Recommendations Looking to read some JP light novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Nom de Plume, May 22, 2018.

1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    As stated in the title, I am looking to read some JP light novels. My reading list is full of CNs and I feel like it’s been a long time.
    Please include:
    Title (NU link is appreciated)
    What you like about it

I am looking for:
    • Plot
    • At least somewhat lighthearted
    I’d like to avoid:
    • Harem
    • Rape
    • Excessive amount of lolis
    • Transmigration into a hero world
    • Transmigration into a yandere/otome world
    • Edgy
    I’m still willing to read stuff from the second list, but I’m looking for something unique and feel like I keep running into these types of novels. The cookie cutter has gotten a little old and I’d like to read something different. Absolutely recommend your fav if you feel it’s a must read even if it contains some of those elements. ^_^

Thanks to anyone that answers!

2. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to say Arifureta, but it got quite a lot from second list and you wouldn't get past 2 arcs where it looks like cookie cutter harem... The Story is good tho and don't let others who stopped reading at those 2 arcs tell you otherwise.

3. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary-san comes on foot
    It's completed

Nom de Plume and otaku31 like this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. ruifung

ruifung Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
    I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated (WN)
    Demon Girl ~Tale of a Lax Demon~
    Fire Girl
    I Became the Demon Lord and my Territory is an Uninhabited Island
    Is the Strongest in Another World a Hero? A Demon Lord? No! it’s a Fairy ~desu!
    Isekai Yururi Kikou ~Raising Children While Being an Adventurer~
    Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
    Lazy Dungeon Master
    Mezametara Chikashitsu!? ~Tensei Shoujo no Yume no Saki~
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending
    The Magus of Genesis
    The Death Mage Who Doesn’t Want a Fourth Time (albit has harem, but not cringy)
    Ouroboros Record ~Circus of Oubeniel~ (Slightly dark, but entertaining.)
    Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken (WN)

EDIT: Mhm, doesn't look like NUF autolinking works perfectly lmao.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  6. ruifung

ruifung Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but if you last to the end of the main story... after story is better then main story IMO.

MrLLama likes this.
  7. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmm I read that a long time ago on (I think japtem?) and I believe I remember liking it. I’ve forgotten most of the story though and I think I need to start it over.

Completed is a great reason to like something :blobsmilehappy:
    My favourite completed novel (other than the obvious infamous Invisible Dragon) is this one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/sansheng-wangchuan-wu-shang/
    I recommend it to everybody :blobwink:

The title seems misleading, but I shall trust you and add it to the list!!!

You missed https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-reincarnated-into-an-otome-game-as-a-villainess-with-only-destruction-flags/ . I recommend if you haven’t read it :eek: (your list made me think of it instantly)
    Also the autolinking is set up one by one. Feel free to report the ones that don’t link to forum mods such as @Tony :blobsmilehappyeyes:
    You’ve upped my motivation to read it again hehe

Note: The auto link to I.D. was a complete accident xD It’s a fun story but it’s intentionally (or so we hope) bad in many many ways so I don’t recommend it too often though it’s a hidden gem.

otaku31 likes this.
  8. ruifung

ruifung Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Albit, finding the earlier chapters of the WN is ... difficult, although J-Novel Club is up to around the first half of the main story already.

I'd say narrative wise, the LN is basically the same as the WN. With a bit more content.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. Tokanya

Tokanya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  10. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Sabruness and Nom de Plume like this.
  11. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks really good!! Thanks :D
    Spice and Wolf!!!! That brings back memories.
    the second has somehow made it onto my yet to start list without getting read hmmm... going to have to up my game and actually get on that. ;) The first is really good, but I ended up dropping it when the narrative drastically changed. :blobfearful: I do want to learn more about Shiro, but will have to wait for the right mood before I pick it up again.

Fi likes this.
  13. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Trust me, you won't regret it.

Another one I would recommend is To Be a Power in the Shadows! I would say that this novel has many elements you are trying to avoid. Heck, even I am not fond of most of the tags/elements of this story.

I hate the MC. I cringe at the high-level Chuunibyou. And I am always thinking of dropping it. But I end up getting depressed if I skip.

It's addictive, like a drug. And like nitrous oxide, it compels you to laugh once you get a whiff of it. Read at your own risk.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  14. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Laugh aye? Laughing is good!

