Recommendations Looking for "woke" MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Demintika, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a MC who can realize how the world setting is illogical, unnatural, full of BS; somehow learn to warp reality with his mind and eventually find out they are in a novel.
    • "Daos" are just some empty words that only sounds good to the sheepie
    • "Ancient is good" is illogical as everything are supposed to develop and evolve with time
    • "Power system" is unnatural and was obviously designed by human (author)

After reading the last three novels by my most favorite author, 魔性沧月, all other novels suddenly become tasteless to me.
    All MC eventually talked with the author and "ascended" beyond the novel at the end.
    • 非人类基因统合体
    • 脑洞大爆炸: MC alters reality permanently at the cost of energy and randomly creating an SCP.
    • 蓝白社: MC's ability called "Absolute Bullseye", anything he "shots" will absolutely reaches its destination, ignoring all physical laws, logic or reality.
    • 信息全知者: MC can read absolutely ALL information about absolutely EVERYTHING

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    MrSplashy, Nusan and LollipoPReapeR like this.
  2. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you name one of such novels here on nu? I got really interested.

3. Idiot

Idiot Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. LollipoPReapeR

LollipoPReapeR Frequent visitor of the Yellow Springs Resort

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Demintika

Demintika Dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    I read raw so... Anyway, edited the original post to name those three.

Nusan likes this.
  6. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think that you could say that "cheating men should die" is this type of book?
    i can't really find exactly what you are looking for but close thing in my opinion is "Ore no Negai wa" and maybe "novel extra" since main character is author of the book that is the base of the world...

7. devilmaycry1

devilmaycry1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does 'FFF-class trash hero' count?

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  8. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Except that primal aspid on hollow knight. Their descendant are just fodder for your soul, but the primal took more live from you like no mobs ever. And also human

For novel tho, try "weakest job blacksmith is actually the strongest"

9. Xxsafirex

Xxsafirex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lv 999 villager i suppose ?

Demintika likes this.
  10. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    The strongest cultivation system,ending is mc knocking the.author.out.and.rewriting the story.

11. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Except civilization had resets all the time.

12. protagplotarmor

protagplotarmor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Rogel17

Rogel17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Says a human who lives in a world whose law can be described by mere numbers

Dotencsure, MrSplashy and 01 like this.
  15. Malgnad

Malgnad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Master Disconnected Yet Again
    The main character points out a lot of the inconsistencies in the world she's in. One example is talking about expiration dates for ancient cultivation pills

Demintika likes this.
  16. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    These don't involve being in a novel, but they are about MCs figuring out and going around the System.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/31837/everybody-here-is-a-cultivation-idiot - MC learns what those messages meant
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37231/a-lonely-dungeon - this can be considered the prequel where the dungeon core discovers what happened
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11209/the-legend-of-randidly-ghosthound - rage against the machine, use it to bring it down
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37269/immortal-conqueror - bored immortal transported to a new universe to save it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Demintika likes this.
  17. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. cherryblossomsinsummer

cherryblossomsinsummer The Midnight Sun

Reading List:
    Link
    The Villain Has Something to Say - Our MC was the supposed villain of the novel whereas the original protag was the pitiful disciple brother bullied by him, but then after countless schemes, the protag finally managed to kill the villain using their master's sword. Long story short, our MC was reborn and he found a mysterious book that told the stories of their life, turned out it was the novel of their world. MC finally realized why he kept on getting framed again and again, and why the pathetic disciple brother could actually step over him. He and his master then tried to fight the Dao of the world. I haven't read too far yet but that's the gist of it.

Demintika and MrSplashy like this.
  19. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter - got isekaid to an otome game she used to play and is now in the body of the villain. Realized that the event's in the game is illogical. Something she didn't consider when she was just playing it.

Also
    These situations really exists because of a crappy author to be honest. Especially the first and second examples. These are a decent world building tool if utilized properly. Sadly that rarely happens with web novels.

Also your second example isn't always true. Let's not forget that they have cultivation. Qi is a resource. It has to come from somewhere. It is not impossible for it to become scarce. And considering the fact that those ancient civilizations are basically type I civilizations with qi as their energy source, the civilization will surely decline. And what about the lost cultivation techniques? Sects might have libraries but did you remember when the Library of Alexandria was burned down. Sure that was an accident; but the loosing defending sect might do that just to say f*ck you to the winning invading sect. Or it could be that the invading sects might just burn down the library.
    Also strong cultivators do not share their cultivation techniques since that is basically sharing their strength and weaknesses. So yes, a lot of the good ones is lost.

The third example is quite problematic since that would imply that the author is a god. Unless you're subverting something, that's a bad idea. The author's job is to tell a story not create a story. Again, it goes back to the ability of the author.
    Also the power system is defined by their cultivation techniques which were made by humans. And let's not forget a certain fact, it's magic. We don't know what it is. Hell, our own science literally has RNG. How well magic is defined is based on again, the skill of the author. If the power system is illogical, blame the author for not doing their job properly. Because a properly defined magic system wint have this problem. If you're looking for good hard magic systems, try the works of Brandon Sanderson.

My point is that it's more illogical for the protagonist to assume that the world they're in is illogical. Where did they gather the information? Did it came from a "powerhouse" or someone who's at the top. How reliable is the information that he recieved?

You're looking for a subversion in the genre. A subversion on the brainless power fantasy that a lot of web novel authors always do.

It seems to me that you're just salty that web novels are sh*t. Well, now you know. Web novels at the end are just a test bed for the author's writing skill.

MrSplashy likes this.
  20. samsarawithwords

samsarawithwords Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My novel is a parody/satire of web novels/manga/anime. It's a modern comedy. The protagonist starts to think he is an MC and openly deals with a lot of cliches and tropes.Top rankings on webnovel.com
    My Pick Up Artist System
    upload_2020-12-14_2-59-55.png