Which Chapter Looking for Tales of Herding Gods Chapter

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by J-Mitch, Sep 22, 2019.

1. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi Guys!

Does anyone know what chapter Tales of Herding Gods was at before Web Novel locked them?

I had initially stopped reading the novel because they locked a bunch of chapters that were formally free. But it was an OK novel and I'm thinking to return. Just want to know what was the last free-ish chapter before they started locking.

If I recall correctly, the MC went to another realm looking for clues to his real family? Maybe a moon ship was involved.

2. GingerWyrm

GingerWyrm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first locked chapter is 147, I don't know if that has changed since the story first went premium

3. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might check out around Chapters 236 & 237, they involve Carefree Village and the moonship.

J-Mitch likes this.
  4. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks.

5. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to say that this is a great series and highly underrated but if you plan to catch up I will warn you that the TL has decided to move on do to wanting to go further and life and Qidian pay not being sufficient enough to put off gaining further education. The TL said that they'd take a 2 day break and continue translating up till november but its already been 4 to 5 days without posts.

J-Mitch likes this.
  6. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, thanks for letting me know. This was a great novel, but I thibk QI handled it wrong when they locked chapters that were formerly unlocked. That's what had my leaving for a long time. I wish the TLer well.

7. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    They do that from time to time, personally I think that its a glitch that happens every few updates, the app and site have gone through a lot of updates and personal history / purchases could have been erased. I buy alot of chapters (via spirit stones) in advance when I read novels so its happened to me more than once but I wouldn't say it's excessive. But you might be referring to something else. I think I remember when they started ad blocking all the novels and finally went true paywall alot of people had problems with it and even NU stop updating their novels. Be it Webnovel no uploading them or NU not I don't really remember. Either way, their are alot of good novels like TOHG if you ignore the occasional dumbassory by Qi then i'm sure you'll have a good time

8. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was speaking when they brought up the true paywall. They paywalled formerly free chapters and I was like, "I have to pay now?" If it was not formerly free, I would have probably stuck with it.

To your point about bugs, it happens all the time for one to three of the novels I read. Kingdom Bloodline novel for example. I end up unlocking chapters only to realize I had already read it. It's happened to me at least six or seven times. Probably more since I used to not pay it any mind. And they cost a lot of spirit stones since they are long chapters. It's upsetting and quite odd that considering the specific novels it happens on.

Another thing I noticed that happens is novels go on auto-unlock quite often when I have never set it to auto-unlock. I'm quite skeptical since the unlock features use javascript/ajax to check if you've already unlocked a chapter and so there is a delay. I could go to a chapter that was already unlocked and it says locked. If I refresh, then it shows up as unlocked after 2-3s. I can't say for sure, but I'm suspicious given what happens in the previous paragraph, that auto-unlocks, in this case, are lowering my spirit stones on chapters I already unlocked.

Out of so many cases, I've only seen an error show up once where the system says "chapter already unlocked".

9. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I use the mobile app and am not clear on the technical aspects of how it works but yeah I have had chapters unlock on me and there is this persistent bug of when I scroll to many chapters at once, say I've accidentally scrolled back a few hundred chapters before closing the book and didn't bother to correct it. the next time i open it to skip uptill where i left off and unlock it, when i reach the end of my chapter and try to go to the next it'll send me back to that same chapter i'd just skipped away from.

To be honest I've purchased Spirit Stones once or twice but it was a complete waste of my money I realized. I saw that people were creating alt accounts to get around paying money. I only read 30 to 60 chapters a day and the SS rewards from Check-ins and ads would more than cover a few chapters if i created 6 or so accounts. Which I did. The paywall basically doesn't exist for me I just have to tediously watch a few ads and Qi has earned money from me like it wanted. I won't be supporting TenCent and it's attempt to siphon money out of me by giving me shitty things. I have numerous complaints about the site and quality of things as is. Nationalism, racism, word filler, the fact that they don't have regulations on what is safe to distribute outside of their country on their INTERNATIONAL platform. I usually just avoid all that propaganda and bias but I still call bullshit. They have a hack of a voting system as well. I give them props though. It used to be choose either a male or female lead now its one each. PROBLEM though is that voting basically has no value. Whatever is listed to come next is 98% due to come next.

I can go on about whats wrong with Qi but its still the best site to get my fix. they have tons of shit on their site but there are hidden gems. I won't be paying a dime for them though

10. J-Mitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. I pay though. There are good novels which I don't mind supporting. Lord of Mysteries and House of Horrors for example. I'm too lazy to create and handle alt accounts.

And I don't use their app. I honestly... I don't trust it. I can imagine what problems youve faced though.

And yes, people have shown me stories where a hundred or so chapters in, the author is clearly racist. And if WN approves this, it begs the question. Is WN run by racist peeps? And am I giving money to them? Or are they just not reading the novels and only know the stats on their domestic site?

What do you mean by regulations on what is safe distribute outside?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  11. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read Lord of Mysteries, stopped though seemed there wouldn't be any time skip anytime soon and so much had happened that all the none stop plot with no dowmtime actually got boring.

House of horrors i actually really enjoy but needed time away from, plan to pick it up again soon.

By regulations and outside distribution I mean by how they let clearly racist and nationalistic novels through without filter. Its their job to make their reading environment friendly for all since its their international branch.

I get why they are nationalistic and I get that the Chinese have had problems with Japanese, White people and look down on black people for the color of their skin (which goes against their ascetic sense of beauty) and because of depiction in media and the fact that a lot of Africans are doing low class jobs in china and China even sends aid to Africa. A lot of Asian countries are homogeneous and aren't exposed to other countries so I will understand if some slightly insensitive stuff gets through. But I've seen novels go on extensive rants discriminating against races for no reason or just finding an excuse to boast about China to appeal to its country men.

If this is what you have to rely on to boost appeal to your novel instead of relying on its quality then your novel wasn't up to standard in the first place and it most assuredly shouldn't make it through to the international platform that Webnovel has set-out to be.

I don't believe WN is run by racist just that they aren't yet acclimated to the international mind set. The way they distribute this kind of propaganda just reinforces the beliefs that people have on china. I had similar beliefs before starting to read Chinese novels and refused to do so up till I started being disgusted by Japanese novels. The real reason I'm not giving them money is because I don't want to give them any direct funds to support them when they clearly aren't listening to the voice of their audience. They make tons of changes to their site itself to make it user friendly but they have yet to adjust their methods of actually making sure the quality of the works they present are up to snuff. Even some translators are just trash that use MTL and slightly edit it.