Also, I like Absolute Choice and A Will Eternal so there’s a big chance I will like it ^_^

otaku31 likes this.
  15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kaze no Stigma and Shakugan no Shana. I loved how the authors subtly developed the female lead over time. At one point for each, I reread and couldn't recognize them. I didn't even notice they developed before then.

Valhalla no Ban Gohan. I always imagine a heroic pig doing everything, and it cracks me up.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. It's heavy, but definitely worth it.

Clockwork Planet. The intricate setting and funny characters make it a great read.

Magdala de Nemure. I haven't actually read this, but I've always wanted to. Spice & Wolf too. Same for Accel World. And if Baka Test is as funny as its anime....

Sword Art Online. Don't let the anti-hype keep you from giving it a shot. It's easy to like, has some 20+ volumes translated iirc, and the author has been building up to something.

Heavy Object. Mechas + vulgar jokes. Enough said.

Mondaiji-tachi. The multiple MCs can be frustrating, but it also gives the author plenty of leeway for each arc's plot.

Chrome Shelled Regios. This one is impressive because the author had the guts to freeze out the MC for a certain period.

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu. It has banter as awesome as Kaze no Stigma's and Heavy Object's, both of which are also memorable for their banter.

Gekkou. It's interesting and short. Can't say much more tbh.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. Individualistic characters, stellar worldbuilding, and a comprehensive and fully-fledged magic system. Still being translated, too.

Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi. I'm not sure how to describe this one either. It has a lot of facets, but none stands out to the point I can focus on it above the others.

Madan no Ou to Vanadis. I feel this one is closest to Western fantasy among the LNs.

Manuscript Screening Boy and Manuscript Submitting Girl. Fluff. Very fluffy fluff.

Campione. The twist on mythology is intriguing. It also has Highschool DxD-esque fanservice, if that interests you.

PS: Didn't see your cons list, but I feel all of these are good enough to try anyway. I avoided the "cliche" LNs I usually recommend because they were the forerunners. The novels released before the cliche became a cliche, such as Infinite Stratos.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  16. raikun1209

raikun1209 Wandering Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    I was gonna recommend Rokujyouma no Shinryakusha!? but then i saw you don't like harem. But it's not like the other cringy harem out there. The girls have personalities and they get so much character development as the story goes by. It's already at 30 volumes counting the 2 side stories.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    mondaiji tachi - best world ever with a great protag, quite a bit of worldbuilding and full of myths and thought experiments, no romance or harem but with three leads finding a favorite char would be eazy

index without the shithead called index - like seriously touma and misaka and spoiler chars alone are more than enough to make this a real classic. Coupled with worldbuilding, more misaka and more more misaka this is awesome. Kind of harem and there is a loli shithead called index but everything has its weakpoints.

Seikai no Monshou - scifi, no big robots and shiz, well defined chars and the lore and worldbuilding in this is just too vast, a whole language exists plus space battles,
    monshou is the prequel and Seikai no Senki is the sequel. official trans of monshou can be found "somewhere" . For senki the first three vols are covered in anime ,fourth one is tramslated and fifth one is not translated.

allison - detective adventure story with char development and mystery. the world is really awesome and set in like the time aeroplanes where started being in mass use. Also read the three sequels

Owari no Chronicle,horizon - quirkiest characters ever, horizon can be a lot confusing at start (like durararara level confusing) but get past it and you find yourself a well thought out,diverse and out there world. same for Owari no Chronicle except it is less confusing

Spice and Wolf - its Spice and Wolf,do i really need to explain?

Baka to Test - love triangle, a girl is chosen at end, sort of, hilarious and the naive mc is one of the best things about this.

Sukasuka - i know it is filled with lolis but just read it. Lighthearted just enough that when tragedy falls or chars die in a ditch your heart gets wrecked in agony.

kino no tabi - episodic, philosophical and just unique

i will edit and go on adding reasons and stuff

Nom de Plume likes this.
  18. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! Characterization ! *has tears of joy*

Mmm the Alicization Ark is by far my favorite. I’ve been hoping for the anime to catch up to that since season 1 was released. Tbh, I have little hope. :sob:

En! Your list is still really well thought out, so thanks !!!
    I don’t dislike them, just looking for some variety. It feels like a lot of novels go the harem route. If the story is good, I’ll read it regardless!
    thanks!

19. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    wanna binge together some novel?
    i am adding reasons and more novels to above post right now btw

20. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m reading between other things and can afford only very little binging unfortunately. :(
    I look forward to the specific recommendations tho ^_^

I’ll be digesting these slowly, but surely.

Ddraig likes this.