Looking for someone to port a eBook into a DOC/PDF/TXT file

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Burai1992, Feb 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Burai1992

Burai1992 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy (early) Valentines Day! I'm looking for someone to port this 2-part eBook ( https://tinyurl.com/ybwq4eyw ) ( https://tinyurl.com/y8luvu8o ) into a DOC/PDF/TXT file so I can give the DOC/PDF/TXT file to a Korean translator so they can translate the entire book into English.

(Because honestly, I wanted this book translated for over 2 years now and I want someone to help me out so I can finally get this over with! Mainly due to the fact that I operate like a protagonist in a Fighting Shonen)

2. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    Download calibre, easy af to do it yourself. Really simple program to learn as well

3. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Um... funny story actually, this 2-part eBook ( https://tinyurl.com/ybwq4eyw ) ( https://tinyurl.com/y8luvu8o ) that I want converted into a DOC/PDF/TXT file unfortunately costs $13.80

4. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Have been wanting it translated for over 2 years now and there's still no such luck...

6. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so someone should buy it for you
    spend the time to convert it and send it to you - for you to get a translation of it ?
    why should anyone do that ?

Solus and qpzmal like this.
  7. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I have been wanting it translated for over 2 years now and there's still no such luck...

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might want to update the title of the thread to include the fact that, in addition to merging and converting two ebooks, you also want someone to buy the books for you. This is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while.

Solus, c.decora, qpzmal and 3 others like this.
  9. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there's a reason why I want someone to buy the eBooks for me, I unfortunately live in a poverty-filled neighborhood...

10. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and your korean translator works for free ? normally buying the books would be the cheapest part
    as your translator might spend several 100 hours of work to translate the books

qpzmal likes this.
  11. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a korean translator.

12. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. So you can put the file through google translate. Now it makes sense.

qpzmal likes this.
  13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I retract my last post. This isn't one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a while. It's the dumbest.

Having the book professionally translated would cost in excess of $10,000. If you can't afford $10 for the books, how are you going to get it translated? Even simple web novels are unintelligible with machine translation. An actual book would be even worse.

Was your plan to have someone buy you the book and then make another thread asking for someone to pay for the translation?

c.decora, qpzmal and Ral like this.
  14. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    >Was your plan to have someone buy you the book and then make another thread asking for someone to pay for the translation?

Well excuse me! It's not my fault that I unfortunately live in a poverty-filled neighborhood

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a millionaire, but I'm not poor either. I certainly can't casually drop $10k for something as frivolous as having someone translate an 1,100 page book for me.

What I'm criticizing is your lack of a plan. Your current plan is:
    1. Obtain book
    2. ???
    3. Profit
    If you find a translation group that's willing to translate the novel, I'm happy to donate $15 to the cause. I'm not going to burn my money on buying you a book that you can't read and can't afford to have translated.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    qpzmal likes this.
  16. Deleted member 193678

Deleted member 193678 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What's so special about the book? Just curious.

17. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    >If you find a translation group that's willing to translate the novel, I'm happy to donate $15 to the cause.

So I managed to find a translation group that will translate the entire novel for me ( https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...-year-62-비명을-찾아서-경성-쇼우와-62년.4511/#post-113694 ) but the guys on their forum rejected it and said "You'll have better luck at NovelUpdates" in other words they said I'd have "better luck" at were my 2-year-long neverending hell started, which to me is like saying "If you want to stop sexual harassment, you should be BFFs with a serial rapist!". Can you please tell me how ask a Novel Translation Group to translate a novel the right way?

18. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    So what you're saying is you didn't find a group at all...

Anyway, there is no magical formula to have a group pick up a series for free. If there was, everybody would use it.
    Ultimately, a group will always pick a series they like/think will be popular, etc.

c.decora and qpzmal like this.
  19. Burai1992

Reading List:
    Link
    >Ultimately, a group will always pick a series they like/think will be popular, etc.

If that's the case, why the fuck hasn't everybody I asked translated it into English, if the book itself is already a best-seller in it's native country (Korea)?

It's an Anti-Japanese Korean Propaganda Novel that takes place in an Alternate Timeline where An Jung-geun failed to assassinate Ito Hirobumi which lead to the Japanese Empire never becoming an Axis Power in WWII (Also, apparently in this Alternate Timeline, WWII took place from AD 1942 to AD 1947 instead of AD 1939 to AD 1945), America committing a nuclear genocide on Nazi Germany instead of Japan (Thanks to the Pacific War never happening) (Which lead to Germany never being spilt in half by the U.K. and Soviet Russia, as well as the Berlin Wall never being built), half of China getting spilt in half ever since the Cold War instead of Korea (With North China becoming Communist China (Capital: Beijing), South China becoming Nationalist China (Capital: Nanjing), and Manchuria becoming independent from China), any chances of the Belgian Empire, the British Empire, the Dutch Empire, the French Empire, the Japanese Empire, the Portuguese Empire, America, and Spain's respective colonies ever becoming independent officially being completely far past fucked (Thanks to the Pacific War never happening), and all of Korea's Post-WWII achievements getting completely robbed by the Japanese Empire.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2021
  20. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a bestseller in Korea doesn't mean being popular outside it.
    Actually, being a bestseller might be worse. Korea cracks down hard on piracy, so picking too high profile novels is just asking for trouble.

And just because you like the premise doesn't mean the translator will. And believe me, nobody wants to work on something they don't like, if they can help it.

Raspbeer, qpzmal and Sabruness like this.