Recommendations Looking for...Slice of Life

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Slimikyi, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, looking for novels that are in the "Slice of Life" genre. I don't care if it's Chinese, Japanese, or even originally English. Translated works are preferred; untranslated can be recommended and I'll try to sort through them.

I prefer no "Harem", nor "Yaoi". There can be two, or at most three, love interests but I really don't want a harem.

Here are a few that I totally enjoyed:
    Seiun wo kakeru (Dashing through the Blue Sky)
    Takarakuji de 40 Oku Atattandakedo Isekai ni Ijuu Suru (I Won 4 Billion in a Lottery But I Went to Another World)
    Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki (A Certain Middle-Aged Man’s VRMMO Activity Log)
    Guild no Cheat na Uketsuke-jou (The Guild’s Cheat Receptionist)

I'm not sure if the Receptionist is really a "Slice of Life", but as of two chapters, it's rather similar to the "mundane lifestyle" of an Guild's Receptionist. It could turn into a normal adventure type novel. But I'll leave it as is for now.

What I don't get is how is Ark under the "Slice of Life" genre? Well, I suppose it can be but I'll just simply say that is not the kind of "Slice of Life" I'm looking for, nor is A Step into the Past. They just don't feel like a slice of life. Not sure if I'm explaining myself right or not.

2. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    Death March. Its slice of life, cooking, and with a side of OPness

Parth37955 and Slimikyi like this.
  3. SeiraJLoyard

SeiraJLoyard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Sense Online is one that I consider as slice of life, the mc does things at his own pace and you follow along as you read about his experience in the game

marcelovelos and Slimikyi like this.
  4. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    recently plot-kun has finally showed up. He had to crawl out of a summoning gate but he's finally here. However Death March is a harem (in a way). He only really like one girl though...

Slimikyi likes this.
  5. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem? Well, if he only really likes one, then that isn't so bad. I don't mind it as much if it's a single love interest with bees swarming. I dunno, I just find that a full harem throws the "Slice of Life" genre away and just become a soap opera or something. I don't really know what I'm saying, lol.

6. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Risou no Himo Seikatsu is also along those lines. It's something of a political romance in another world.

I was going to say Lazy Dungeon Master it's a dungeon master story but it feels slice of life-y to me. It might also technically be harem I don't know. I read what was there and I think it could still go either way. I'm probably being too optimistic though, it's a Japanese novel set in a fantasy world.

I second OSO. It's similar to ossan, I like the start of OSO more, but then it drifts from the things I'm interested in. Could also be consider harem in a way.

I'm re-reading The Man Picked Up by the Gods. I don't know whether it goes into harem territory though. Probably does.

I think Magicraft Meister is harem but I'm not clear on that. It's similar to seiun and lottery from what I remember.

I know I say I'm not sure if a lot of these are harems, but this is for the most part because the last time I read them they hadn't fully stepped on to that path, but part of me expects them to (Y'know cause Japanese novel set in a fantasy world = harem most of the time). OSO is on the borderline of a harem, but as it's set in VR and the mc is playing a female avatar, there hasn't been a ton of romance, and the male:female character ratio is 4:6 or 3:7 ... yeah, make that call for yourself.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Slimikyi likes this.
  7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Well he's cursed with being surrounded by lolis. It's a good slice of life though.

8. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read Other world Dining Hall? It's not slice of life, but it has that peaceful, lovable feel that you find in slice of life.

Slimikyi and Sinvin like this.
  9. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if I would consider Andur's works on RRL slice of life or not, but they are decently close to it at least. I feel like the main character is surrounded by female characters but at the same time there is clearly only one romantic partner. Basically if a harem doesn't require that the harem members actually have a romantic/sexual interest in the mc for you to consider it a harem then Andur's works are, otherwise they aren't.

I get that harems suck, but it really clears out so many of the titles that it almost isn't funny.

Ah, I've never read other world dining hall, but somehow I'm under the impression it's somewhat similar to The Bathroom Goddess. Basically a woman's Bathroom window becomes a dimensional window on occasion and she helps the people from the other world out by trading with them.

As Bathroom Goddess made me think of Oniichanyamete as it's hosted there, I suggest you also check out Jashin/Evil God/Cthulu Average. It's something of a slice of life story and it's completely translated.

Slimikyi likes this.
  10. SeiraJLoyard

SeiraJLoyard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Man Picked up by the Gods is also a pretty good slice of life one
    A Slight Smile is Very Charming is a short slice of life one that's very fluffy and sweet. it starts off a in game but gradually it progresses to outside the game

Slimikyi likes this.
  11. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh Parth, I'm interested in that piece of information... can you spoil me about who that girl is? I've been stacking chapters since volume 8 and it wasn't that clear by then...
    My best guess would be Lulu maybe? Or did he fall in love with Zena after they reunited?

Slimikyi likes this.
  12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Aze-san, busty and clumsy high elf, however I don't know about the future much. right now, I know that he definitely likes Aze-san

Slimikyi and Arua like this.
  13. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh isn't that the High Priestess from the Elf village or something? The one who was hiding behind some kind of loli illusion at first? I see... that's actually expected from a guy like Satou ahaha...
    Thanks!

Slimikyi likes this.
  14. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Srly hope satou breaks the loli curse he's under. Satou isn't a lolicon!

Slimikyi and Arua like this.
  15. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... the closest one I can think of which might match your interests are Man Picked Up by the Gods and Only Sense Online mentioned above. Evil God Average might be a good alternative. The Saint's Recovery Magic is a Degraded Version of Mine, Gifting this Wonderful World with Blessings and In a Different World with a Smartphone are also fantasy slice-of-life-ish, but come with harems (somewhat similar to Death March). The New Gate and What Came to Mind in my Third Time in Another World might be worthwhile too... essentially they're stories about former heroes who completed their heroic adventures and now just want to enjoy life.

There are also a number of school life stories which resemble slice-of-life stories, starting with Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, and Baka to Test, and Like Hell I'm Gonna Get Captured!

And of course, there are slice-of-life josei romances, like Really Really Miss You, A Slight Smile is Very Charming (mentioned earlier), and Come and Eat Shan Shan!

Slimikyi likes this.
  16. Fragments of Shadows

Fragments of Shadows [The Broken One] [Chaser of Tales] [Hungry Ghost]

Reading List:
    Link
    Other world dining hall is nice I'll second that recommendation.

You could also try Ryouriban which is also about cooking but for a mercenary corps.

On the same website UchiMusume should qualify but both of those still have less than 15 chapters translated. It's about an adventurer who finds a young demon girl in a dangerous forest and decides to adopt her and take her home with him.

Some people recommended things over on oniichanyamete but I didn't see Kenkyo Kenjitsu mentioned so I'll throw it out there. It's from a girl's perspective who's been reincarnated into an Otome game. Most series with that premise have slice of life elements but this one seems more laid back than others I've read. Though if you like it you might look into other Otome series.

Counter Stop might also qualify but I haven't read past the second arc yet so I don't know about later chapters. Also from a girl's perspective but not a reincarnation just an OP girl trying to live a normal life in a RPG type world.

Dragon Life is a slice of life from a dragon girl's perspective but it also doesn't have more than 20 chapters translated so again I don't really know about the later chapters.

Slimikyi likes this.
  17. nEoQuIcKsiLvEr

nEoQuIcKsiLvEr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sendai Yuusha wa Inkyou Shitai - Preceding Hero returns to back to a land he saved again. He already saved the world, so he leaves it to the new heroes to fight against the demons while he goes off and becomes an adventurer and do all the things he couldn't do when he was the Hero.