Looking for some help with plot progression

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Downtain, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Downtain

Downtain Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So as the title suggest, I am needing help with plot progression. I am writing an Isekai style story where the character was killed by a god due to the gods mistake and is reincarnated in another world.

The main character was given the option to choose the type of world he was reincarnated into and was offered to receive 5 things from the god that reincarnated him.

I wanted to go a route similar to that of the "In another world with my smartphone" series in that the MC has the potential to become god, similar to one like Kami in the aforementioned series in that he rules over his own universe later on.

The god which resurrected the MC is more of a hands off type of person, in that he wishes for the MC to learn how to control his current power through experience in his new world before being granted more power by said god.

I'm thinking I will need to rewrite the main character so that he is not quite as over powered from the start so that there is room for more detailed progression as I feel he is far to over powered from the start but would like feed back from everyone that is willing to give it.

If you could please read what I have written so far and then share your feedback that would be great. Here is the link: click here to read

2. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a good method is to make him a future god of a certain aspect and not of the whole world, this way he can be OP and still require the help of people with skills outside his aspect

Downtain likes this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, I think you should make the protagonist 'Kaito' ask for abilities similar to MMORPG character since he likes playing and designing, for example:
    1. Ability to see (inspect/appraise) things (including people and monsters) and change their stats and abilities (you can add something like what he could see and do is limited by his level or the level of the said skill)
    2. Ability to access the internet (an online store to buy things from for example)
    3. To be an all rounder and/or levels up X times the norm and maybe steal the defeated monsters/opponents abilities and stats if you want
    4. Immunity to all diseases and vulnerabilities (like all poisons)
    5. Storage dimension (it is a basic thing to demand)

Downtain likes this.
  4. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd take a step back and look at what type of setting you want the world to have, anything unique about it? When you consider that, you can then consider skills that you can give the mc to better integrate into the world. Gives something more to relate to rather than trying to blindly brainstorm.

5. DalangTala

DalangTala Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So here are the keypoints that I got:
    • A god made a mistake and killed him accidentally
    • Because of that he was given the advantage to choose where he will reincarnate and have freedom to hoose 5 skills that he thinks will help him
    Given that points I have a few ideas that might help you in the form of questions:
    • What if it's not the first time that the alleged god made a mistake?
    • What if there are other people, probably antagonists, given the same or even better advantages?
    • What if MC chose the advantages that may not necessarily be helpful in his new world as he expected? Will he bridge the gap and make it work? Can he prove that he can think outside the box and use that seemingly unnecessary skill for his benefit?
    • Or what if he don't know the full details or situation regarding the world he chose to reincarnate? A problem arises that forces him to grow?
    • What if the world is not as he expected?
    That's all the questions that I could think of. As a summary, to progress the plot, the MC should be thrown out of his comfort zone a.k.a. give him a problem. Have him face a conflict that will help the plot to progress. It's always up to the author what kind of conflict the MC will face.
    I hope this helps.

P.S.: Idk why I gave an advice despite having troubles with plot progression as well. I'm writing a slice of life story and have a rough sketch of the plot and conflict. But as I write, more details and ideas are being born and it didn't help much that I wrote them without much consideration... It's all fun but the plot... Where's my plot?

Downtain likes this.
  6. Downtain

Downtain Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this idea, I feel like I could use this as a goal to have occur within the first book (have him become the worlds god of magic for example; so he would begin to reintroduce the method to cast without chants, teach new spells to people, etc..)

So he already progresses faster than others as well as having a storage dimension, I had not thought about the other things though.

I like these questions, thank you. While you're having troubles in the plot progression yourself, you have provided me with questions which I had not considered myself, so it was a help.

7. Clars

Clars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (Taking hints from above)
    • You could make the GOD confess that they made a mistake . the MP can be a selfish pErson who help others in return of profits....hence the god thinks it is somehow a good mistake as they can give MP powers in return of him working for them...like the previous post said...... the antagonist are also given some super powers as a compensation and hence they made the world hell ...hence MP is set off by the gods to fix it and kill the villain...
    • You could make the MP seemingly normal guy who can't stands the sight of dead people and blood and stuff ... but after certai events when he kills someone from the villain's side under the pressure ...he feels like he likes the sight of blood on the knife and that there is a psycho side of him...serial killer type but not too intense
    • You could give him contractive personality...like he wants attention..but knows that attention is short lived and hence tries to talk rationality into himself .....you could give him places and situations like he puts his trust into wrong people as he once regretted not trusting someone properly who meant him good and this leads to a gain to villain...
    • You could always make him attractive towards investigations and hence he tries to think like a criminal.....
    • If you want something else to be the destroyer of the story and if god never made a mistake like such before...you could still make the god a bit child like, hyper , irresponsible or way too adult and you can always a mix of these two in ratios as you want .
    • You can always have him to be biased towards the truth and make him way too justified that he ends up blaming wrong people ...
    • You can always have him experience a war which he is not a part of ...and he sees a parent or an elder die which reminds him of himself and his family and hence he helps that family and from there he takes them on as his own family .....
    • He could also be an atheist..doesn't believe in go din his real world and when he dies he curses them too ..saying how the hell can you be irresponsible and stuff
    • If you are adding romantic stuff...you can have him have a lover in his real world and after he reincarnates ..he is sad and misses her a lot and scolds himself for letting her suffer and thinking how it can be killing her day by day........
    • You could also always mix all the ideas known and try to make a new one ....
    • An reincarnation in different world is hard to write ...so wish you luck