adaptation. And for me, it really is one of the best parody on cultivation and other clichés. The humor is just top-notch.

4. DiXanthos

DiXanthos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only saw like the first part of the first episode, and while it was certainly funny, it cut many good moments of the novel... which I haven't finished, but I'm like at the middle. (Thanks for reminding me). So far, though, the novel has been a good blast. Some parts are somewhat cliche, but a vast majority are simply ridiculously good as the MC (or his female master) derail everything towards pure insanity.

My Senior Brother is too Steady could be another good recommendation for Omegadir. Although I haven't completed that one too. :p

It's set in Primordial Times, where being an immortal was still being an ant in the grand scheme of things & the Heavenly Courts were being established. The protagonist is a hidden badass... who wants to remain hidden and safe & don't get involved in anything dangerous.

However, circumstances force his hands to act, but he will try EVERYTHING to remain a mosquito in the eyes of the world, and give the merit to fictional personas he develops or to his Toxic Sister. Thus, in his paranoia (although, can it be called that when the world is that dangerous?), develops dozens upon dozens of schemes & countermeasures including ways to act at a distance through proxies, disguises, camouflage with the truth, camouflage with the "truth", killing arrays, confusing arrays, karma avoiding and flawless assassination procedures, poison & knock-out pills that can affect immortals, reincarnation plans for his enemies, convoluted Dao Oaths & plans within plans, etc.

As for side-characters, they are many and they're good. And so far, they do not get forgotten when changing arcs.

A Will Eternal is another I would recommend. That one I have completed. It's a little closer to a "normal" cultivation story as you describe and was written by the same author of I Shall Seal the Heavens. However, it's much more comedic.

The protagonist, Bai Xiaochun, is insane. He fears death A LOT (for good reasons that are revealed a bit into the first book) and thus wants to cultivate immortality to avoid it. And preferably, in peace & at the side of friends & family. Sadly the world will teach him a lesson that not all things can't be obtained with violence...

... or a lot of humorous antics. :p Half the novel is then battles as you will expect of a "normal" cultivation novel; the other half are events that can simply be described as absurd comedy (the kind that will make you fall of your seat and laugh until your stomach hurts). Let's just say people who get acquainted with Bai Xiaochun respect his strength, but FEAR his other talents.

This is not apparent for the first 60 or so chapters - until that point, it's a mostly normal cultivation story with a bit of a chuckle here & there. However, at the point Bai returns to his sect & tries his hand at alchemy... "The Earth Shook and Heaves Wept. Madness & Chaos Ensued. The Talking Rabbit made his appearance. The Elder who believed himself a bird came. Explosions, explosions as far the eyes can see. A zombie, no that's just a minor experiment. A thousand snakes for your problems, fellow Daoist. Or do want to mate with a dog? And Bai Xiaochun will say "I'm sure my alchemy won't cause weird problems this time", only to cause AN EVEN BIGGER PROBLEM than last time".

And that's not counting his other... unusual approaches with dealing with situations ("Are you addicted to kidnapping?! WHY! JUST WHY!").

:p