Question Looking for some who can help me || translations // permissions.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 257725, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 257725

Deleted member 257725 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi!

Maybe it is quite an unusual thread, but I hope someone can help me. :sushi_help:

I've been a quite obsessed with Chinese novels for the last few months and I would like to start to translate some of my favorites. Although my native language is not English I can understand English very well, but there are still people who can not understand or understand just basics. I would like to make these stories available for them in their native language via translation (from English version), but I do not want to start translate without permissions of original authors (contact an English translator for permission to translate his/her version is not problem for me as I can speak English).

Most my favorite novels are on jjwxc.net. Website is completely in Chinese, so as non-Chinese speaking person I am completely lost there and even with google page translator I couldn't find any contact on them. And here is my questions:

Is there any need of having account on jjwxc.net to be able to contact them or there is some another page where I can contact these authors?​

Or is there someone who already have account here and would be so kind to help me to contact original authors?
    Thank you in advance if someone will reply! :aww:

2. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    better to just translate without contacting the author, as most of the times they don't have any right to give permission.....just translate the novels and stop if they dcma you...except if you want to buy the copyright....

3. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is, are you going to MTL??? Seeing that you're not Chinese and a non-Chinese speaking person... MTL is no joke, it's horrible and horrifying, so if you're just going to use google translate or something, please don't translate. That's a curse on readers...
    And grammar and wording/vocabulary is really important. Readers even rate good novels lower just because of bad translation/bad grammar.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it's easier that way, but there's another way to go about it.
    You can contact the author, they'll set you up with their editor if they like the translating idea.
    It's better if you're in a group of translators, ones with established sites and some prestige.
    The editor can hand over the translating right to you and then the author and you both get to earn some moola.
    You don't have to buy the copyright that way.
    Lots of people who translate from jjwxc use this method. Although sometimes it's just the author that okays it.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Please don't call MTL translation. It's fan fiction.
    It is a lot worse than you think especially since both languages are not from the same origin: Latin.

Google Translate of Chinese was so bad that they stole from a Chinese machine translating company.

You can go right ahead with your fanfiction

JJWXC is a company. Unless you are a company, contacting them is pointless and even stupid.

Would you contact Microsoft for permission to let your friends borrow your Windows Installation CD?

6. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just take a look if the author stated her works are on jjwxc only, then it's better not to touch them at all. Although I tl some because they didn't specify not open for translating to other language (orz) anyway I always put original link where they could buy the raws and buy raws myself.
    if the author aren't chinese, say, Taiwanese, and they have fb, chances are greater to be okayed, I've got a green signal to tl one work as long as I dont sell the works and it's not for commercial purposes. so unless they requested it to be taken down generally they kept being tl ed.

7. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you can leave anonymous message on every ch, I think. or idk if you have to sign in first

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.